FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Skyclub conference calls (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1959656-skyclub-conference-calls.html)

Orange County Commuter Mar 6, 2019 3:31 pm

Skyclub conference calls

Just a note. Remember that the sky club is a public space. I kow more than I ever wanted to about some woman’s business contracts. (If you were in ATL A center concourse planning your California trip everyone around you knows your business And we might not need to know)

ethernal Mar 6, 2019 4:00 pm

Not sure if this is meant to be a complaint or what.

Unfortunately there aren't really any good places to take conference calls at an airport. At outstations I usually try to sneak into a deserted gate house and take a call there. Otherwise, best I can do is try to find the quietest corner in the SkyClub and talk as quietly as I can.

I agree that you need to be cognizant of what you say in public spaces - this is not just true in SkyClubs but everywhere. I have heard more than once people talking about things that would very clearly be restricted material non-public information (i.e. the stuff that moves stock prices) - and frankly folks entrusted with that sort of information should know better.

Given the amount of time spent in airports, and the difficulty of managing to folk's schedules, it is difficult to avoid calls completely (which would be optimal).

CarmenOM Mar 6, 2019 4:48 pm

MSP has a conference center where you can rent a 28 sq ft private work space for $20/hr; bigger spaces are also available. I can’t imagine that other airports don’t also have such facilities.

jdrtravel Mar 6, 2019 4:56 pm

Sky Clubs should have phone booths like some open space shared offices have, for private conversations. Here's an example: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/49...981610c509.jpg

ethernal Mar 6, 2019 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM (Post 30856275)
MSP has a conference center where you can rent a 28 sq ft private work space for $20/hr; bigger spaces are also available. I can’t imagine that other airports don’t also have such facilities.

As far as I know, MinuteSuites is the closest thing to this in a lot of airports (and I have taken a conference call in one during a long layover where I really needed the privacy). That said, the pricing there is both much higher and the locations tend to be limited (both in terms of the number of airports that have them as well as where they are located in the airport).

james318 Mar 6, 2019 5:24 pm

I've heard everything between the SkyClubs and the planes, from private business deals that should for sure not have been public (I at the time was involved in one of them and overheard) to things that would make me blush, to discussions with misteresses.

Orange County Commuter Mar 6, 2019 5:34 pm

It’s more of an observation.

I find it kind of scary that people would discuss what is obviously confidential information LOUDLY in the Sky Club apparently assuming no one else can hear

davetravels Mar 6, 2019 5:38 pm

I had posted a coupl'a years ago that I once heard in the JFK SkyClub, someone giving loud, VERY detailed instructions over the phone to open a safe, and S-L-O-W-L-Y . . . They were obviously opening it during the phone call.

sydneyracquelle Mar 6, 2019 5:51 pm

Sometimes I will go up right beside someone speaking too loudly and pretend to be repeating what the loudmouth is saying word for word into my phone. They get the message.

HGPilot Mar 6, 2019 6:29 pm

Not a Sky Club, but in line at the bank today and a criminal defense attorney was discussing the case with the defendant's mother. Then when he needed to look at something on his phone he put it on speakerphone for us all to hear both parties :eek:

ethernal Mar 6, 2019 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by HGPilot (Post 30856527)
Not a Sky Club, but in line at the bank today and a criminal defense attorney was discussing the case with the defendant's mother. Then when he needed to look at something on his phone he put it on speakerphone for us all to hear both parties :eek:

Wow. That's straight up malpractice. With clear and intentional disclosure like that, client-attorney privilege has been (in essence) voluntarily revoked for whatever content was discussed. Hope it wasn't a serious case.

jdrtravel Mar 6, 2019 6:35 pm

I really do blame DL for not providing space in the club for people to do this very basic thing.

NotHamSarnie Mar 6, 2019 7:03 pm

You can use headphones and your very quiet indoor voice and nobody will know you're on a conference call. Seriously people, it's not difficult to carry on your professional business and feel all important without imposing your business on all around you. If you're not prepared to do this, then clearly you're not prepared to work while in transit and you should just wait until you arrive at your destination. Your failure to plan is really not Delta's problem.

emrdoc Mar 6, 2019 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle (Post 30856440)
<div style="text-align:left;">Sometimes I will go up right beside someone speaking too loudly and pretend to be repeating what the loudmouth is saying word for word into my phone. They get the message.</div>

DTWflyer Mar 6, 2019 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter (Post 30856049)
Just a note. Remember that the sky club is a public space. I kow more than I ever wanted to about some woman’s business contracts. (If you were in ATL A center concourse planning your California trip everyone around you knows your business And we might not need to know)

This may have been the same lady that was nearby in the MSP F club last Thursday afternoon. She was rather loud, opening discussing contracts, pricing, people's salaries, and all sorts of good stuff in the wide open. I had music on my headphones cranked and that still could barely drown her out.