Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Is this typical when booking Delta awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson

I'm new to Delta, but over the last few weeks, I have been looking to book a US (BOS) to Europe (CDG) award seat for this summer. The only thing showing up are awards that cost 200,000+ miles roundtrip. Are DL awards typically this high when you don't book their specials or saver awards? I like DL's product but the sheer amount of miles required makes me think twice about if my loyalty is worth it since it would take forever to get that many miles.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I'm new to Delta, but over the last few weeks, I have been looking to book a US (BOS) to Europe (CDG) award seat for this summer. The only thing showing up are awards that cost 200,000+ miles roundtrip. Are DL awards typically this high when you don't book their specials or saver awards? I like DL's product but the sheer amount of miles required makes me think twice about if my loyalty is worth it since it would take forever to get that many miles.
When you don’t publish an award chart, you can pretty much do whatever you want.
CO-PLAT and CPMaverick like this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador

Outside of a flash sale, the lowest rate you will ever see TATL is 172K round trip - 200K is not bad (unfortunately) for Delta TATL. If you see a flight you like for 200K, you should take it. Most availability at most airports is more on the order 300-400K+.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ethernal
Outside of a flash sale, the lowest rate you will ever see TATL is 172K round trip - 200K is not bad (unfortunately) for Delta TATL.
The OP didn't specify Business class.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by ethernal
Outside of a flash sale, the lowest rate you will ever see TATL is 172K round trip - 200K is not bad (unfortunately) for Delta TATL. If you see a flight you like for 200K, you should take it. Most availability at most airports is more on the order 300-400K+.
I see 161k for Delta One in July. Connecting flights of course, but many dates/options.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I was looking at econ, and flying the BOS-CDG nonstop route. I cant believe 200,000 points is typical. I can go to Europe on AA for <50,000 miles. Crazy.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:39 pm

That doesn't seem like a reasonable average to be seeing since you can presumably fly it for less than that via Pay With Miles.

But if you are fixated on a particular city pair non-stop routing with limited date flexibility, it becomes a lot more plausible — there may be events happening or those flights may have a lot of value as feeders on more expensive routings. I've noticed some of Delta's city pairs seem bizarrely expensive in cash when compared to partner flights on the same route, but it all varies based on immediate demand. :/
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Ambassador
I’m not sure what’s bizarre about a relatively high fare.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:34 pm

Look around. I'm flying MCO-LHR for 44,000 in July. You have to look for flexible dates, try different airports.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Have you tried any other combinations? You can probably find the BOS - LHR VS flight for as low as 25k one some days and just take the train
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was looking at econ, and flying the BOS-CDG nonstop route. I cant believe 200,000 points is typical. I can go to Europe on AA for <50,000 miles. Crazy.
Does your itinerary include a Saturday night stay?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
One way flights vs. round trip flights are priced differently. Keep that in mind.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Just like with everything else it is buyer beware. There are some incredibly good deals to be had with DL miles (with each mile worth $0.03-$0.04), and other times they charge an arm and a leg. So, use your miles only when it makes sense and you get good redemption value.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

210K is the maximum roundtrip amount on DL (two YSY1050 awards). With a bit of flexibility, you can certainly find lower rates than that. The lowest award level on DL metal is 37K each-way (YSV370 award) and partners (like AF/KL/VS) are 25K each-way (YSMH250 award). While it's difficult to find 25K partner awards in the summer, there are certainly a number of dates with 37K level availability on DL. For example, using flexible dates mode, I found outbound availability for two non-stop awards at 37K on 7/7, 7/13-15, 7/17, 7/22, 7/24, 7/25, 7/27, and 7/29. Finding return availability is more challenging and you'll probably need to compromise on non-stop desire (but then you can't get AA awards non-stop on this route either). There's partner availability at 25K on 7/25, 8/8, 8/12 - 8/16, 8/19 - 8/22 (these generally involve LHR or AMS connections). There's DL availability at 37K on 8/7, 8/9, 8/18, and 8/23 (LHR connections). Pairing a DL award with partner will be 62K roundtrip, and DL each-way would be 74K roundtrip. You'll want to book as roundtrip (not one-way's) to avoid ex-EU award surcharges. Note that default sort order in flight listings is not lowest-price (and the lowest options may not be on first page). You'll want to select that when searching for these options.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 9, 2019 at 6:00 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:20 am

DL miles are certainly the least valuable of the US based airlines' miles. Yes, you can find some good deals if you have time to search and are flexible, but generally no....

As an example, I just used AS miles to get first class tickets BOS-CDG for half what DL is asking for economy (although it required a 1 stop). That rate was avilible on all five days I cecheckwd in June and July.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.