Search

$82 to platinum

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

$82 to platinum

26,802 rollover MQMs, that's all
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:04 am

Programs: SkyMiles 2018 PM, 2019 PM, 2020 PM, 2021 PM, 2022 PM, 2023 PM...
I'll roll over 25,249, $2,526 from PM...

Now to learn how to make the most use of rollover miles.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:30 am

Quite frankly for most people Gold Medallion is pretty good and if you don't fly for business $6K/year is a reasonable amount to spend.
I will roll over 16,228 miles and I am pretty happy about that
ab2013 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:44 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Wimsta
I'll roll over 25,249, $2,526 from PM...

Now to learn how to make the most use of rollover miles.
Nothing to learn in early/mid-January the rollover amount will be added to your 2019 earned total, as if you had just instantly completed a (in your case) 25,249 MQM mileage run.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Nothing to learn in early/mid-January the rollover amount will be added to your 2019 earned total, as if you had just instantly completed a (in your case) 25,249 MQM mileage run.
I've never had any issue with MQMs comparatively, it has always been an issue of MQDs. So while this is the first time I'm rolling over miles, if I don't learn something I'll just end up rolling more over each year.

I've already made one change, I finally got an AMEX card. I'm not sure I can actually hit $25k spend without some planning, but this will be a big year...

If I work everything right, I should be able to hit spend requirement and with help of rollover I'll easily be PM again in 2020.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:48 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I've never had any issue with MQMs comparatively, it has always been an issue of MQDs. So while this is the first time I'm rolling over miles, if I don't learn something I'll just end up rolling more over each year.
Ah, I misunderstood, sorry, but I see what you mean now ^
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Zorak
Ah, I misunderstood, sorry, but I see what you mean now ^
It's more like I see what everyone else has been saying now.

Lots of wisdom in these threads.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat

I've already made one change, I finally got an AMEX card. I'm not sure I can actually hit $25k spend without some planning, but this will be a big year...

If I work everything right, I should be able to hit spend requirement and with help of rollover I'll easily be PM again in 2020.
I'm guessing you mean the "something to learn" is scheduling an international partner trip? AM, KE, MU, AF, KL all provide ways to bump up the MQDs with reasonably priced business class trips.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold

I managed to get the bulk of my card spend this year on my amex which granted me the MQD waiver. So now I'm Platinum. Without it I would've stayed silver.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
In similar boat (25K+ MQM over gold threshold) but $400 away from Platinum. Don’t have DL Amex and don’t intend on getting one. Staying gold for rollover MQMs. Don’t really care about comfort, happy enough with preferred exit row seats.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by mot29
I'm guessing you mean the "something to learn" is scheduling an international partner trip? AM, KE, MU, AF, KL all provide ways to bump up the MQDs with reasonably priced business class trips.
That is definitely something I'm looking at, I'm still feeling pretty clueless about spotting good MQD values.

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
I managed to get the bulk of my card spend this year on my amex which granted me the MQD waiver. So now I'm Platinum. Without it I would've stayed silver.
This also could be something of a challenge, training myself to put everything on the card when I've been pretty accustomed to paying cash. But, I've gathered that there are some ways people boost their spend.

$82 short would probably have me frustrated, but then it might make the whole experience more relaxed.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by balatn
Quite frankly for most people Gold Medallion is pretty good and if you don't fly for business $6K/year is a reasonable amount to spend.
I will roll over 16,228 miles and I am pretty happy about that

I've been comfortable at GM for quite a few years now. I buy C+ or F when I really want it, and I enjoy the other perks. The worst GM devaluation was when they took away C+ (or Economy Comfort as it was then) at time of booking (though I'm sure the PM and DM pax appreciated having more availability.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The worst GM devaluation was when they took away C+ (or Economy Comfort as it was then) at time of booking (though I'm sure the PM and DM pax appreciated having more availability.
Ya, this was my biggest gripe, too. That made me finally value PM and get off the sidelines staying Gold.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by daloosh
Ya, this was my biggest gripe, too. That made me finally value PM and get off the sidelines staying Gold.
IIRC They used to offer discounts for C+ for FO (25% off) and GM (50% off) too before they started branding Comfort as its own fare class.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

I just received another "Elevate Your Status" email, this time with an expiration of February 28, 2019.

$999 for the lowest redemption rate which gets me my measly $82 MQDs

What happens to my rollover MQMs?

I really want Platinum and am close to doing this. Tell me why I shouldn't please!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.