FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   529 miles from Platinum status (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1947592-529-miles-platinum-status.html)

BA Dec 26, 2018 1:20 pm

529 miles from Platinum status

I'm pretty new to Delta SkyMiles. I did the SkyMiles Status Match challenge from Alaska MVP Gold 75K, so I currently have Platinum status on Delta.

For next year though, I'm going to fall 529 MQMs short of Platinum, so will have Gold status. I already more than hit the MQD requirement, so I'm just a tad short of the 75,000 MQM requirement by 529 miles.

Should I just settle for Gold and take advantage of the nice MQM roll over into 2019? Or is there something I should try to do to bump myself up to Platinum before years end? Does Delta let you buy MQMs if I decide I want to close the 529 MQM gap I have? I won't be able to do any quick mileage run before the year end.

Thanks for any feedback.

TheHorta Dec 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Yes, Delta has MQM purchase offers. There are a few recent threads here on this.

Pushing for PM is a personal choice. Better UG chances, free award ticket redeposit, RUCs, slightly better RDM multiplier, faster / better telephone priority handling, and pretty dark gray Brag Tags.

jrl767 Dec 26, 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30575922)
... Pushing for PM is a personal choice. Better UG chances, free award ticket redeposit, RUCs, slightly better RDM multiplier, faster / better telephone priority handling ...

imo these are the biggies

starting the year as GM with 24,471 rollover MQM certainly isn’t a bad plan, but OP needs to assess anticipated 2019 travel (MQM/MQD accumulation rate) and bookings (AmEx spend toward MQD waiver if applicable, needed flexibility for award travel) to decide what’s best

BA Dec 26, 2018 2:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful for a Delta newbie such as myself.

I just looked at the cost of buying MQMs, and the lowest cost option is $999 just to get 1000 MQMs, 3 MQS, and $999 in MQDs. Far too expensive...

Looks like I'm just going to have to go for the rollover and have a nice jumping off point.

flamingocrazyfl Dec 26, 2018 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by TheHorta (Post 30575922)
Yes, Delta has MQM purchase offers. There are a few recent threads here on this.

Pushing for PM is a personal choice. Better UG chances, free award ticket redeposit, RUCs, slightly better RDM multiplier, faster / better telephone priority handling, and pretty dark gray Brag Tags.

also don’t forget about C+ at booking. This is huge, IMO.

jrkmsp Dec 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by BA (Post 30576099)
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful for a Delta newbie such as myself.

I just looked at the cost of buying MQMs, and the lowest cost option is $999 just to get 1000 MQMs, 3 MQS, and $999 in MQDs. Far too expensive...

Looks like I'm just going to have to go for the rollover and have a nice jumping off point.

Looks from your profile like you're maybe based in Seattle. Any chance you want to fly to Portland on Friday or Saturday? Looks like you can take a 1:20 flight down to POrtland and turn around and fly right back, getting back to SEA at 4:30. That would net you 1000 MQMs for just $251. That's pretty painless and pretty affordable for all the above mentioned benefits. Up to you though.

(If you're based in Denver, which is the other option I see on your profile, there's a $207 option to SLC, but it involves spending basically the whole day there. But it's damn cheap and as a PM currently, you could try and standby for an earlier flight.)

BA Dec 26, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I am Seattle-based, but am currently in Denver for the holidays (until after the New Year's).

I was looking at doing a quick SLC run, I'll have to see if it's worth my time. What day did you see the $207 option?

loratliff Dec 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by BA (Post 30576398)
Thanks for the reply.

I am Seattle-based, but am currently in Denver for the holidays (until after the New Year's).

I was looking at doing a quick SLC run, I'll have to see if it's worth my time. What day did you see the $207 option?

I see that option on Saturday, the 29th.

Lrtalk Dec 26, 2018 4:26 pm

If you have a Reserve card, the free companion certificate books into FC if you're PM. It books into coach if you're GM.

CarmenOM Dec 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl (Post 30576108)

This.
I am a leisure flyer and usually book 2-6 weeks in advance. I can always get C+ aisle or window.

xliioper Dec 26, 2018 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Lrtalk (Post 30576445)
If you have a Reserve card, the free companion certificate books into FC if you're PM. It books into coach if you're GM.

This is not true. The Reserve card companion certificate is good for either FC or coach (subject to availability) no matter what your Medallion status level.

Duke787 Dec 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl (Post 30576108)

+1000. Including award tickets including international Y award tickets with companion. That alone is worth the $ if you have any TATL or TPAC Y travel next year

jrkmsp Dec 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by BA (Post 30576398)
Thanks for the reply.

I saw it on 12/29.

gooselee Dec 26, 2018 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 30576529)
This is not true. The Reserve card companion certificate is good for either FC or coach (subject to availability) no matter what your Medallion status level.

+1 - including no Medallion status at all.