Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New DTW Skyclub (Open Dec 2021)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
The pink area is TSA security screening,
The white area, on the left side is TSA office. Not sure what the white area in the middle on the right side, but I believe it was leased office space for awhile. I assume the new SkyClub will take over this area.

The clubs don't have access to the train platform since the track is in the way. The end stations are only single-tracked, where the mid-station the loading platform is between the two tracks.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Interesting that they seem to be using the exact same rendering they put on the banner at MSP for the remodeled C club.
I noticed the same thing. I wonder if they are actually using the same design or if it is a more generic rendering to just give a sense of the way it will look?
jrkmsp likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I noticed the same thing. I wonder if they are actually using the same design or if it is a more generic rendering to just give a sense of the way it will look?
Believe that 2020 computer rendering has now been used for DTW A41, MSP C and MSP G.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Will it be another generic Delta Sky Club, or might Delta make this a “premium” lounge like United has with their Polaris lounges?
Old May 14, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kavok
Will it be another generic Delta Sky Club, or might Delta make this a “premium” lounge like United has with their Polaris lounges?

If they were going to introduce premium lounges, I suspect they would have announced that by now. Also, DTW would likely be behind airports like JFK, LAX, and ATL to get one. More than likely just a capacity add that will reduce crowding in centerpoint A and will primarily draw DTW origin pax due to location.

Last edited by xliioper; May 14, 2019 at 8:32 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by kavok
Originally Posted by xliioper
If they were going to introduce premium lounges, I suspect they would have announced that by now. Also, DTW would likely be behind airports like JFK, LAX, and ATL to get one. More than likely just a capacity add that will reduce crowding in centerpoint A and will primarily draw DTW origin pax due to location.
Agree that this is not a premium lounge. In addition to what xliioper said, I also think they would not roll out a business class lounge without also introducing a brand for it. It might be the Delta One lounge or something like that, but I don't think that they would just call it Sky Club.
Old May 16, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
A "club-side" bridge would be awesome, allowing you to move from one club to the other, without having to re-clear security (er, club check-in)! . If your club is out of chocolate chip cookies, just cross the bridge to the other one.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
DTW does not need a premium lounge.

That said, better food options would be welcomed. Also, perhaps one club should not be self-serve and have top-shelf liquor. Perhaps A38 can be that now that they have moved everybody from customer service downstairs? The bar could be on the table previously used.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:53 pm

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I much prefer a staffed bar. The self service drink areas always end up looking messy, especially when the club us crowded. A good compromise is to have a separate area with a soda fountain, coffee tea & water for self service.
jrkmsp likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
I think that the original PHX photos looked a lot like this. I think it’s a generic version of the new look that is less red and blueish.
Old May 17, 2019, 5:03 am

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I much prefer a staffed bar. The self service drink areas always end up looking messy, especially when the club us crowded. A good compromise is to have a separate area with a soda fountain, coffee tea & water for self service.
I agree with the self-service bar getting messy, but the ability to give myself an "honest" pour far outweighs this negative, IMO.

Now, if they could just get rid of those dastardly, measured spouts ... dare to dream, dare to dream.
HDQDD likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was in DTW the other day and there looked like there might be construction activity on new club above The Economist store. Also, there was a sign saying the A68 club is currently closed for renovations.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:47 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I was through there this week. Both clubs will remain open, this club is additional space as the current club gets way too crowded at peak times. (This is according to the staff I asked). The new location will have a full service luxury bar. The current location will be closed in sections to remodel it to the look of the new club.

At least this is what I am told.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:58 pm

Picture of the presumed eventual entrance. Located at the bottom of the central tram station’s north escalator.

Last edited by kavok; Feb 29, 2020 at 4:32 am
Old May 16, 2020, 8:03 am

Anyone know if this is still happening? Obviously the opening may be pushed back if demand is not there, and I could also see there also being some construction delays due to the lockdowns. But basically just curious if this project is still in the works, or if it was cancelled?

Arguably, if demand continues to be low through the summer, it might make sense to complete this club now, open it (as it has a smaller footprint than the current main club), and use the opportunity to close down and finally renovate the usually packed main DTW club. With demand being down, and construction costs low, what better time than now to do that renovation?
dtwlarry likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.