Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Fare frustration - SkyTeam fare way out of line with competition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare frustration - SkyTeam fare way out of line with competition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Okay, the X fare is available from Apr 21 - May 31. There's an L fare for about $2400 RT in early April. Meanwhile, there are U fares out of YVR for $1167 USD roundtrip in early April. Don't get mad, get creative.
Great minds think alike.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Okay, the X fare is available from Apr 21 - May 31. There's an L fare for about $2400 RT in early April. Meanwhile, there are U fares out of YVR for $1167 USD roundtrip in early April. Don't get mad, get creative.
In addition, PE on AF is $1522 r/t from YVR 4/5-4/14. Easy way to get 150% MQMs and distance-based MQDs.
MSPeconomist and Duke787 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacar
In addition, PE on AF is $1522 r/t from YVR 4/5-4/14. Easy way to get 150% MQMs and distance-based MQDs.
And J is $2.8k which isn't horrendous but think the PE option is the no-brainer here
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2 MM
Thanks for checking this out. Sorry, I meant to type MKE-SNN (not DUB) May 12-19. The lowest I could find in the main cabin was $2772. The highest was $3344.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jaimemayo
Thanks for checking this out. Sorry, I meant to type MKE-SNN (not DUB) May 12-19. The lowest I could find in the main cabin was $2772. The highest was $3344.
That seems crazy unless there's some special event. What prices do you see for C+ and D1? SNN should be a fairly cheap leisure TATL route. [I associate that airport with charter flights.]
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:52 pm

I don’t mean to hijack the OP’s thread except to say I’m seeing similar high fares across the board for my trip to China in June. About a week ago they all increased by at least $300 and haven’t come down yet. ☹️ I wonder if it has to do with the government shutdown? I read somewhere that delta is losing money because of it.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:58 pm

Surely DL expects the government shutdown to be over by June? If DL is optimizing their RM, I don't save how the current shutdown should cause DL to change its strategy for summer flights. It should be viewed as a fixed/sunk cost, which wouldn't normally impact optimal strategies.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GLewis
I don’t mean to hijack the OP’s thread except to say I’m seeing similar high fares across the board for my trip to China in June. About a week ago they all increased by at least $300 and haven’t come down yet. ☹️ I wonder if it has to do with the government shutdown? I read somewhere that delta is losing money because of it.

Not sure I would tie the two. The same way that a bad economy tends to lead to cheaper fares and more incentives to FFPs, you'd think that if they were feeling the pinch of the shutdown they'd drive big time fare sales to try and entice leisure travelers to fill in the void of government travelers (because the business travelers will go regardless and they can use the inflexible fare buckets to capture that already) or would offer FF incentives (e.g., double miles).

The seats are gone once the flight departs so it's far more likely they'd take one of these actions to at least cover their fixed costs by enticing a few leisure travelers (and maybe FTers looking for an MQM run) to jump off the fence and book that trip they'd been debating for a while.
MSPeconomist and jinglish like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Not sure I would tie the two. The same way that a bad economy tends to lead to cheaper fares and more incentives to FFPs, you'd think that if they were feeling the pinch of the shutdown they'd drive big time fare sales to try and entice leisure travelers to fill in the void of government travelers (because the business travelers will go regardless and they can use the inflexible fare buckets to capture that already) or would offer FF incentives (e.g., double miles).

The seats are gone once the flight departs so it's far more likely they'd take one of these actions to at least cover their fixed costs by enticing a few leisure travelers (and maybe FTers looking for an MQM run) to jump off the fence and book that trip they'd been debating for a while.
I sincerely hope that DL is doing free rebooking for those who miss flights due to TSA lines.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaimemayo
SNN has limited service on Skyteam (no AMS/CDG flights), so there's only service from JFK. There's no way to get to SNN from MKE without a double-connect (due to no MKE-JFK service) and DL has limited married segment bucket availability on the various circuitous connecting options that are required for this route. You could fly MKE-LGA non-stop on a separate ticket and then shuttle over to JFK where you can get a V fare for $682 roundtrip. Or drive down to ORD (which does have JFK service) where you can get an X fare for $1044 roundtrip (as I mentioned upthread).
jaimemayo likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 22, 2019 at 11:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.