Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Service cancelled - reroute - fare difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I didn't think of this until now (someone mentioned it to me elsewhere).

Originally booked 2 First tickets (Z fare) from CZM to ALB for travel on 6/18/19. Tickets purchased on 10/25/18.
On or around 11/12/18 is when I found out that Delta cancelled all service to/from CZM except on Saturdays.
I had Delta re-route on 11/12/18 so that the return is via CUN instead.

Someone said if I'd asked Delta for a refund of the fare difference since typically CUN is cheaper than CZM.
I did not think of that.

Of course, NOW the fare is more.

So first:
I have no idea if this is something Delta would routinely do if asked.

Second:
I'd have no idea what the fare difference (if any) would be. I imagine Delta would know?

The BASE fare on the date of purchase for the original ticket was $385.00 The total after all the taxes and fee fees was approx. $475 (474.57)

Thank you.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
They'd offer a refund of what you paid. Not a fare difference.

Also using OW fares to pin down a fare decrease isn't going to work. You need to price it as the full RT you had vs the full RT you have now.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
They'd offer a refund of what you paid. Not a fare difference.

Also using OW fares to pin down a fare decrease isn't going to work. You need to price it as the full RT you had vs the full RT you have now.
Thanks. We never had a RT ticket on Delta. It was always one-way from CZM to ALB and then changed to CUN to ALB. We fly another airline on the way down. Although that may be a moot point if Delta's normal policy is you either cancel or change. I just didn't know if they'd even issue a credit for a fare difference if it was even a difference.

Last edited by hurnik; Mar 8, 2019 at 2:03 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If pushed, DL can research historical fares. You can usually see them on EF if you have a subscription.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If pushed, DL can research historical fares. You can usually see them on EF if you have a subscription.
This is likely. Since OP has added that he's flying a different airline for the outboubd this is within reality . It would have been difficult otherwise (time consuming) to otherwise do it with RT ticket with different destination and return points.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is not a question of refunding the fare difference. OP is entitled to a refund of the ticket as the flight has been cancelled. He may then purchase a new ticket, presumably xCUN. As it costs less, he will save the difference. It is possible that a random agent will refund the fare difference, but unlikely and not necessarily helpful.

The historical price of the xCUN ticket is irrelevant.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Often1
This is not a question of refunding the fare difference. OP is entitled to a refund of the ticket as the flight has been cancelled. He may then purchase a new ticket, presumably xCUN. As it costs less, he will save the difference. It is possible that a random agent will refund the fare difference, but unlikely and not necessarily helpful.

The historical price of the xCUN ticket is irrelevant.
It's not at all unlikely. In this situation, asking for his ticket to be repriced as ticketed using historical fares from the destination he got moved to is a completely reasonable request, and I would be shocked if Delta didn't do it for him.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SamOF
It's not at all unlikely. In this situation, asking for his ticket to be repriced as ticketed using historical fares from the destination he got moved to is a completely reasonable request, and I would be shocked if Delta didn't do it for him.
it may be a reasonable request. However it's not an easy thing for them to calculate most times. Since OP added he's only flying OW (other half is on OAL he mentions in later post) though it's fairly straight forward.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It may be both a reasonable ask and quite doable by DL. But, it is neither the practice nor required by OP's contract with DL. Thus, OP may get lucky and find an agent willing to go through this and find a supervisor to approve it. But, that is pure luck. Most likely, it will be a refund with the option to rebook at current prices.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All! I do have an EF sub, so I will start with that. For some reason it just never occurred to me to ask/check.
Thanks again for the advice and possible options and outcomes.
Very much appreciated!
Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by hurnik
Thanks All! I do have an EF sub, so I will start with that. For some reason it just never occurred to me to ask/check.
Thanks again for the advice and possible options and outcomes.
Very much appreciated!
I have done what you're describing, but for RT tickets, and despite the person arguing that you'd have to be lucky I didn't get the feeling that I was getting lucky.

When I have been rebooked my experience with DL and UA has been quite different.

With DL I just observed that since I was placed onto the cheaper flight, I wanted to be refunded the difference. It did take a few minutes, but I was able to have the accommodation made. I actually think the person ended up issuing me a flight credit that exceeded the difference now that I think about it, maybe that was easier.

With UA they regularly changed my routing so that instead of connecting SFO I would connect DEN, they gave me significantly more headache, but it was true that I'd paid $100 a ticket more for my preferred routing, and times.

This is the part I do also get confused about, because it is regularly pointed out that your route is not guaranteed, only the final destination, however we pay more for some routings than others...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Wimsta
With DL I just observed that since I was placed onto the cheaper flight, I wanted to be refunded the difference. It did take a few minutes, but I was able to have the accommodation made. I actually think the person ended up issuing me a flight credit that exceeded the difference now that I think about it, maybe that was easier.
Agreed. Actually I believe I have had an agent just tell me that they are issuing me a credit for later use because the new ticket is cheaper, without me ever asking. My assumption is that this is just standard practice. I would guess that OP's new ticket was more expensive, and due to the cancellation the agent waived any need to collect a change fee or fare difference.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My impression is that standard policy is that if you're rebooked, you don't pay more nor do you get a refund. An exception would be if a segment is cancelled and you just have it deleted from the ticket (so that you would take ground transportation, etc., which DL won't normally reimburse either). Obviously YMMV.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Agreed. Actually I believe I have had an agent just tell me that they are issuing me a credit for later use because the new ticket is cheaper, without me ever asking. My assumption is that this is just standard practice. I would guess that OP's new ticket was more expensive, and due to the cancellation the agent waived any need to collect a change fee or fare difference.
For the sake of clarity, the flight was not cheaper at the time of the change, it was cheaper at the time of booking.

Essentially I said, "I paid $40 more when I booked my flight so that I could avoid traffic by flying on flight_______, but now you've put me onto that flight, so I'd like my $40 back."

I get flights are cancelled, but I do think being accommodated according to fare differences at the time of booking is reasonable. I also think losing your seat when being placed on another flight is worth consideration. DL has agreed with me on these points--when I called--and UA has fought me on these points...

MSP is probably right, and there are probably not many people who care as much as I do.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
How do you look up historic flight prices on Expert Flyer? Digging through their website now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.