Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Awful customer service after diversion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is another thread that demonstrates that passengers should get a Private Pilot license so they have some idea of the decision making that goes into flight ops.
nancypants and TheHorta like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a vast difference between DL accommodating a passenger on two tickets and DL protecting a connection. The former is a customer service gesture. The latter is a contractual obligation and depending on the reason for the misconnect may obligate DL to provide meals and possibly a hotel on a standard US departure.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Well, they can say it was weather because it likely was. Had it been something else, I doubt you would have diverted to TLH but a closer airport - it's not like your plane had a mechanical diversion. You diverted because your flight no longer had enough fuel to continue holding while waiting for the weather to improve. As noted above, different aircraft and different crew have different ratings for visibility, crosswind limits, etc. This is more likely to impact RJ operations but can still imapct mainline aircraft. The weather could have been going in and out of minimum requirements, permitting some aircraft holding the opportunity to land but not a long enough gap to permit all aircraft holding the opportunity to land before the weather dropped below minimums again. The weather could have impacted spacing requirements. Many possible factors that still could make it "weather alone" even if some aircraft were landing.

You were. It's not your fault, but you were a "no-show" for your ATL-ICN flight because you didn't show up for the flight. Were you on two separate tickets (TPA-ATL and then ATL-ICN-SIN) or was this all one ticket for TPA-ATL-ICN-SIN?
Even if this was one ticket, I wouldn't be suprirsed if the system gets confused due to the diversion. The diversion still shows as a completed flight, even if not to the correct destination, and then the recovery leg a separate segment. It could easily be the TPA-ATL segment was recorded as complete due to the diversion, then thinks the ATL-ICN as a no-show and auto-cancels the remaining because the previous segment was completed, and then the passenger didn't show. An agent quickly looking at the reservation might just see that, and without looking further. realize that it wasn't actually a "no show" but instead a quirk in the system, that probably isn't set up to routinely handle diversions which then cause a missed INTL connection.
MSPeconomist and FlyBitcoin like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by mattya9
But, again, what if it was DL's fault I didn't get to LAX in the first place? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just playing devil's advocate and also truly curious.

OPS
While some jurisdictions have compensation rules if an airline delivers you to your diestination late, they are generally capped far lower than the cost of a long international flight. There’s a lot more that goes into ticket pricing, but you can consider any discount you get on buying split tickets to be partly financed by the carrier NOT having to self-insure against a missed connection,
Old Feb 22, 2019, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattya9
But, again, what if it was DL's fault I didn't get to LAX in the first place? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just playing devil's advocate and also truly curious.

OPS
This topic gets considerable coverage in the various forums here. Absent government regulations (the US does not have mandatory compensation for delays and cancellations), this is governed by each airline's Contract of Carriage. Here is DL's - https://www.delta.com/us/en/legal/co...f-carriage-dgr
Rule 2 in DL's Contract of Carriage specifically disclaims liability for delays and failure of flights to operate as schedule. Rule 19 provides for refunds if there is a delay greater than 90 minutes (for any reason) and you choose to cancel your ticket rather than continue your journey on DL's ticket (no refunds are due if you choose to complete your journey on the ticket). Rule 19 provides for hotel accommodations for overnight delays as long as the reason for the delay is not "force majeure" (such as weather-related or ATC delays). There's also a provision for providing amenities for those with special needs and unaccompanied minors. Outside of that, "Delta will not be liable under any circumstances for any special, incidental or consequential damages arising from the foregoing".

For further reading --
https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...-cancellations
trooper and mattya9 like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 22, 2019 at 4:42 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there's a bad delay or flight cancellation along the way, DL also permits the customer to declaire trip in vain and be flown back to the origin with a full refund.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If there's a bad delay or flight cancellation along the way, DL also permits the customer to declaire trip in vain and be flown back to the origin with a full refund.
BUT THAT'S NOT IN THE COC SO IT DOESN'T EXIST.

Seriously, though, posters here need to understand that just because something is in the COC doesn't mean it's not an internal policy, which is what matters here. I'm actually not sure if there is one on Delta to cover these situations, although the consistency with which they do protect suggests that there is. American does havean internal policy to protect separate ticket connections. It's not in the COC, and all that means is that you (maybe) can't sue in court to enforce it.

That question has almost nothing to do with what the OP can expect from an agent or supervisor at the airport after such a missed connection.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TomMM
This is another thread that demonstrates that passengers should get a Private Pilot license so they have some idea of the decision making that goes into flight ops.
Please, no. Could you imagine this crowd trying to enter the traffic pattern of an uncontrolled airport? They'd treat it like the Sky Priority line and think they can jump in front of the other traffic. And if rebuked by ATC for not following directions they'd give them the DYKWIA treatment.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare

Please, no. Could you imagine this crowd trying to enter the traffic pattern of an uncontrolled airport? They'd treat it like the Sky Priority line and think they can jump in front of the other traffic. And if rebuked by ATC for not following directions they'd give them the DYKWIA treatment.
Isn't that what SkyPriority is supposed to mean?

And doesn't PreCheck mean that I'm exempt from having to do the usual pilot pre flight checks?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
. One example of this is the tendency to cancel RJs and prioritize larger aircraft during IROPs even if the RJs are equally able to fly in the conditions.
Yes, but this is almost always done prior to departure. For the most part, ATC runs on a first come first serve basis. They try to proactively manage that mostly by manipulating inner circle wheels up time that may be coordinated with the airlines to some degree.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Yep, none airside in Teminal A
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pgh234
I am not under the impression that the OP had two separate itineraries?
I had one itinerary.
TheHorta likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sky303
If there were “no agents” then who pulled the jetway up to the plane? ATL is staffed 24/7. Rest assured there were agents in the airport.
The agent at the gate refused to discuss the situation, directing everyone to the phones. By the time I got off the phone, that agent was long gone.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

The fact that the OP cannot sew additional segments suggests to me that the rebooking wasn't done properly. I would guess that the phone agent changed the reservation but failed to have the ticket reissued (or just sent it to some reissue queue) so OP should be sure to allow lots and lots of time to get boarding passes.

Even at 3 am, I would have gotten a hotel room given that the new flight leave after midnight, assuming that the OP was rebooked with the remaining outbound flights all one full day later. I would try for a room in a chain (Hyatt or Starriott/Bonvoy)with which I have guaranteed 4 pm checkout privileges. IIRC OP is also facing a very long connection at ICN to get to SIN and it would be miserable to do this after spoending almost 24 hours sitting in an airport, even if there's a D1 flight in the interim. [Wrost case is that if one can afford a D1 ticket, one can afford a couple hundred dollars for a hotel room.]
I really debated the hotel room issue. By 3:45 AM, knowing that F concourse Sky Club opened at 5:30 AM, it seemed pointless. I was not worried about cost and they had already made clear on the phone that with status and D1 fare they would reimburse. It just did not seem worth it to me, especially as finding an agent would mean exiting security and going to ticket counters and/or cabbing to a hotel. There was no problem getting my boarding passes at Sky Club and they were baffled by why I could not see the reservation as they could. They emailed the new itinerary to me. Currently, My Delta shows my original return flights next week but no miles for getting to Singapore. This will all get sorted out,
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stillontheroad
OP stated that the rebooked flight was 11:00 AM so only 8 hours to kill in ATL
Right, and with boarding at 10:15, only about six hours. That was why exiting and getting a hotel room seemed pointless. Delta gave me some choices as to rebooking and that was the best of the lot. My real concern was not being able to see the new flight itinerary in My Delta. However, Sky Club easily issued the BPs and was as baffled as me as to why it still was not showing a couple of hours later. But I took the flights, am sitting in Singapore, and while My Delta still seems screwy (although in a different way which I won’t bother going into), I obviously had a rebooked flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.