Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Select fare shenanigans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
I recently flew LAX-PVG on a great Premium Select fare. I used miles to upgrade to Delta One both ways. I was expecting 150% MQM given it was a Premium Select fare, but I got off the plane a few hours ago and it has posted at 100%.

I DMed Twitter and they came back saying the fare basis was actually a fare code of X. I encountered a similar thing trying to upgrade with miles — an agent insisted I needed to upfare to a “real” G fare, but I was able to HUCA and process it successfully.

I booked this directly with Delta (via bookwithmatrix) and am a bit disappointed they’re trying to play games with what appear to be basically Y-ups to PS, but aren’t real PS. When I booked via Delta, the displayed fare class was G, and in my receipts it’s listed as G.

Has anyone else dealt with this?
A similar situation happened to me last year booking a third party website (Orbitz) and flying on VS in Premium Economy. Orbitz listed the flight in "K" class but the ticket code was an "X" fare aka their Economy Light or second to lowest fare class. I agree with you a travel savvy passenger should know what the actual fare class is so they know what return they will be getting on the ticket.

OPS
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by newfie
How many miles needed to upgrade on these fares?

45K for me (HND to LAX) from PS seat to D1
kthomas and newfie like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You should try to check your fare code and fare rules, for example using EF if you didn't grab this information at the time of booking.
Not everyone has an EF account and one shouldn't have to pay for one just to verify fare codes. Also as I'm doing a dummy booking on DL's website I cannot find anything (short of actually purchasing a ticket) that shows you what the fare code is. An LAX-PVG in premium select is showing "A" class and that's it.

OPS
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by mattya9
Not everyone has an EF account and one shouldn't have to pay for one just to verify fare codes.

OPS
Not only that - Delta's own website clearly states that MQM are earned at 150% for tickets in P,A,G. If someone buys a ticket on DL's website that shows a P/A/G fare class (which PS should), there should be no further discussion needed about what MQM earning is. Everything else is at best shenanigans and at worst false advertising.
ijgordon, mattya9 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:05 am

Agree it is confusing. I had a similar experience with a PS fare (DL ticket and Virgin Atlantic operated). Reticketed at check in due to "flight time" change. Received no miles. Took months to get the MQMs. Initially told via Plat line will post in 2 days. Then told by Plat line that Skymiles desk said you don't earn MQMs for a "complementary upgrade". Plat line agreed I should get the MQMs but SkyMiles desk wouldn't budge. Twitter eventually got me to the skymiles desk and via email exchange they finally saw the fare was a "G" fare (to several emails even after I sent them screen shots of initial receipt). Clearly, when reticketed, it doesn't seem to remember the purchased fare (at least that's my impression). I am no expert, but if the fare says "G" when choosing the flight, I would not know how to look for an underlying fare code.

With the recent purchased PS fare it said "G" on the initial emailed receipt but now says "OY" on the receipt after the purchased upgrade.

Fingers crossed..

Last edited by DLX5; Apr 15, 2019 at 4:26 pm
Old Apr 15, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DLX5
Agree it is confusing. I had a similar experience with a PS fare (DL ticket and Virgin Atlantic operated). Reticketed at check in due to "flight time" change. Received no miles. Took months to get the MQMs. Initially told via Plat line will post in 2 days. Then told by Plat line that Skymiles desk said you don't earn MQMs for a "complementary upgrade". Plat line agreed I should get the MQMs but SkyMiles desk wouldn't budge. Twitter eventually got me to the skymiles desk and via email exchange they finally saw the fare was a "G" fare (to several emails even after I sent them screen shots of initial receipt). Clearly, when reticketed, it doesn't seem to remember the purchased fare (at least that's my impression). I am no expert, but it the fare says "G" when choosing the flight, I would not know how to look for an underlying fare code.

With the recent I purchased PS fare it said "G" on the initial emailed receipt but now says "OY" on the receipt after the purchased upgrade.

Fingers crossed..
I had the same experience with a ticket booked via MU. Delta says the ticket designator shows one class but my reservation and boarding pass show another (not upgraded, coach in 72K). It's not much but its enough that it pisses me off. Basically, DL says well its not what you see, it's what we see, so too bad. I don't want to end the argument but $300 MQDs won't impact me in the long run as I'll hit Diamond spend before June. If this impacted me, I would argue until they realized they were wrong.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
This is ridiculous. PVG-LAX, my return, didn’t post correctly, and Twitter is again claiming that I shouldn’t have gotten anything. Time to play phone roulette again?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you ever look at the fare code and fare rules? That would be the definitive way to see whether DL has sold you a coach fare with an instant upgrade to PS or not.
Here is a similar fare active right now, LLX03NPL.

Here is what shows up when you try to buy this fare via DL.com:

Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Same for me, LAX-PVG, in early Dec.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

A phone agent says they corrected it — we’ll see what happens but it’s amusingly inconsistent.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Twitter conceded that you should indeed get 150% MQM, FWIW, so if anyone else runs into this, maybe try quoting them.

Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This is all crazy. Delta customers should not have to know about any of this to get the promotions that DL promised them. You should not have to be an amateur travel agent to get a MQM bonus.
ijgordon, kthomas, Gerbs and 6 others like this.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Apr 16, 2019 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:39 am

Twitter conceded that you should indeed get 150% MQM, FWIW, so if anyone else runs into this, maybe try quoting them.

I will take a screen shot of your screen shot and file it away!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:41 am

A phone agent says they corrected it — we’ll see what happens but it’s amusingly inconsistent.

Did you receive the proper MQM's?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLX5
I will take a screen shot of your screen shot and file it away!
This could be interpreted to mean that if you have a cheap coach ticket and use miles or a GUC to get an upgrade or even get an OPUP, you will get 150% MQMs or even 200% if the OPUP books into FULL C/J. I don't think this is what DL means and it would be a big change in policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.