Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Weather Waiver for Jan 27th - when will they issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold

A big storm is about to hit MSP and Chicago etc area starting tomorrow afternoon (1/27). When do people think delta will issue the weather waiver? American already has issued theirs as of this morning.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
As of 1200 Central on Sat 1/26, weather service says 5-9 inches of snow in the MSP area with gusts to 35 mph, starting Sun PM 1/27 through Mon PM 1/28.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Just trying to get proactive here. What happens if I get stranded in ATL tomorrow night? Does delta issue hotel vouchers? Is it a difficult process?

Unfortunately I paid for this ticket on my Platinum Delta AMEX which doesn’t have any trip delay protection.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You shouldn't expect a hotel voucher for weather. I'll point out that AA's weather waiver does not include MSP as a write this.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
5-9” is hardly a “big storm” for Minnesota...it’s fairly routine and, besides some slower traffic on the roadways, there is unlikely to be any noticeable impact. MSP can handle a significant amount of snowfall without disruption to operations. I doubt there will be any waiver from any airline for MSP. I also expect the DL will operate just fine tomorrow and Monday.

I’d actually worry more about the temps in the -20F later in the week. Ground equipment and ground staff will have a hard time working in those conditions which can really slow things down if DL runs short of tugs or has to rotate staff during a turn due to the cold.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RRDD
As of 1200 Central on Sat 1/26, weather service says 5-9 inches of snow in the MSP area with gusts to 35 mph, starting Sun PM 1/27 through Mon PM 1/28.
Except snow started this morning, more than 24 hours early. It's white already.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Just trying to get proactive here. What happens if I get stranded in ATL tomorrow night? Does delta issue hotel vouchers? Is it a difficult process?

Unfortunately I paid for this ticket on my Platinum Delta AMEX which doesn’t have any trip delay protection.
If its still more than 24 hours before your departure, I think you can still buy trip insurance on the Delta website!
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You shouldn't expect a hotel voucher for weather. I'll point out that AA's weather waiver does not include MSP as a write this.
I’m traveling to Chicago, just was adding in MSP as it’s a major DL hub and will be impacted.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
What do you need the waiver for? What are you desiring to Do? Cancel altogether, fly today?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
It looks like it will be white out on Monday down here in RST.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by kenn0223
5-9” is hardly a “big storm” for Minnesota...it’s fairly routine and, besides some slower traffic on the roadways, there is unlikely to be any noticeable impact. MSP can handle a significant amount of snowfall without disruption to operations. I doubt there will be any waiver from any airline for MSP. I also expect the DL will operate just fine tomorrow and Monday.

I’d actually worry more about the temps in the -20F later in the week. Ground equipment and ground staff will have a hard time working in those conditions which can really slow things down if DL runs short of tugs or has to rotate staff during a turn due to the cold.
5-9" of snow isn't a big deal, 30 mph+ winds are depending on the direction. That has the potential to significantly gum up departures and arrivals if the majority of that is a crosswind relative to the runways.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobertS975
What do you need the waiver for? What are you desiring to Do? Cancel altogether, fly today?
Trying to change to fly tomorrow morning first thing out of FLL and get into Chicago before it gets too bad. My ATL-ORD flight isn’t until 10:50pm Sunday night and that is surely one that will likely get canceled and then I will be stuck at ATL.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,

With weather delays you won’t get hotel vouchers especially if you fly when a waiver was available.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Trying to change to fly tomorrow morning first thing out of FLL and get into Chicago before it gets too bad. My ATL-ORD flight isn’t until 10:50pm Sunday night and that is surely one that will likely get canceled and then I will be stuck at ATL.
You might be able to SDC/SDS to a flight earlier in the day. It's not supposed to start snowing before mid-afternoon tomorrow.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might be able to SDC/SDS to a flight earlier in the day. It's not supposed to start snowing before mid-afternoon tomorrow.
I have no status so I assume there will be a hefty charge. If I wanted to do it, how do I go about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.