Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL Boarding Pass shenanigans--IS THIS A DUMB IDEA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL Boarding Pass shenanigans--IS THIS A DUMB IDEA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Deleted

Last edited by AANYC1981; Jan 19, 2019 at 3:03 pm
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Bottom line: It’s both dumb and unethical.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by dgilligan02
This is a good question. I have not mentioned if up until now but there is also affiliated person C on this flight. As I understand it person A booked a paid ticket and used a companion pass for person C's flights. Canceling person A's ticket would affect person C's ticket? Honestly I didn't get all that into it on why was his best move...person A is Delta Platinum or Diamond (I can't recall) and not some noob so I trust his reasoning.
Are you talking about a DL Amex Plat/Reserve companion pass? Both travelers must travel as ticketed and if the paid ticket holder no-shows the companion pass is void.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Are you talking about a DL Amex Plat/Reserve companion pass? Both travelers must travel as ticketed and if the paid ticket holder no-shows the companion pass is void.
Yeah, and this should have been mentioned earlier as it's the more significant problem versus trying to sit in FC rather than coach.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm, I guess I'll ask A exactly what he did in booking for he and C. I didn't mention there may be person C on a companion fare as it wasn't direct to my original question--but glad I did! Def need to check this out.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp
So if both "paid person" and "companion person" checked in, and then "paid person" just never boarded...they're gonna pull "companion person" off the plane?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So if both "paid person" and "companion person" checked in, and then "paid person" just never boarded...they're gonna pull "companion person" off the plane?
Yes.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Often1
You are simply wrong.

The access point to the aircraft, e.g. jet bridge, stairs or other are all "secure areas" Really not worth arguing about because it is the provision used for exactly the locations the OP's "friend" would have to access with the BP not his.
Absolutely not. What does this even mean? The OP's friend would also have access to the secure area under his own BP, and would not remotely violate 18 USC 1036.

Please tell me you're not a lawyer. This is obviously a bad idea, but for reasons that have nothing to do with this statute...
Spiff, ijgordon and telloh like this.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jan 20, 2019 at 1:23 pm Reason: Mod discretion on personal attack
Old Jan 20, 2019, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
An earlier posted said they would pull the companion person. Maybe I am missing something, but I see no reason they would pull this person. This happens often when people just are unable to make the flight.

OOPS - if this is a companion ticket - then yes they will pull the companion. I was looking as just a person flying with another.

So, the answer could be yes or no - depending on what sort of "companion" is being discussed.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:53 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
It’s probably the Amex companion cert.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Marylou
It’s probably the Amex companion cert.
If so, ToC state if primary ticket is cancelled, companion ticket is cancelled. And yes, a really bad idea.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:48 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
don't listen to the haters, this is absolutely a great idea, there is literally nothing that could go wrong, you should definitely do it and make sure to live stream so we all can see your glorious victory
dgilligan02 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by pvn
don't listen to the haters, this is absolutely a great idea, there is literally nothing that could go wrong, you should definitely do it and make sure to live stream so we all can see your glorious victory

And remember to fall on the floor, and flail about as they grab you. Then bang you head on the seat as well.
davetravels and dgilligan02 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I think it could realistically be done on a DOMESTIC flight, but luggage should NOT be checked, unless person A comes with B to the airport and checks it in themselves as person A. This also assumes A and B are the same gender, because an FA expecting a Mrs. Smith in 2C may seek clarification when a big 6ft dude is sitting there.

Both pax should online checkin. Use person B pass for passing TSA. Once past TSA, there should be no more issues...but take a pen and make the same marks on the BP that the TSA put on. It at least shows the person was checked by TSA.

The Gate doesn't check ID's at boarding for domestic flights...although on an INTL flight they do.

Then, person B can either cancel online, or leave themselves as a no-show which may cause some delay and confusion. Person B boards with the A pass, and it's done...assuming same gender and a domestic flight.

There is always a remote possiblity that a situation may arise that someone asks for your ID either at the gate or on the aircraft, but they would only happen in unusual circumstances like a dup seat assignment or a behavioral incident.

And of course, in the event of a serious delay or cancellation requiring a hotel comp you may be busted and have to pay out of pocket for a hotel or sleep in the airport. The hotel expects A...you have the ID of B, who they are not expecting.

And remember, in the event of a crash, they think person A died and notifies their family, while B's family has no idea and may never see compensation from a settlement because B was never technically on the plane and cannot be demonstrated to have been. So B's family will miss out on the millions they are owed.
LOL
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Bottom line: It’s both dumb and unethical.
+1

This whole thread is one of those "if you have to ask..." type things, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.