Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Penalty For Using Wrong Lav

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2019, 8:03 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
The Captain has ultimate authority.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Originally Posted by ftv
The Captain has ultimate authority.

Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by JoelThomas
Honest question from a FO that has sat up front no more than five times total..

I know it's assumed that the front lav is for F pax only. I have made the same assumption numerous times. But is it spelled out anywhere? Honestly just asking.
I've been on flights where FAs have generally announced over the intercom that pax are to use the lavs in their assigned cabins. And I've been on flights where FAs have enforced the separation by cabin (though it's not consistent.) Regardless, once a FA makes that call, it falls under that "federal regulations require pax to comply with lighted signs, posted placards and crew member instructions".

It's not enforced uniformly.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by sprika
Literally asking for a friend...I searched for something more closely related, but they were all outdated...so even though this is kind of the opposite to the original situation- this thread seemed most appropriate. I gifted my friends 2 AS upgrades so they could fly in F for the first time. I recently asked one of them how it was, and was baffled by her response. Apparently, after reaching cruising, the pilot came out for a break to use the lav. My friend really "had to go" and was anxiously watching the seat belt sign and the lav occupied sign. The pilot came out and lingered for a while in the galley. Since the lav occupied sign was now off, another pax approached the FA to use the facilities and was told to use the lavatory in the back (we're not sure if this pax was from Y or F). My friends were sitting in row 1, so the heard the whole thing. After hearing this, my friend got up and used the lav in the back too. When she came back to her seat, she was very loudly chastised by the FA who said, "I tried to tell you, but you got up and left too quickly--- but you are supposed to remain seated while the pilot is out of the cockpit". My friend was really embarrassed- now were all wondering--- why the mixed messages? Why did the FA have to be so loud about it? Since when is that the policy? Is that true for only F class? Anyone have any thoughts?
I have flown many times where the FAs have blocked off the forward area because the pilot was using the lav where people have come up to use the lav. Every single time the FA points to the back and briefly says something to the pax. This has always been on DL because I don't fly any other airline domestically.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by defrosted
Exactly! People complain about people who speed on the internet ALL the time.
It's not the same as speeding. Speeding is black and white and is a defined law. Either you're speeding (and thus violating the law) or you are not. A police officer will exercise judgement in whether to pull you over and even in whether to give you a warning or a ticket (as will a judge if you choose to argue in court) but whether one is speeding is black and white - again, you're either violating the law or you are not. Using the lav in the F cabin is not defined by law, except as noted earlier in this thread where on international flights to the US, passengers must use the lav in their assigned cabin per DHS regulations. It's not even a defined policy in the Contract of Carriage (that passengers must use the lavatory in their cabin). Now if an FA tells you not to use the forward lav when you're in Y and you disobey, you may find yourself being met by police for "not obeying the orders of a crew member", which is in the contract of carriage, but this is more akin to a parent or host telling you "you can't use the master bathroom in the house; you can only use the one connected to your bedroom or in your section of the house or the one in the main hallway" and you may face disciplinary actions or repercussions for violating that request but there's no law that says one cannot use only certain bathrooms in a house (but one may become guilty of trespassing if they violate the request of the homeowner and are asked to leave by the host but refuses to leave).

If I was going to use the lav in F when seated in Y because the F lav is the one of easiest convenience and an FA tells me I can't and need to use the Y lavs, I'll listen so as to avoid a meeting with police when we land even if I think the FA is wrong for enforcing this. But if the FA isn't making such requests then I'll continue to use the lav of best convenience, be it the lav in the front or the back of the plane.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
It's not the same as speeding. Speeding is black and white and is a defined law. Either you're speeding (and thus violating the law) or you are not. A police officer will exercise judgement in whether to pull you over and even in whether to give you a warning or a ticket (as will a judge if you choose to argue in court) but whether one is speeding is black and white - again, you're either violating the law or you are not. Using the lav in the F cabin is not defined by law, except as noted earlier in this thread where on international flights to the US, passengers must use the lav in their assigned cabin per DHS regulations. It's not even a defined policy in the Contract of Carriage (that passengers must use the lavatory in their cabin). Now if an FA tells you not to use the forward lav when you're in Y and you disobey, you may find yourself being met by police for "not obeying the orders of a crew member", which is in the contract of carriage, but this is more akin to a parent or host telling you "you can't use the master bathroom in the house; you can only use the one connected to your bedroom or in your section of the house or the one in the main hallway" and you may face disciplinary actions or repercussions for violating that request but there's no law that says one cannot use only certain bathrooms in a house (but one may become guilty of trespassing if they violate the request of the homeowner and are asked to leave by the host but refuses to leave).

If I was going to use the lav in F when seated in Y because the F lav is the one of easiest convenience and an FA tells me I can't and need to use the Y lavs, I'll listen so as to avoid a meeting with police when we land even if I think the FA is wrong for enforcing this. But if the FA isn't making such requests then I'll continue to use the lav of best convenience, be it the lav in the front or the back of the plane.
Excuse me, but I would never use the master bathroom as a visitor unless it's the only bathroom in the home or unless one is staying overnight on a boyfriend/girlfriend basis. IMO it's a private area.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Excuse me, but I would never use the master bathroom as a visitor unless it's the only bathroom in the home or unless one is staying overnight on a boyfriend/girlfriend basis. IMO it's a private area.
I also doubt you’d have 150 people in your house trying to share 3 bathrooms. Of course there are some differences but my point was there’s no laws about it (which is how I was separating it from the comparison to “speeding”) just as with the lavs where there are no laws, except for international flights to the US which is a TSA/DHS law, not an airline policy.

The way I see the forward lav is that I have to transit through the FC cabin to get to it. In my first apartment that’s how it was setup - 2 beds, two baths and you had to go through a bedroom to get to a bathroom. Just how it was setup. Same as the airplane. It’s not specifically the lav designated for the FC cabin. It’s simply a lav positioned at the forward section of the plane. I feel that way whether in F or Y. I do agree that passengers waiting should not be loitering in the FC cabin while they wait.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Did you read the flyer talk "worst passenter" Grossly obese Y passenger goes to business lav and leaves door open as needs space and then asks FA to wipe his rear.

But Delta rules oked by FAA are separate lavs
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I think for all the people who replied on here “it’s sooooo offensive when people whip open the curtain and march up to F” it’s a two way street then. I’ve watched and I am currently watching F passengers on a 757 do the exact same thing.

If if people don’t want Y coming into F then F needs to stay in F and not come back to Y. That little see through curtain needs to be a de facto brick wall once it’s closed.

Fair is fair...........
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You'd be surprised how many visitors in our old townhouse ignored the CLOSED door and instructions to turn right up top the stairs and instead turned left and went into the master bath.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:18 am

I don't like the food in coach. I'm going up to first class to eat there.

In other words, stay in your own cabin, people. Please?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I don't like the food in coach. I'm going up to first class to eat there.

In other words, stay in your own cabin, people. Please?
What's your plan for F pax on a CRJ-700 where the lone lav is in the back then? If an F pax comes back, should I use your exact words: "stay in your own cabin"? Which cabin do the mid-lavs on the 757-300 belong to (the lavs by 2L/2R)? Are these shared lavs? Or can F pax and Y pax use them? (thus admitting that the lavs are shared between cabins on the aircraft). What about on the 757-200? Can an F pax transit through C+ to the lav by 2R? What about a 757-200 with D1? Who can use the lav by 2R at the rear of D1/front of C+? On the A350 there are two lavs at the rear of D1/front of PS. Which pax use those lavs? Can D1 use them? Only D1? Only PS? Is PS expected to use the 4 lavs in the back with main cabin?

The comparison with food is a straw-man. Better food/meals/snacks for the F cabin are part of the advertised service. "Dedicated lavatory" is not. People can also reasonably plan accordingly for food if in Y where a different meal is offered or no meal at all. Passengers either bring on their own food or buy food on board (or eat the meal that's served complimentary as the economy meal) or just go without as, no one is going to starve to death on a transcon flight. But relieving one's self is a different manner from food and thus is a ridiculous comparison. "When you gotta go you gotta go" and there are plenty of reasons one may not be able to hold it or wait for the drink service to end and the cart to clear the aisle. The way I see it, if I'm in Y, I simply have to pass through the F cabin to get the lav, just as I usually have to pass through the F cabin to get to Y when boarding when I'm in Y. If an FA decides to instruct me not to use the forward lav, then I'll listen under the "following crewmember instructions" but if the rear lavs are full and the forward lav is open, I'll continue to use the that lav if it's available and the rear lavs are not or if the rear lavs are blocked by the service cart.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Feb 5, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:31 pm

That's a stupid question. If there is one lav, everyone uses it.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
That's a stupid question. If there is one lav, everyone uses it.
It was in response to a silly blanket statement of "In other words, stay in your own cabin, people. Please". Since you've already indicated there is an exception, it's clear there are plenty of reasonable exceptions and circumstances.

And of course you dodged the rest of it. Who uses it when it sits between two cabins? Like the lavs by 2L and 2R on a 757-300? Can F pax use it? Only F pax? Only C+ & Y? Do F pax get priority if there's a wait?

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Feb 5, 2019 at 2:26 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
It was in response to a silly blanket statement of "In other words, stay in your own cabin, people. Please". Since you've already indicated there is an exception, it's clear there are plenty of reasonable exceptions and circumstances.

And of course you dodged the rest of it. Who uses it when it sits between two cabins? Like the lavs by 2L and 2R on a 757-300? Can F pax use it? Only F pax? Only C+ & Y? Do F pax get priority if there's a wait?
Maybe you should ask a flight attendant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.