Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“The captain has advised us to stay seated...”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2019, 5:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc

so maybe in the last 6 or so months I have started hearing during the usual 10k feet speech sometimes “the captain has advised us to remain seated until the seatbelt light is off for service” and 9/10 times it’s a smooth ride.

Is this a new thing? Is it in the script now? (Most flights at 10k feet they get up and are starting work) is it to shorten the time of “actual” work?

i don’t need a drink that bad (and now just bring my own soda on board so I can use a laptop still) but am curious if this is just certain FAs adding this or the new corporate speech?

Edit: This is not meant to be a griping post or anything its meant to just ask a question because I am curious. I wouldnt write in to DL about this as it would be silly

Last edited by vincentharris; May 18, 2019 at 5:30 am
Old May 18, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I noticed this announcement the other day, but it actually was a bumpy ride.
Old May 18, 2019, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
[LEFT]so maybe in the last 6 or so months I have started hearing during the usual 10k feet speech sometimes “the captain has advised us to remain seated until the seatbelt light is off for service” and 9/10 times it’s a smooth ride.

Is this a new thing? Is it in the script now? (Most flights at 10k feet they get up and are starting work) is it to shorten the time of “actual” work?
Did you consider the possibility (and granted, this is a longshot) that the captain advised them to remain seated?
Often1, bubbashow and nancypants like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Old May 18, 2019, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not new and it is not confined to DL. The wording may be part of a script designed to explain why there is a delay in service but without causing worry to nervous passengers.

DL does not equip its flight deck with crystal balls which permit the Captain to forecast turbulence with 100% certainty. Thus, the Captain relies on training, experience, and "ride reports" from other aircraft in the area, as well as cautions from ATC, to determine when there is a likelihood of turbulence.

Much of the time, the turbulence may have been very temporary or localized and thus your aircraft is not affected. But, good safety practice works the other way. Better that your coffee arrives 5 minutes late than scalding on your lap.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
I've started to drive when flights (wheels up > wheels down) are <1 hour (I'm based in Atlanta).
Between no cabin service (probably the least of my issues), MX, WX, drive to/from airport, TSA (even PRE and CLEAR), and other hassles, I'm done.
Oh, and flights are $500-$650 for those routes.
Spiff, hi55us and nancypants like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Ever since a Delta flight attendant broke her arm in turbulence, they've been more sensitive than usual. It'll go back to normal eventually.
lindros2 and nancypants like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Plat
I heard this on my last two flights but both were really bumpy. one so much so I wanted to reach for a barf bag
Old May 18, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by lindros2
I've started to drive when flights (wheels up > wheels down) are <1 hour (I'm based in Atlanta).
Between no cabin service (probably the least of my issues), MX, WX, drive to/from airport, TSA (even PRE and CLEAR), and other hassles, I'm done.
1 hour flight time may be a bit much (as opposed to 1 hour block time).. but yes, if something is less than a 4-4.5 hour drive (and you can avoid traffic) then it's a no-brainer to drive in my opinion. Really depends partly on where your actual O and D points are (e.g., if you live far north of Atlanta and your destination is south Nashville).

For me, I leave my house about 90 minutes before my flight on average - sometimes a bit more if traffic is bad, but that's a good rule of thumb. Assume an hour block time, and 30-45 minutes to get to your true final destination, and in theory you're at your destination in just over 3 hours - which is faster than 4 hours. But flying has risks as you noted, and the intermodal nature (Uber -> security -> gate -> boarding -> flight -> deboarding -> uber/rental -> get to destination) is far more stressful (in my opinion) than car -> destination. On the flip side, you can theoretically work while flying, but with block times so short that benefit is trivial at best.
Old May 18, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by lindros2
Do you stay seated and fasten your seat-belt when in your car? My car even has an annoying announcement it makes if I try to unbuckle my seat belt and get up even when the pavment is perfectly smooth.

Is true though that my car alarm system is a hell of a lot easier to deal with than TSA :-)
Old May 18, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I'm hearing this increasingly too, even during light or little to no turbulence. The US is way too obsessed with the seatbelt sign (probably because of the litigation-happy culture, I get it).

I do notice DL FA's are much less likely to loudly exclaim "THE SEATBELT SIGN IS ON!" in your face though if you dare to use the lavatory when it's on than UA's are!
cmd320 and Spiff like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
I've noticed pilots from US-based airlines are much quicker to hit the seatbelt sign than their international counterparts, and I suspect (as another poster mentioned) it has to do with liability. If you're up and about during turbulence and you get hurt and the seatbelt sign is on, you've basically waived your right to sue because you were disregarding a lighted information sign. Having said that, to my knowledge there are only two periods during which "sit with your seatbelt fastened" is a hard and fast requirement: during takeoff and landing. The rest of the time it's semi-required. If the seatbelt sign is on and you want to stretch your legs, FAs can and will yell at you. But other than takeoff and landing, they cannot legally prevent you from heeding the call of nature. Some get pretty aggressive and in your face (though I've not seen that on Delta), others will "inform you that the seatbelt sign is on" while winking and nudging their heads toward the lav, letting you know it's all good. (Circumstances also vary. If you're on a 45 minute flight, you should usually be able to deal with it. If you're 4 hours into a TATL/TPAC flight and the seatbelt sign has yet to come off... that's a different story.)
cmd320, nancypants and JustinTJ like this.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ethernal
Ever since a Delta flight attendant broke her arm in turbulence, they've been more sensitive than usual. It'll go back to normal eventually.
or, perhaps more likely, it’ll become the new normal :/
Old May 18, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by reimero
I've noticed pilots from US-based airlines are much quicker to hit the seatbelt sign than their international counterparts, and I suspect (as another poster mentioned) it has to do with liability. If you're up and about during turbulence and you get hurt and the seatbelt sign is on, you've basically waived your right to sue because you were disregarding a lighted information sign. Having said that, to my knowledge there are only two periods during which "sit with your seatbelt fastened" is a hard and fast requirement: during takeoff and landing. The rest of the time it's semi-required. If the seatbelt sign is on and you want to stretch your legs, FAs can and will yell at you. But other than takeoff and landing, they cannot legally prevent you from heeding the call of nature. Some get pretty aggressive and in your face (though I've not seen that on Delta), others will "inform you that the seatbelt sign is on" while winking and nudging their heads toward the lav, letting you know it's all good. (Circumstances also vary. If you're on a 45 minute flight, you should usually be able to deal with it. If you're 4 hours into a TATL/TPAC flight and the seatbelt sign has yet to come off... that's a different story.)
I have been on TPAC flights operated by Asian carriers where the seat-belt sign never turns off. Everybody ignores the sign anyway. If they really want passengers to sit down they announce it.

I have long since realized the sign means almost nothing. If the crew is instructed to remain in seats (explicit or implicit), so will I. If not, I stay seated and belted unless I need to get up.

BTW, I have never on any flight had any FA ever get "aggressive" in any way about me getting up despite the sign. On DL they will sometimes have an announcement made to sit down is all.
Old May 18, 2019, 2:15 pm

On my my two recent Delta connection flights, the FAs made the same announcement when someone decided to get up and use the lavatory when we were still climbing. The FAs were still strapped in and there was no GoGo wifi, so I’m assuming we didn’t hit 10K yet.

Originally Posted by demkr
I do notice DL FA's are much less likely to loudly exclaim "THE SEATBELT SIGN IS ON!" in your face though if you dare to use the lavatory when it's on than UA's are!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.