Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GUC Upgrade got canceled after boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus

Got upgraded (GUC) to business class on DTW - SIN using my GUC. But pushed back to premium because the Pilot decided to use my seat in business class. Is this unusal or common?
Old May 10, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Got upgraded (GUC) to business class on DTW - SIN using my GUC. But pushed back to premium because the Pilot decided to use my seat in business class. Is this unusal or common?
If you are a DM with GUCs then I'm sure you know this isn't common. But when were you upgraded? In advance or at the gate? What compensation did they give you? I would ask for the GUC to be given back in addition to miles or dollars. Once you're upgraded they have a right to involuntarily downgrade you, but you should get something for it.

Last edited by Billy Mumphrey; May 10, 2019 at 11:35 am
Old May 10, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
Wait, is that a direct flight? I thought you had to stop at ICN or NRT. If so, which one were you going to.

Was this on delta metal or Korean?

This isn't common, both of those routes (DTW - ICN, DTW - NRT) are A350s. The A350 has a dedicated pilot crew rest module in the front, and a dedicated FA crew rest module in the back.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Im suspecting it might not be an on-duty pilot, but a pilot in uniform. This doesn't mean this is even a DL pilot and it could be one even traveling on a walk up fare. In any respect you shouldnt have been downgraded, but there are a lot more details that would need to be clear here.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Were you upgraded in advance or at the gate? If it was done in advance, was your ticket properly reissued and did you experience any problems at check in? Did this happen at DTW or NRT? Were you upgraded and then downgraded on both segments DTW-NRT and NRT-SIn or only one (and which one)? [IIRC the direct flight into SIN is from SEA, not DTW, but this could have changed. Also DL considers a GUC to be used if it is applied to upgrade even one short segment, so if you sat in D1 for part of the trip, DL will probably resist returning the GUC to you.] Did you have a purchased PS ticket with the GUC used for the D1 upgrade or was it a coach ticket, where a PS upgrade with the GUC was or was not (specify one) requested?

Were you watching the upgrade list on the app? Were there other upgrades into D1 and did anyone clear into D1 from the standby list.

Also, how was this done? By the GA/redcoat (if the door was still open), the purser, or did a pilot just walk up to you?

I don't know whether it's exactly a rule, but normally the last person upgraded is the first to be downgraded, although sometimes this doesn't work when a specific seat is needed, such as for a FAM, especially if there's a time crunch.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Agree that this was probably not an on-duty pilot. I am guessing that there was a last minute need to get a pilot to Asia, perhaps for a return flight due to a sick crew member or something of that nature. In this case the pilot would, I think, be entitled to confirmed J seating, and that DL would downgrade and, if needed, IDB to another pax to accommodate.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by teCh0010
Wait, is that a direct flight? I thought you had to stop at ICN or NRT. If so, which one were you going to.

Was this on delta metal or Korean?

This isn't common, both of those routes (DTW - ICN, DTW - NRT) are A350s. The A350 has a dedicated pilot crew rest module in the front, and a dedicated FA crew rest module in the back.
Does DL use the A350 or offer PS on the NRT-SIN segment?

DL had been doing a direct flight SEA-NRT-SIN with the same flight number but an aircraft change but this might have changed.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 11, 2019 at 7:56 pm Reason: typos
Old May 10, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
Shouldn't this happen before you board the plane, so you can decide to take e.g., the next flight in confirmed J (if you have the time?).
Very tricky one IMO. I'd be very annoyed but at the same time, if they had handled the pilot first you would never have gotten the upgrade.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Juts landed at NRT, at the skyclub. This is DL0275. I am flying DTW-NRT-SIN. Delta metal AIRBUS A350-900. Just Before boarding at DTW, I got upgraded and see my seat now is 9C, I am using GUC. I get settled in the seat, 10 minutes after, delta gate attendent came to me and apologizes, tells me that Pilot want to use my seat and I can either go back to main cabin (original) or a middle seat Premium Select. I just choose the Premium select. During the flight, I check 7C many times it is empty, no one occupied. I spoke to the flight attendent, and she says something like pilot seat is broken (Not exact, but something close) and want to use the seat, This is not off duty pilot, but the one in the cockpit.

I still need to use GUC as i am wait listed for NRT-SIN

Last edited by Love_Travel; May 11, 2019 at 12:18 am
Old May 11, 2019, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's more to this. The pilot doesn't decide to take a seat - the pilot (on extended flights) is entitled to a working seat meeting FAA-specified crew rest requirements for pilot staffing and flight duration. If the designated crew rest seat was broken I can imagine a passenger seat being taken. The primary alternatives to that? Delaying the flight for the pilot seat to be fixed, or cancelling the flight.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.1061
Old May 11, 2019, 9:22 am

delta gate attendent came to me and apologizes, tells me that Pilot want to use my seat and I can either go back to main cabin (original) or a middle seat Premium Select. I just choose the Premium select.
I still need to use GUC as i am wait listed for NRT-SIN

I think you'd have a chance of getting the GUC back even though you took the upgrade to Premium Select (this would also burn a GUC). I would contact DL after your trip and explain that you were downgraded even though you used a GUC.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:08 pm

So the forward crew rest pod in the A350 should have two beds and a chair. Not sure what type of issue with the rest pod would cause the pilot to claim a Delta One seat for crew rest (they would probably rather have a dark bunk with ful curtains), the more likely thing is probably that they had to positive space someone to NRT To pick up a leg.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:11 pm

When I have taken it DL uses a 767 NRT - SIN and used 747 and now 350 for DTW to NRT.
Old May 11, 2019, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Definitely get your GUC back. Maybe they'll throw some extra miles your way as well (and will definitely in lieu of returning your GUC if they refuse).

-RM
Old May 11, 2019, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Definitely get your GUC back. Maybe they'll throw some extra miles your way as well (and will definitely in lieu of returning your GUC if they refuse).

-RM

Technically OP would not be entitled to the GUC being redeposited because OP accepted the upgrade to Premium Select from coach. However, I suggested that OP ask for it back anyway because it's not clear that OP would have actually wanted to use the GUC for PS, but it's a different situation when the GA walks on the plane to downgrade you and offers you coach or PS. If you select coach, who knows what seat you are going to get, and I imagine it was also a situation where OP did not really have time to think or compare options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.