Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Surprising complimentary transpacific upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprising complimentary transpacific upgrade

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rxziebel
Not quite an accurate comparison. Would a restaurant comp a 48oz Porterhouse that was already cooked and was being thrown out because it was not sold? Perfectly good steak but can't be held any longer and either has to be served now or discarded. Apples to apples.
Not going to give it to the customer for same reason as Delta. You create an environment where people start to expect they'll get it for free.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I still remember the rare days of a true complimentary UG. PMNW folks remember these as the phantom UG's.
Old May 31, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mot29

Which is a very different approach from NW in the last few years of its existence. NW surprised Plats (highest status level) with ‘phantom’ upgrades, at the gate 10 minutes before boarding.
I’ve retired so only travel for myself now — and my strategy is to use my GUCs when I can, shop for Z bargains, and use miles.
The phantom upgrade program was a program that existed for a brief time prior to the merger. It certainly wasn’t a decades long program. And I believe it was limited to five upgrades per flight. I got a couple out them of DTW to AMS and LHR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.