Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question for SEA based flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
IMO, if you are able to fly just about everywhere you need to on non-stops from AS, fly them. If you need to fly internationally or to smaller east coast destinations that require a connection no matter who you fly, fly DL.

One advantage to AS is that flights to places like SJC and SNA are mostly mainline on AS, are all on DL Connection. That means if it is foggy out, AS will go and the DL Connection E175s are stuck on the ground.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Glb, Hilton Gold, Marriott AMB, National EE
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If am flying SFO-SEA-AMS. Need to choose between a 1 hour 4 minute connection or a 5.5 hour connection. I really don't want to spend over five hours at the airport, though I understand the new lounge is nice, nor do I think I will want to leave the airport, but for obvious reasons a 1 hour connection to intl makes me nervous, especially out of SFO. What would you do? Flying in F/J if that matters.
Personally, I would not do the short connection. If it is on time, you are fine, albeit cutting it close. But if the weather turns at SFO as it does this time of year, that first flight will probably be delayed. Weather in SEA can also be a problem, but delays not usually to the same degree as SFO delays.
rogo and RaginPlainsman like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Hoping it is OK to stick a different SEA question in this thread as it seems like there are some folks who know it well and are following:

If am flying SFO-SEA-AMS. Need to choose between a 1 hour 4 minute connection or a 5.5 hour connection. I really don't want to spend over five hours at the airport, though I understand the new lounge is nice, nor do I think I will want to leave the airport, but for obvious reasons a 1 hour connection to intl makes me nervous, especially out of SFO. What would you do? Flying in F/J if that matters.
If those were my two options I’d more likely opt for the nonstop on KL or go via LAX to get the KL 747.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
IMO, if you are able to fly just about everywhere you need to on non-stops from AS, fly them. If you need to fly internationally or to smaller east coast destinations that require a connection no matter who you fly, fly DL.

One advantage to AS is that flights to places like SJC and SNA are mostly mainline on AS, are all on DL Connection. That means if it is foggy out, AS will go and the DL Connection E175s are stuck on the ground.

Really ?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by OPENROAD
Really ?
Yep. When Seattle was fogged in last fall, there were 5+ hour delays and cancellations on the Compass E175 flights while the mainline flights on AS and DL performed better. Part of that is the fact that regionals take the toll of flow control. Another part is the mainline aircraft have more capable radar than regional jets. It's the same reason why DL needs to fly mainline to JNU. AS could land in the fog, CP and OO can not.
OPENROAD likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
A220s maybe coming to SEA - SJC though?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by rogo
A220s maybe coming to SEA - SJC though?
Yeah starts this summer in June. Still haven't figured out where the A220s are coming from because that's currently the only route that I can see loaded in DL's S19 schedule for SEA using the A220.

They have to be rotating the plane from another station or base or it's just a placeholder for something else.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
Yeah starts this summer in June. Still haven't figured out where the A220s are coming from because that's currently the only route that I can see loaded in DL's S19 schedule for SEA using the A220.

They have to be rotating the plane from another station or base or it's just a placeholder for something else.
I think it's SLC. There are going to be 4 SJC - SLC flights on A220s as well.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:13 pm

Yep. When Seattle was fogged in last fall, there were 5+ hour delays and cancellations on the Compass E175 flights while the mainline flights on AS and DL performed better. Part of that is the fact that regionals take the toll of flow control. Another part is the mainline aircraft have more capable radar than regional jets. It's the same reason why DL needs to fly mainline to JNU. AS could land in the fog, CP and OO can not.
To be fair, AS does deploy RJs to some of the west coast stations from SEA. So when there's fog, QX is also affected - not to mention OO also flies for AS.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:17 pm

I think it's SLC. There are going to be 4 SJC - SLC flights on A220s as well.
Hmm - yeah there's a flight from SLC that lands at 9:34 AM and that seems like adequate time to make the 10:23 AM departure to SEA.

I find it a bit strange that LAX-SJC is still all RJ - would think that that would get upgauged before SEA-SJC.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by ab2013
To be fair, AS does deploy RJs to some of the west coast stations from SEA. So when there's fog, QX is also affected - not to mention OO also flies for AS.
True, but I would assume that any flight that is DL mainline that AS would use QX or OO exclusively. Other than flying to DL's other hubs, I don't think there is a domestic route out of SEA where DL has more capacity.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold

If your flight isn’t delayed out, you should make that flight easy. SEA isn’t a large airport and even if you have to change terminals (the SFO flights sometimes come in S and sometimes A, the AMS is usually out of S), the train is fast. I’ve made more tight connections out of SEA than any other airport, including times it was totally my fault. I would honestly worry more about my bags making it to AMS more than you, assuming you’re checking.

You could always book the later flight and then see if you could get standby on the earlier one (assuming a J seat is still available), b/c the alternative of having to take the later standby (possibly in a lower-class cabin) might suck.

If if you do the longer layover, the club in A is really nice — the one in S is small and serviceable but it’s not the nice club. If you have an Amex Platnium, the Centurion Lounge is also very nice.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:34 pm

True, but I would assume that any flight that is DL mainline that AS would use QX or OO exclusively. Other than flying to DL's other hubs, I don't think there is a domestic route out of SEA where DL has more capacity.
DL still trails AS in capacity on pretty much every non-hub route to/from SEA... and some focus cities/hubs (SEA-BOS/RDU/LAX) too.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by film_girl

If your flight isn’t delayed out, you should make that flight easy. SEA isn’t a large airport and even if you have to change terminals (the SFO flights sometimes come in S and sometimes A, the AMS is usually out of S), the train is fast. I’ve made more tight connections out of SEA than any other airport, including times it was totally my fault. I would honestly worry more about my bags making it to AMS more than you, assuming you’re checking.

You could always book the later flight and then see if you could get standby on the earlier one (assuming a J seat is still available), b/c the alternative of having to take the later standby (possibly in a lower-class cabin) might suck.

If if you do the longer layover, the club in A is really nice — the one in S is small and serviceable but it’s not the nice club. If you have an Amex Platnium, the Centurion Lounge is also very nice.

I don't think you can SDC/SDS on an outbound international itinerary - only on the inbound after completing the international portion.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

If those were my two options I’d more likely opt for the nonstop on KL or go via LAX to get the KL 747.

Thanks. The backstory is that the flight is the one I purchased with the 98K miles flash sale, and this was the only routing available for that price. I had been hoping for a schedule change to allow me to fix it but as the date gets closer that seeming less likely, though I still have 60 days.

I know that technically I can't make any changes without incurring penalties/fare change, but I also I know that if I push hard enough and find the right person that someone might do me a favor. The more accurate question is, is it worth the time and energy and probably more than a few HUCAs to get this done?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.