Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta exit NRT for HND and eliminate flights to SIN and MNL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Delta exit NRT for HND and eliminate flights to SIN and MNL?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WWads
I know that DL is scared to death of alienating the PRC, but a JV would China Airlines could make sense. Sure it's a weaker O/D market than ICN, but by how much? Distance could be an issue I suppose. It's about 1000 miles longer than DTW-ICN, but it's also much more centrally located for SE Asia, and CI serves a lot of destinations in that region.

I guess the biggest issue is equipment. 767s can't make it from SEA, which leaves (inefficient) A332s, and 772s/A359s which might be too big. Then again, UA uses a 773 for SFO-TPE.
JV has to be approved by both governments. No way US would approve without PRC approving it. As it is, US position is only to approve JV with countries that have an Open Skies treaty.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I will say that Delta will be in pretty good shape when fuel prices rise. When fuel prices rise Delta stops overflying hubs. That goes for domestic and international. Any secondary Asia service remaining will be served from SEA or LAX. Delta really won't have much to cut aside from ATL-PVG and stuff like DTW-NGO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.