Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shady Sky Club bartender

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nrr
I flew for the first time in many years on DL and used the JFK T4 Skyclub (near gate B32). There were Skyclub agents with rolling margarita carts and wine carts serving drinks at your seat; one agent was taking drink orders, I asked for Champagne, I wasn't charged a fee (or miles)--is the JFK system different from ATL?
They have Veuve de Vernay brut, which is very drinkable and affordable, free in Sky Clubs. Occasionally they will sub in Andre if there are stock issues, and I find that not drinkable and will then pay with miles for an option from the Bar upgrade menu.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't see that in the picture of the menu posted above.
In the picture I posted right next to the word "Champagne" is 187ML.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't see that in the picture of the menu posted above.
Look again. The top bottle shown is 187ml, the second 350ml, the bottom two are 750ml. It is right there in the same size type as the product name.
jerry a. laska and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BearX220
Look again. The top bottle shown is 187ml, the second 350ml, the bottom two are 750ml. It is right there in the same size type as the product name.
Thanks. You're right.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by sky303
...or that the one who makes a point to discuss the cheapness of DL’s champagnes and sparkling wines on the thread with prices, would think that $14 for a 750mL bottle of Moët is unusually low, so as to be unbelievable.
My local Costco put the holiday version of Moet & Chandon Imperial on clearance for $22.97 (regularly $36.99 there which is still a good deal) and I proudly bought every bottle in the bin. So yeah, if $23 at Costco is a steal then $14 at a full service bar in an airport club is unthinkable.
BenA and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Did you actually think a bottle of Moet would cost $14?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:46 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bergamini
They have Veuve de Vernay brut, which is very drinkable and affordable, free in Sky Clubs. Occasionally they will sub in Andre if there are stock issues, and I find that not drinkable and will then pay with miles for an option from the Bar upgrade menu.
Andre EXTRA DRY (<$5 per bottle in liquor stores) is not bad IMHO.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Andre EXTRA DRY (<$5 per bottle in liquor stores) is not bad IMHO.
IIR, it's the straight up brut. I'm sure a bit more dosage would have made it more drinkable.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I agree with the poster who said they probably charged you the Dom Perignon. The Imperial and the Dom Perignon are both produced by Moet & Chandon so perhaps when they looked up the product in the POS system there was confusion. It could have been accidental and/or confusion and perhaps the manager's authority was required for a void. Or it could have had malice, but IME most people just aren't that familiar with champagne products, brands and sizing in the US.

The menu's have always had sizes on it. Most are 187ml for Imperial by Moet & Chandon, 375 for Laurent & Perrier and then various options at 750ml including Krug, Dom Perignon, Laurent & Perrier Rose and a few others. The Dom Perignon by Moet & Chandon glasses have only ever been specials not in the menu from my experience.

I don't know metric so when I read that menu I read it as saying 187ml was the champagne-by-the-glass and the smaller print bottle was a full-size bottle. They should have the 187ml next to the word "bottle."
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I don't know metric so when I read that menu I read it as saying 187ml was the champagne-by-the-glass and the smaller print bottle was a full-size bottle. They should have the 187ml next to the word "bottle."
They should probably use the word "split" instead of "bottle".
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:45 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I agree the word "bottle" is slightly problematic but it is explicitly labeled 187ml and hockeyinsider is such a nit about champagne he definitely knew he wasn't getting a normal-sized bottle for $14.
CLG and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:48 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
So now we've gone from "shady bartender" to "the menu doesn't indicate bottle size" to "I don't know metric." The last one sounds like a purely personal issue, the first two were just false.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
They should probably use the word "split" instead of "bottle".
Interestingly, on the older menu from the Seattle Sky Club I posted, they used the word ‘glass’. They probably changed from that to bottle to better indicate it’s a fresh wine split, as some people aren’t willing to order champagne by the glass if they don’t know how long the bottle has been open. I agree split, or “split bottle” would probably be the best terminology here.

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
So now we've gone from "shady bartender" to "the menu doesn't indicate bottle size" to "I don't know metric." The last one sounds like a purely personal issue, the first two were just false.
FWIW, even if you don’t know metric units well (although they are exclusively used for wine due to the European heritage of the product, so most wine drinkers do)... you can compare the 187mL Moet with the 750mL Dom bottle and see it’s 1/4 of the size. It’s unlikely Delta is offering a comically large double magnum of Dom for the bottle price (but if they are I definitely want to spend all my SkyMiles on it!)
bergamini and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
No, because the bartender insisted the printed menu price that was lower than what she charged me was incorrect. Hence the "shady" part.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by BenA
FWIW, even if you don’t know metric units well (although they are exclusively used for wine due to the European heritage of the product, so most wine drinkers do)... you can compare the 187mL Moet with the 750mL Dom bottle and see it’s 1/4 of the size. It’s unlikely Delta is offering a comically large double magnum of Dom for the bottle price (but if they are I definitely want to spend all my SkyMiles on it!)
^^^^ also that fancy spring water usually comes in 500ml bottles, and the Cokes at Kroger are 2000ml (I think non-metric folk call 'em "two-leeter" bottles). I can usually guage from there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.