FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Skyclub conference calls (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1959656-skyclub-conference-calls.html)

defrosted Mar 6, 2019 8:20 pm

Sat beside a fellow at the Skyclub the other day, he proceed to do a full sales demo of his software over the phone and screen share.

I considered giving him some constructive criticism when he was through.

readywhenyouare Mar 6, 2019 8:29 pm

You don't handle conference calls in public. Ever.

If the club has a meeting room then feel free to do it in there. But the rest of us do not want to hear it and I will do everything I can to have them throw you out.

I'll never forget a nauseating conference call by a redneck government contractor in the old Business Elite lounge on E. He was on his way to Ba-ha-ran. 😒

flyerCO Mar 6, 2019 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 30856298)
Sky Clubs should have phone booths like some open space shared offices have, for private conversations. Here's an example: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/25/49...981610c509.jpg

or

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...05f74215fb.jpg

spamkiller Mar 7, 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30856541)
Wow. That's straight up malpractice. With clear and intentional disclosure like that, client-attorney privilege has been (in essence) voluntarily revoked for whatever content was discussed. Hope it wasn't a serious case.

He was speaking with the Defendants' mother. Generally, any discussion with the Defendants' mother would not be considered privileged.

lovecabo Mar 7, 2019 5:54 am

I’ve heard everything from people making reservations and loudly reading out their credit card details, to a woman sobbing while trying to get her husband back after a noisy disagreement. All of this was while sitting on planes awaiting pushback from the gate! It’s crazy how people think they’re the only one in their area when they carry on conversations.

ethernal Mar 7, 2019 6:13 am

Originally Posted by spamkiller (Post 30857438)
He was speaking with the Defendants' mother. Generally, any discussion with the Defendants' mother would not be considered privileged.

True very broadly, but plenty of exclusions would make conversations with a parent (or any third party) privileged assuming certain criteria are met. No idea whether they were met in this case (possibly not), but there are no criteria that would make something discussed openly in a SkyClub privileged. ;)

dilbertsdaddy Mar 7, 2019 6:21 am

One day I was waiting for a shower at ATL F and overheard a job interview where the guy was bragging to his young candidate about stealing another's company's IP. Not too good to be sharing that info in public I would say.

You never know who is around, and it is a small world. Oh, and don't steal IP.

Kinda put that kid in an awkward situation, eh?

bchandler02 Mar 7, 2019 7:44 am

The AA clubs (at least in DFW) have a workstation/cubicle area. I've taken a few calls over there when needed (using a headset and speaking quietly). Do other airline clubs not have this?

indufan Mar 7, 2019 8:50 am

Originally Posted by CarmenOM (Post 30856275)
I can’t imagine that other airports don’t also have such facilities.

Start imagining it because most don't.

exwannabe Mar 7, 2019 10:28 am

Many of us have conference calls that are mostly listen only. Use a headset. When you need to speak, there is no need to SHOUT.

zitsky Mar 7, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by ethernal (Post 30856140)
Not sure if this is meant to be a complaint or what.

Unfortunately there aren't really any good places to take conference calls at an airport. At outstations I usually try to sneak into a deserted gate house and take a call there. Otherwise, best I can do is try to find the quietest corner in the SkyClub and talk as quietly as I can.

I agree that you need to be cognizant of what you say in public spaces - this is not just true in SkyClubs but everywhere. I have heard more than once people talking about things that would very clearly be restricted material non-public information (i.e. the stuff that moves stock prices) - and frankly folks entrusted with that sort of information should know better.

Given the amount of time spent in airports, and the difficulty of managing to folk's schedules, it is difficult to avoid calls completely (which would be optimal).

So let me get this straight. You find the *quietest* place to make a phone call, therefore making it *not* quiet? I hope you mean, you find a place where no one is around?

Not sure if I am laughing or crying reading this.

ethernal Mar 7, 2019 11:03 am

Originally Posted by zitsky (Post 30859000)
So let me get this straight. You find the *quietest* place to make a phone call, therefore making it *not* quiet? I hope you mean, you find a place where no one is around?

Not sure if I am laughing or crying reading this.

Yes, the implication of "quiet" is that there is no one around. Humans make noise, even when trying to be quiet.

Segments Mar 7, 2019 11:10 am

Originally Posted by bchandler02 (Post 30858296)
The AA clubs (at least in DFW) have a workstation/cubicle area. I've taken a few calls over there when needed (using a headset and speaking quietly). Do other airline clubs not have this?

Some newer AA clubs (BOS) and Centurion Lounges (PHL) have phone booths inside the club that typically seat one or two people.

vincentharris Mar 7, 2019 11:23 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 30856995)

Why do we use the cone of silence, it NEVER works!

mridley2 Mar 7, 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie (Post 30856623)
You can use headphones and your very quiet indoor voice and nobody will know you're on a conference call. Seriously people, it's not difficult to carry on your professional business and feel all important without imposing your business on all around you. If you're not prepared to do this, then clearly you're not prepared to work while in transit and you should just wait until you arrive at your destination. Your failure to plan is really not Delta's problem.

I think the point is that most loud people on conference calls in public spaces WANT to be heard. Along the lines of DO YOU KNOW HOW IMPORTANT I AM? If not, you can listen to this conference call I am on. I'm so important look at me discussing all these seemingly high level things.Take note sky clubbers. i'm a big F**King deal.