FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta Pilot Leaves Handgun In Cockpit After Flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1959292-delta-pilot-leaves-handgun-cockpit-after-flight.html)

355F1 Mar 4, 2019 9:55 am

Delta Pilot Leaves Handgun In Cockpit After Flight

Interesting story:

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....​​​​​​​​

We don’t have the details about who the pilot is or what aircraft s/he flew. All we know is that the incident happened in Atlanta on February 18th.

While Delta is usually quick to comment on matters of interest and controversy, it is not offering much insight here.

Delta ground crews followed procedures and turned over to law enforcement an item that was found in the flight deck after the flight’s arrival. Delta is working with relevant authorities in their handling of this case and will conduct its own review.

Asked by the Associated Press if the pilot would face any disciplinary matters, Delta declined to comment, calling the issue an internal matter.

For its part, the TSA confirmed the incident occurred and offered two additional clues.

TSA is aware of an incident at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport involving agency-issued equipment. Although we are not at liberty to discuss specific details, we can say that the public was never in harm’s way. TSA takes all allegations of policy and procedure violations seriously and when substantiated, appropriate action is taken.

A couple of thoughts on this. This statement indicates the pilot must have been part of the TSA Federal Flight Deck Officer program. This post 9/11 program arms specially-trained pilots to prevent against “attack and piracy.” Second, if the public was never in harm’s way, I trust that means the gun was not loaded and in some sort of locked or secure box. But that’s just speculation…

Silver Fox Mar 4, 2019 10:04 am

And has proved that they are not competent enough to be trusted to carry a firearm as part of that program.

kop84 Mar 4, 2019 10:04 am

Not my joke, but the best one I saw on Twitter about this incident was, "Leave him alone, he was probably drunk"

Old Hickory Mar 4, 2019 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 30846402)
And has proved that they are not competent enough to be trusted to not carry a firearm as part of that program.

Fixed it for you.

KevinDTW Mar 4, 2019 3:05 pm

At least this gun was found in the cockpit by a responsible adult and turned over to the authorities. Made me think about the proposals we've heard for teachers to have guns in schools with kids around all day.

TomMM Mar 4, 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW (Post 30847749)
At least this gun was found in the cockpit by a responsible adult and turned over to the authorities. Made me think about the proposals we've heard for teachers to have guns in schools with kids around all day.

No longer a proposal where I live...

3Cforme Mar 4, 2019 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by kop84 (Post 30846405)
Not my joke, but the best one I saw on Twitter about this incident was, "Leave him alone, he was probably drunk"

Ouch. I believe showing up drunk will get a pilot fired. If anybody can point to a disciplinary history for firearms misplaced in the cockpit, please do.

CPMaverick Mar 4, 2019 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Old Hickory (Post 30847629)
Fixed it for you.

You've made the sentence incomprehensible if that was your goal.

readywhenyouare Mar 4, 2019 5:21 pm

I'd rather not have any guns on the plane but I feel better with the idea of armed pilots rather than air marshalls. At least the gun is behind a secure door where it can't be accidentally discharged in the cabin or taken by a passenger. A 9/11 type of event will never happen again. The passengers will have any potential hijacker dead within minutes. We've already seen it happen twice on Southwest.

navi_jen Mar 4, 2019 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 30848201)
The passengers will have any potential hijacker dead within minutes. We've already seen it happen twice on Southwest.

What am I missing?

readywhenyouare Mar 4, 2019 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by navi_jen (Post 30848285)
What am I missimg?

There have been two occasions where someone on a Southwest flight went out of control and the passengers killed them. I think in both cases the cause of death was suffocation.

pfreet Mar 4, 2019 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 30848299)

There have been two occasions where someone on a Southwest flight went out of control and the passengers killed them. I think in both cases the cause of death was suffocation.

WHAT? Did I miss this?

dEagleS Mar 4, 2019 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by pfreet (Post 30848509)
WHAT? Did I miss this?

here is one (pre-9/11):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout...es_Flight_1763

RoyalSwazi Mar 4, 2019 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 30848201)
I'd rather not have any guns on the plane but I feel better with the idea of armed pilots rather than air marshalls. At least the gun is behind a secure door where it can't be accidentally discharged in the cabin or taken by a passenger. A 9/11 type of event will never happen again. The passengers will have any potential hijacker dead within minutes. We've already seen it happen twice on Southwest.

Unless one pilot shoots the other. No guns on planes. Full stop.

readywhenyouare Mar 4, 2019 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi (Post 30848691)

Unless one pilot shoots the other. No guns on planes. Full stop.

Agreed. There's no need for it.