Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades to Premium Select?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Upgrades to Premium Select?

It was my understanding that Delta was very protective of this new PS product and would not allow upgrades. I flew DL 120 from HND to MSP today. 90 min before the flight there were 24 seats showing in PS per the app. 100+ seats open in coach.

When I boarded the plane every last PS seat was taken. Surely these were not OP ups since coach was about half full. Where did these people come from at the last minute?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President Circle, Hilton Gold, Omni Black,
Flew DTW to and from PEK last week. No dice on upgrade for Diamond even though there were plenty of empty seats. Did see that there was an "upgrade" list that some folks did get bumped up .... and some up to D1. No idea who these folks were... But, I did get to board with D1...and spend and extra few minutes on the plane! Status does have its privileges
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Marriott Gold Elite
Upgrade list was probably GUC and maybe some non-revs?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
Yeah, I figured there would be some of each just didnt expect more than half the cabin.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Recent flight AMS-DTW in PS with an empty seat next to me (there were about 8ish empty in PS)

PM tried to get FA to let his family (don't know how many) move into PS

FA got redcoat...big argument in galley.......free upgrades to PS not allowed, DYKWIA, how dare you treat a PM this way, what's your name, etc. etc.

Redcoat says she will check how much and revert back.

Redcoat comes back and tells FA that he has already tried at check-in, lounge, gate, and now on airplane, does not want to pay, etc. Shuts door

Very persistent, complete tool! I feel sorry for the Y FA's

There would have for sure been a revolt of other PS passengers if he would have gotten his way. Whole PS cabin heard the argument.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Originally Posted by SecurityTheaterFanClubPresident
Originally Posted by lucycan
Yeah, I figured there would be some of each just didnt expect more than half the cabin.
Non-revs don't get added to the upgrade list.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lucycan
It was my understanding that Delta was very protective of this new PS product and would not allow upgrades. I flew DL 120 from HND to MSP today. 90 min before the flight there were 24 seats showing in PS per the app. 100+ seats open in coach.

When I boarded the plane every last PS seat was taken. Surely these were not OP ups since coach was about half full. Where did these people come from at the last minute?
NRSA. At times nonrevs flock to flights with empty premium cabins.

Any sane DM using a GUC would go for D1 and not just PS if there's a choice.

DL quietly dropped their very good PS G class RT fare that was supposed to be available for outbound travel through February 28th; the prices went up dramatically for the MSP-HND route in PS within the last month or so. There's lots of G inventory but apparently no current filing of a G fare for this route. I had been thinking about trying to do a quick little late February trip to Tokyo but oh well......
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Agreed - they usually have detailed access to loads/availabilities and can pick flights where it looks likely they’ll clear onto the flight, particularly in premium cabins.
I wonder if business class was full too. Or maybe some non-revs are happy to fly PE for lower fees.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

D1 showed (on the app) to be 4 seats left that morning. It also went out full.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM

Any sane DM using a GUC would go for D1 and not just PS if there's a choice.

DL quietly dropped their very good PS G class RT fare that was supposed to be available for outbound travel through February 28th; the prices went up dramatically for the MSP-HND route in PS within the last month or so. There's lots of G inventory but apparently no current filing of a G fare for this route. I had been thinking about trying to do a quick little late February trip to Tokyo but oh well......
I paid just under $1400 for PS on MSP-HND-MSP in early December; it was $200-300 more than Main Cabin. I just looked at some random April dates and see that it has more than doubled. I also just booked a trip to France and found that the PS fares were more than double the Main Cabin fares. PE (on VS and AF) and PS used to be a really good way to get a more comfortable ride for a modest price increase. No longer. Now I just hope the complimentary C+ upgrades at time of booking continue for a while for PM and DM.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Non-revs don't get added to the upgrade list.
They'll show up on standby though, and then will clear into whatever premium cabin is available.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Recent flight AMS-DTW in PS with an empty seat next to me (there were about 8ish empty in PS)

FA got redcoat...big argument in galley.......free upgrades to PS not allowed, DYKWIA, how dare you treat a PM this way, what's your name, etc. etc.

Redcoat comes back and tells FA that he has already tried at check-in, lounge, gate, and now on airplane, does not want to pay, etc. Shuts door

There would have for sure been a revolt of other PS passengers if he would have gotten his way. Whole PS cabin heard the argument.
Most interesting fact is that each "ask" had been reported to somebody who told the Red Coat. Or each of those people logged an entry in the PNR notes.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

Wow.....and I would guess that family includes some unruly kids too, maybe even an ESA or two.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM
Yep....they sound a bugle in the terminal and they come a runnin'.

Ludicrous.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Wow.....and I would guess that family includes some unruly kids too, maybe even an ESA or two.
Are there any kids in your world who aren't screaming/unruly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.