Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Pilot Leaves Handgun In Cockpit After Flight

Old Mar 4, 19, 9:55 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb

Interesting story:

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....​​​​​​​​

We donít have the details about who the pilot is or what aircraft s/he flew. All we know is that the incident happened in Atlanta on February 18th.

While Delta is usually quick to comment on matters of interest and controversy, it is not offering much insight here.

Delta ground crews followed procedures and turned over to law enforcement an item that was found in the flight deck after the flightís arrival. Delta is working with relevant authorities in their handling of this case and will conduct its own review.

Asked by the Associated Press if the pilot would face any disciplinary matters, Delta declined to comment, calling the issue an internal matter.

For its part, the TSA confirmed the incident occurred and offered two additional clues.
TSA is aware of an incident at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport involving agency-issued equipment. Although we are not at liberty to discuss specific details, we can say that the public was never in harmís way. TSA takes all allegations of policy and procedure violations seriously and when substantiated, appropriate action is taken.

A couple of thoughts on this. This statement indicates the pilot must have been part of the TSA Federal Flight Deck Officer program. This post 9/11 program arms specially-trained pilots to prevent against ďattack and piracy.Ē Second, if the public was never in harmís way, I trust that means the gun was not loaded and in some sort of locked or secure box. But thatís just speculationÖ
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Her Majesty's Prison UK, scheduled release date June 21st
Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
And has proved that they are not competent enough to be trusted to carry a firearm as part of that program.
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:04 am

Not my joke, but the best one I saw on Twitter about this incident was, "Leave him alone, he was probably drunk"
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 2:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
And has proved that they are not competent enough to be trusted to not carry a firearm as part of that program.
Fixed it for you.
Old Mar 4, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
At least this gun was found in the cockpit by a responsible adult and turned over to the authorities. Made me think about the proposals we've heard for teachers to have guns in schools with kids around all day.
Old Mar 4, 19, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KevinDTW View Post
At least this gun was found in the cockpit by a responsible adult and turned over to the authorities. Made me think about the proposals we've heard for teachers to have guns in schools with kids around all day.
No longer a proposal where I live...
Old Mar 4, 19, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
Not my joke, but the best one I saw on Twitter about this incident was, "Leave him alone, he was probably drunk"
Ouch. I believe showing up drunk will get a pilot fired. If anybody can point to a disciplinary history for firearms misplaced in the cockpit, please do.
Old Mar 4, 19, 5:19 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-exDM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Fixed it for you.
You've made the sentence incomprehensible if that was your goal.
Silver Fox and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'd rather not have any guns on the plane but I feel better with the idea of armed pilots rather than air marshalls. At least the gun is behind a secure door where it can't be accidentally discharged in the cabin or taken by a passenger. A 9/11 type of event will never happen again. The passengers will have any potential hijacker dead within minutes. We've already seen it happen twice on Southwest.
nancypants and strickerj like this.
Old Mar 4, 19, 5:49 pm

Programs: Does it matter in 2021? SPG/Marriott: Plat; DL: Plat; B6: Mosaic
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
The passengers will have any potential hijacker dead within minutes. We've already seen it happen twice on Southwest.
What am I missing?
355F1 likes this.

Last edited by navi_jen; Mar 4, 19 at 6:00 pm
Old Mar 4, 19, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by navi_jen View Post
What am I missimg?
There have been two occasions where someone on a Southwest flight went out of control and the passengers killed them. I think in both cases the cause of death was suffocation.
Old Mar 4, 19, 7:03 pm

There have been two occasions where someone on a Southwest flight went out of control and the passengers killed them. I think in both cases the cause of death was suffocation.
WHAT? Did I miss this?
Old Mar 4, 19, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Originally Posted by pfreet View Post
WHAT? Did I miss this?
here is one (pre-9/11):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sout...es_Flight_1763
Old Mar 4, 19, 8:07 pm

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
I'd rather not have any guns on the plane but I feel better with the idea of armed pilots rather than air marshalls. At least the gun is behind a secure door where it can't be accidentally discharged in the cabin or taken by a passenger. A 9/11 type of event will never happen again. The passengers will have any potential hijacker dead within minutes. We've already seen it happen twice on Southwest.
Unless one pilot shoots the other. No guns on planes. Full stop.
Old Mar 4, 19, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RoyalSwazi View Post

Unless one pilot shoots the other. No guns on planes. Full stop.
Agreed. There's no need for it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: