Wiki Posts
Search

China Transit without visa via Delta

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM
China Transit without visa via Delta

Booked a roundtrip DTW-PVG (non-stop both ways) via Delta and another PVG-NRT via ANA (non-stop both ways). I would like to take advantage of the 144h transit without visa (TWOV) program to visit Shanghai for 72 hours on the outbound. On the return, the layover is long but less than 24 hours so I'll just stay at the airport. I've done a lot research so my flights should be OK according to China's rules for the program. What I've read online is that the most common problem is the airlines themselves not allowing passenger who comply with TMOV rules to board their flights because they lack a visa and the gate agents are confused about the TMOV program. Have you used the program via Delta? Did you encounter any problems? Given the recent tension between Canada/US and China, it would also be helpful to hear about the experiences of recent travelers to China using the TMOV regardless of airline.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes and yes. My theory is that somehow with DL the GA swipes the ticket rather than entering information, and then the problem is that China appears as the destination rather than the transit point. DL employees "believe" that everyone (USA citizen) needs a visa for China and refuse to consider any evidence to the contrary. They also claim to have their own version of TIMATIC.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
Booked a roundtrip DTW-PVG (non-stop both ways) via Delta and another PVG-NRT via ANA (non-stop both ways). I would like to take advantage of the 144h transit without visa (TWOV) program to visit Shanghai for 72 hours on the outbound. On the return, the layover is long but less than 24 hours so I'll just stay at the airport. I've done a lot research so my flights should be OK according to China's rules for the program. What I've read online is that the most common problem is the airlines themselves not allowing passenger who comply with TMOV rules to board their flights because they lack a visa and the gate agents are confused about the TMOV program. Have you used the program via Delta? Did you encounter any problems? Given the recent tension between Canada/US and China, it would also be helpful to hear about the experiences of recent travelers to China using the TMOV regardless of airline.
You should be okay as long as you show DL your ANA ticket receipt, AND instruct them (in a kind manor) to input China as the transit country in TIMATIC. If you're into Disney, you might be able to squeeze in a visit on the return <24 hour layover; it is close to PVG.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The main sticking point is airline employees try and use the airline definition of "transit," which is under 24 hours. They need to understand that China defines transit as either 144 or 72 hour (depending on the city).
CPMaverick and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:52 pm

i was denied boarding on a SIN run in december because my passport expired in 5 months(not 6)...i wasn't leaving airport with the 5 hour turnaround in SIN.

I know that is a different scenario that you but thought it might be close enough to convey (to show the agent wouldn't budge).

BTW it took 23 days to get new passport (just normal mail in processing, no rush or expedited use)
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The main sticking point is airline employees try and use the airline definition of "transit," which is under 24 hours. They need to understand that China defines transit as either 144 or 72 hour (depending on the city).
.....or they look at the fare construction and fare components to decide whether you can have a transit. For example, IME with a triangular trip that uses a RT fare that allows one stopover, they might be willing to consider the stopover to be a transit, but not the destination according to the fare construction.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.....or they look at the fare construction and fare components to decide whether you can have a transit. For example, IME with a triangular trip that uses a RT fare that allows one stopover, they might be willing to consider the stopover to be a transit, but not the destination according to the fare construction.
As we all know, the fare construction is of zero relevance to TWOV.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I had no problem doing this in the past, and I suspect for the vast majority of people this works fine. Otherwise we'd be hearing a lot more complaints here than the one or two examples that get trotted out repeatedly.

Of course you never know when you'll get a bad agent...
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
As we all know, the fare construction is of zero relevance to TWOV.
Of course, but that doesn't keep DL employees from denying boarding.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While FT is far from the universe of people who use the TWOV scheme, it has been a while since there have been posts asserting that one carrier or another has denied boarding on a China-bound flight on the ground that the inbound to and outbound from China did not meet standard IATA definitions. Perhaps someone at IATA has flagged this or Chinese authorities expressed their displeasure to the assembled carriers?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by Often1
While FT is far from the universe of people who use the TWOV scheme, it has been a while since there have been posts asserting that one carrier or another has denied boarding on a China-bound flight on the ground that the inbound to and outbound from China did not meet standard IATA definitions. Perhaps someone at IATA has flagged this or Chinese authorities expressed their displeasure to the assembled carriers?
Or perhaps China and IATA got together and figured out how to better incorporate China's rules into the TIMATIC system? Just like IATA works with all countries to handle these issues.

The users of this system should not be expected to know what various rules are. They should plug an ITN/passport/,,, in and get an answer. That was not always happening in the past. But you are correct, no recent complaints of this so very possible the system has been fixed.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM HH Diamond
I did this once a few years ago, luckily had a knowledgeable gate agent, showed her my return via ICN

think about getting the visa though when you can, it’s a 10 year visa and was a fairly pain free experience. The ‘security’ of having the visa rests my mind when Im in China. IMHO It adds a sense of ease and legitimacy, China can be an intimidating experience the first few times around.

enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rhinolicious
I did this once a few years ago, luckily had a knowledgeable gate agent, showed her my return via ICN

think about getting the visa though when you can, it’s a 10 year visa and was a fairly pain free experience. The ‘security’ of having the visa rests my mind when Im in China. IMHO It adds a sense of ease and legitimacy, China can be an intimidating experience the first few times around.

enjoy your trip!
This is good advice. If you think you might ever return to China (and you should!), just get the VISA, it is quite easy to do
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:20 am

Take print outs of both your onward connections and the 144 hour rules (from Chinese embassy website). The agents will likely refer to the TIMATIC documented rules, but these are complicated and the part with the 144 hour entry rules is right at the bottom (below parts that say a visa is required).

My experience flying from Europe to Shanghai (obviously not on Delta) was at both check-in and the document check on boarding we were first told 'not allowed to travel - you need a visa', and it took showing the documents (with the 144 hour rule) and being referred to a supervisor to both check-in and later board the plane.

At the immigration desks in Shanghai there are separate lines for those entering on the 144hour rule - again print outs of documents (flights and hotel reservation) helped.

All that said, I would do it again. Much easier (for a frequent traveller) than getting a visa....
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Take print outs of both your onward connections and the 144 hour rules (from Chinese embassy website). The agents will likely refer to the TIMATIC documented rules, but these are complicated and the part with the 144 hour entry rules is right at the bottom (below parts that say a visa is required).

My experience flying from Europe to Shanghai (obviously not on Delta) was at both check-in and the document check on boarding we were first told 'not allowed to travel - you need a visa', and it took showing the documents (with the 144 hour rule) and being referred to a supervisor to both check-in and later board the plane.

At the immigration desks in Shanghai there are separate lines for those entering on the 144hour rule - again print outs of documents (flights and hotel reservation) helped.

All that said, I would do it again. Much easier (for a frequent traveller) than getting a visa....
I disagree with respect to the bolded text; embassy websites frequently contain outdated (i.e. useless) information on these matters. TIMATIC is definitive.
CO-PLAT and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.