Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Snack Basket Losing Variety?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
A couple of recent flights, I actually had wondered if FAs were creating snack baskets for F because of the length of the flight and the amount of time after the hot meal service. It seemed to be fewer choices than some other C+ flights. Basically just the standard Y4 (peanuts, biscoff, kind, GF orange things), with maybe KitKats added.

But then, C+ selections got more meager. So I do think the bean counters have won.

From DL's Investor's page
Cost Performance
Total adjusted operating expense for the March quarter increased $510 million versus the prior year quarter. CASM-Ex was down 0.2 percent for the March quarter 2019 compared to the prior year period driven by record operations, a shift in expense timing and strong cost controls.
(emphasis added)
Old May 14, 2019, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Bananas are my go-to, which have been noticibly absent on more and more flights these days.

That being said, I really miss the Sanders Sea Salt Chocolates they used to have a few years ago. Agree the bland options now are very depressing.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by kavok
Bananas are my go-to, which have been noticibly absent on more and more flights these days.

That being said, I really miss the Sanders Sea Salt Chocolates they used to have a few years ago. Agree the bland options now are very depressing.
Yes, me too! Not only were they great but, as a bit of nostalgia, my parents met at Fred Sanders original store in downtown Detroit 83 years ago.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:55 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Sunday night in F I had one snack basket pass which was completely full of the coach offerings, plus exactly one lone banana. Sad.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Same terrible selection DTW - DCA with, however, 4 bananas. And I love the almonds, so I was good. Miss those square cookies and the salted caramels.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
My SDQ Flights have horrible baskets. Stale Kit Kats (yuck) been disappointed more than once with a stale kit kat. the Kind Bars are the only good thing on it besides the Chips. Sometimes Doritos, Sometimes Lays Kettle Chips.

The bananas tend to be spotted like a leopard and the almonds while I love almonds I dislike the delta almonds.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Its becoming more and more Junk Food, downhill for sure. Perhaps the masses prefer that, but I prefer something more nutritious - often buying the cheese plate from Y. Why can't DL offer a simple appetizer in F on non-meal flights?
Old May 22, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Well, I remember back in the early Mullin years with the Skydeli and the "turkey twinkie" and then the austerity move to get rid of that, leaving you with an apple and a cookie, if memory serves. Seemed like a perfect example at the time of unimaginative cost-cutting...it may have even come from an employee suggestion from some not-so-bright employee who thought they were being bright.

But then, the whole Skydeli concept was as a cheaper way to do a coach meal on a medium-haul flight, and by today's standards it's supposedly a real extravagance because now we'd make pax pay for any food. So the floor has been lowered. But the mentality stays consistent.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Its becoming more and more Junk Food, downhill for sure. Perhaps the masses prefer that, but I prefer something more nutritious - often buying the cheese plate from Y. Why can't DL offer a simple appetizer in F on non-meal flights?
Not to get overly political, but if u look at what food types are cheap and subsidized (the processed junk) and what types aren't (whole foods like an apple), the cost advantage is very much with the former. ATL is a good distance from Washington state but one of my favorite comparisons has been that at times you could buy a box of those Little Debbie snacks for the same cost as one apple (or two if on sale). The Little Debbie boxes will also go a lot farther toward 2,000 daily calories, even though they're empty calories.

Delta could hold out a teeny-tiny bit for something remotely nutritious, or they could give in to the dark side and just get the cheapest processed thingey.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old May 25, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
As terrible as AA can be, they get this right.
defrosted likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:39 am

Programs: DL Plat
bananas are back in the y basket! both of my two tcon's in y this week had them...the other snacks were the boring new choices though :/
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Look at what’s back! Just had these on GRR>ATL this afternoon!!!
ab2013, NotHamSarnie, ryw and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Good to see those Michel et Augustin cookies and not a cheap bag of Oreos. Popcorners are good to see too!

Assuming that they didn't bump up the catering budget or get a better deal from GateNotGourmet ... now I'm wondering what they cut corners on...
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ab2013
Good to see those Michel et Augustin cookies and not a cheap bag of Oreos. Popcorners are good to see too!

Assuming that they didn't bump up the catering budget or get a better deal from GateNotGourmet ... now I'm wondering what they cut corners on...
You might have missed my earlier post. The snack basket is a revenue generator. DL charges what is essentially a slotting fee for manufacturers to have their product in the snack basket.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
I also saw the kettle (sweet) Pop Corners last weekend out of JFK, but not the Michel et Augustin cookies. The white cheddar ones are better IMO.

I still think that it is more likely someone found a stray box of the cookies than a sign they are being added back system-wide, but I hope I am wrong. I also hope I am wrong that this division of DL would rather get larger slotting fees from bigger companies to display a "family" of their snacks than making smaller individual deals with more unique items. The return of Pop Corners is encouraging, although they are also sold at warehouse clubs, so definitely not a "treasure hunt" item like Stroopwafels and the salted caramels among others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.