Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Award ticket and tight connection in FCO - opinions needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,
Wanted to ask the experts ie my Delta award flights next week. Got a good deal on biz class award ticket from BOS-TGD with connections via LHR (first leg is on Virgin) and then FCO (Al Italia). However, I’m planning on hopping off at FCO (carry on only) and then connecting to TUN (also on AlItalia) with a new ticket. Unfortunately, it’s a pretty tight connection from LHR-FCO (50 mins) and I’m pretty certain I’ll have to transfer from Terminal 1 to Terminal 3 (again carry on only so no worries with luggage). Now, I can purchase a LHR-TUN ticket on AlItalia for a few dollars more than FCO-TUN but does anyone know if it would be an issue to have two seats/two tickets on the same flight (the LHR-FCO leg), or am I just better off either trying to make the 50 min connection on the new ticket or should I simply stay at FCO and fly the next am (I’m scheduled for the last flight to TUN of the day)? Is it much of an issue going from T1 to T3 non-Schengen (I don’t have to clear customs/immigration, do I?)? Many thanks for your help - haven’t been to FCO in years...
Old Jan 2, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Plenty of risk either way. I do assume this is a one way ticket? Clearly you can not do this and attempt to return. I would rather spend a half day/night visiting Rome if any such option exists.

On connection time, remember that this is a split ticket., so you will be a pax departing FCO who gets to the airport at T-50 (or later). For an international flight, that is really risky.

Do not know if either airline would see an overlap and cancel, But airlines do watch for this.

At the least I would make back-up plans to spend some time in Rome.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA - G (mm), DL - DM, MM, AA - Plat
If I am reading your question correctly, you are concerned about a tight connection at FCO. LHR flights arrive into T3 at FCO so you won’t have to clear immigration or security. A 50 minute connection is therefore possible. But very unlikely. You could well end up on a bus either coming or going from FCO. In either case it feels too tight for me. My rule of thumb at FCO is 90 mins. Minimum.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP does not have a connection as the route he intends to fly is on separate tickets. Thus, the risk of a now show is on OP. The question is not whether the transfer can be made at FCO but whether OP is willing to accept the risk of having to purchase new tickets if he is late.

As to abandoning his connection on the first ticket, I take it that the ticket terminates at TGD?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
presuming OP has a one-way ticket, the simplest and lowest-risk solution is to fly out of FCO the next morning

if OP has any onward or return flights on the ticket, skipping or no-showing any leg of the outbound trip will result in the airline canceling the remaining segment(s)
Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, the original ticket is a one way ticket terminating in TGD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.