Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Path from nothing to DM in 9 months?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
I have 2 Amex cards, Reserve and Platinum, and in 2018 received a total of 75,000 MQM bonus (45,000 of those from the Reserve). If OP got a 2nd Reserve card, should he not be able to realize 120,000 MQM (which would require upping the personal spend to $90k, resulting in 3x 15k bonuses). The remaining 5,000 MQM could be had from a 2nd Platinum card or one easy MR trip.

Or am I missing something?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA Plat Pro, MLIfe Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Bite the bullet and deposit $50k ($100k for non card holders) into the Delta Private Jet program with an Amex Platinum as payment. Instant Diamond Medallion status! Then use the prepaid balance to enjoy discounted commercial flights on DL that are paid from that balance. Never have to set foot on a private jet. I just can't recall if you have one or two years to use up the balance. Even better is if you can sneak it by as an expense to the biz. (This was almost entirely satirical for anyone thinking I may have been serious).
Magna likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pittie Pup
...... I just can't recall if you have one or two years to use up the balance.....
2 years
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess your question is whether you can accumulate enough MQM without flying
Originally Posted by DeltaBluesLuvr
Yes, that is correct.
It is a waste of time...

The value of DM (or any status) won't show up until you use the status, i.e. flying.

So even assuming you could make DM with the MQM earned from credit card, the status still means nothing to you.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by garykung
It is a waste of time...

The value of DM (or any status) won't show up until you use the status, i.e. flying.

So even assuming you could make DM with the MQM earned from credit card, the status still means nothing to you.
As a DM who rarely flies you still get priority customer service when you call in, shorter waiting times on the phone and free redeposit for award tickets.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
I have 2 Amex cards, Reserve and Platinum, and in 2018 received a total of 75,000 MQM bonus (45,000 of those from the Reserve). If OP got a 2nd Reserve card, should he not be able to realize 120,000 MQM (which would require upping the personal spend to $90k, resulting in 3x 15k bonuses). The remaining 5,000 MQM could be had from a 2nd Platinum card or one easy MR trip.

Or am I missing something?
That was a one-time (apparently) DLAX offer. I don’t believe the third tier MQM boosts are being offered for 2019, and when they were last year it excluded BIZ cards (i.e. Personal Cards only).

In short, DLAX MQM boosts max out at 100K, unless you can get other DLAX Reserve cardmembers to gift you their MQM boosts (as I do by gifting my 60K worth of boosts to my wife to maintain her DM status).
pulpfiction78 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle

As a DM who rarely flies you still get priority customer service when you call in, shorter waiting times on the phone and free redeposit for award tickets.
All of which you can get with PM, which would be easy for the OP to reach.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: DL DM

And this for all the flights the OP is not taking and needs to call about
TheHorta likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:03 am

There are some tangible benefits of DM status - even if you fly only few times a year -
Premium boarding is the biggest, priority for upgrades, co-terminal, better IRROPS handling... may be even an occasional Porsche ride!

PS. And of course the free re-deposit of awards. If OP is going to have bunch of AMEX cards generating bunch of RDMs this is very good to have

Last edited by jeet; Mar 12, 2019 at 11:05 am Reason: added
Old Mar 12, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
OP just wants to shine bright like a diamond.

Boy... is he in for a surprise!

[yes, I realize OP could be a she, but I’m playing the odds]
krazykanuck, CarmenOM and SYRRDU like this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:03 pm

Bragging rights as a DM are very nice as is the red carpet treatment for someone who travels a few times per year and has his own business with a spend of upwards of $250,000 plus on AMEX cards.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You don't want to wait? Use a travel agent. Pay someone to do the job for you.

Also - speaking from experience as a UA 1K, I rarely book award travel. So while the free redeposit is good, it is not a benefit many top tiered elites use frequently.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jeet
There are some tangible benefits of DM status - even if you fly only few times a year -
Premium boarding is the biggest, priority for upgrades, co-terminal, better IRROPS handling... may be even an occasional Porsche ride!

PS. And of course the free re-deposit of awards. If OP is going to have bunch of AMEX cards generating bunch of RDMs this is very good to have
As was already pointed out, PMs also get the free award ticket cancel/redepoosit benefit.

I'm a charter DM (requalified every year) and my only Porsche ride was at the ATL Freddies that were held in the DL museum, so we didn't even take an excursion around the tarmac, although I did get a tarmac ride (IIRC to/from the SC) at the SEA ATL DO to thank the elite call center people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.