Wiki Posts
Search

1:50 Connection in PVG?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
1:50 Connection in PVG?

Looking at a China Eastern flight from JFK to PVG that has a 1:50 connection time in PVG to another China Eastern flight that goes to Chengdu.

Is this a doable connection? Or am I playing with fire? I'll be flying biz, no checked luggage and have all of the proper documentation for China.

I've never done a connection at PVG...

Apologies posting in DL forum...couldn't think where else folks would really know the scoop...

Thanks!!!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Pudong is well laid out for international-to-domestic connections. Your connection should have no problems.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta DM 360, MR Plat, RR, SPG Gold
I'd second that it should be plenty of time, especially with just carry on bags. On Delta metal, you would not even have to change Terminals for the connection but I am not sure if the China Eastern flight from JFK will arrive at T2 or not. Domestic China flights are out of T1.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BMDMAX
I'd second that it should be plenty of time, especially with just carry on bags. On Delta metal, you would not even have to change Terminals for the connection but I am not sure if the China Eastern flight from JFK will arrive at T2 or not. Domestic China flights are out of T1.
I believe you're a bit confused. Domestic China flights operate from both terminals. It just depends on airline. China Eastern like DL operates from T1. Simple connection and absent an ATC delay easily doable with time to spend at lounge.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Agreed with other replies. As a side note, I would not do the same in the return direction. Domestic flights operate to a looser schedule , and obviously missing the TPAC is a serious problem.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
First,
It is 2 airport in Shanghai (PVG & SHA), did BOTH your flight arrive - departure from PVG ?
1h50 Can be tight sometime, because you must pass Immigration and recheck with China Eastern.
Depending the date & time, Immigration can be "crazy" sometime.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM+, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
SHA is effectively a domestic only airport. You can't fly to SHA direct from USA.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
SHA is effectively a domestic only airport. You can't fly to SHA direct from USA.
I wouldn't say that's accurate as SHA has international flights to Hong Kong, Japan, Macau, S. Korea, and Taiwan but SHA doesn't have intercontinental flights.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
But you can from Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong - It is an international airport as well as domestic.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I believe you're a bit confused. Domestic China flights operate from both terminals. It just depends on airline. China Eastern like DL operates from T1. Simple connection and absent an ATC delay easily doable with time to spend at lounge.
Just a little heads up: based on my recent(early Dec.) experience, flying LAX-PVG on DL(J), my connecting flight to PEK on China Eastern departed from T1, I believe, but they use remote boarding. So, you get to wait at a distant gate, without much seating, then take a bus to the plane, and then it's a c*f to board up the stairs, with carryons! Plus, my flight was delayed 45 min., but no announcement given about the delay. However, I knew we wern't going anywhere until the bus arrived. While they did have a separate SkyPriority line, it didn't matter since they let both lines board the bus at the same time. And, of course, when arriving at the aircraft, everyone disembarks at the same time so if you're in the "wrong" part of the bus, as I was, you get to stand out in the open, until going up the covered stairs, and get soaked if it's raining, which it was!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
I've connected a few times this year, all on MU, and multiple times from JFK.

The JFK flights land at weird times, so, generally speaking, there weren't any other flights to worry about at passport control.

When I flew, the first time they didn't have the automated kiosks for domestic flight connections. Last time, they did. I used it, but the Transit Without Visa line didn't care, so I had to fill out the paperwork anyway.

I'm assuming you have a Chinese Visa for this trip, or a Chinese passport.

I remember the process for getting to my gate being a cluster, as the signs in English are useless. I had a checked bag and boarding pass for my onward flight. Bag was checked through, didn't need to do anything for it, but went to the luggage office anyway. Since I had my boarding pass already, i could skip the lines I encountered, but only after I stood in them for awhile. Ask those around you for help, someone will speak English well enough to tell you what to do. I wish I had. I flew PVG-PEK and it took off out of the same terminal I arrived in, but the other side. You'll know what I mean once you land. I imagine you flight will do the same.

Overall, you have plenty of time. But don't be surprised if your flight from JFK deboards onto a bus.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 3MM/PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
All,

Thank you so very much!

Always a pleasure to get coaching from the DL and Skyteam FF's! Many thanks to those of you who were kind enough to respond.

Booking some DL miles for a bicycle trip from Chengdu up into the Tibeten high lands (with that 1:50 connection at PVG)

Best,

Joel
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
What does this topic have to do with Delta Airlines?
Because there are a lot of Delta fliers who fly MU and there aren't a lot of posters in the Asia forum compared to the Delta board.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
Because there are a lot of Delta fliers who fly MU and there aren't a lot of posters in the Asia forum compared to the Delta board.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chin...ai-pudong.html
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:46 pm

Nope, can't see that.
arunhn and FSUnole03 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.