529 miles from Platinum status

Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:20 pm
BA
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Question 529 miles from Platinum status

I'm pretty new to Delta SkyMiles. I did the SkyMiles Status Match challenge from Alaska MVP Gold 75K, so I currently have Platinum status on Delta.

For next year though, I'm going to fall 529 MQMs short of Platinum, so will have Gold status. I already more than hit the MQD requirement, so I'm just a tad short of the 75,000 MQM requirement by 529 miles.

Should I just settle for Gold and take advantage of the nice MQM roll over into 2019? Or is there something I should try to do to bump myself up to Platinum before years end? Does Delta let you buy MQMs if I decide I want to close the 529 MQM gap I have? I won't be able to do any quick mileage run before the year end.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Yes, Delta has MQM purchase offers. There are a few recent threads here on this.

Pushing for PM is a personal choice. Better UG chances, free award ticket redeposit, RUCs, slightly better RDM multiplier, faster / better telephone priority handling, and pretty dark gray Brag Tags.
BA likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by TheHorta
... Pushing for PM is a personal choice. Better UG chances, free award ticket redeposit, RUCs, slightly better RDM multiplier, faster / better telephone priority handling ...
imo these are the biggies

starting the year as GM with 24,471 rollover MQM certainly isn’t a bad plan, but OP needs to assess anticipated 2019 travel (MQM/MQD accumulation rate) and bookings (AmEx spend toward MQD waiver if applicable, needed flexibility for award travel) to decide what’s best
BA and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:24 pm
BA
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful for a Delta newbie such as myself.

I just looked at the cost of buying MQMs, and the lowest cost option is $999 just to get 1000 MQMs, 3 MQS, and $999 in MQDs. Far too expensive...

Looks like I'm just going to have to go for the rollover and have a nice jumping off point.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL PM; MR Titanium & LTT; Hilton Diamond; National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TheHorta
Yes, Delta has MQM purchase offers. There are a few recent threads here on this.

Pushing for PM is a personal choice. Better UG chances, free award ticket redeposit, RUCs, slightly better RDM multiplier, faster / better telephone priority handling, and pretty dark gray Brag Tags.
also don’t forget about C+ at booking. This is huge, IMO.
Psyduck1, Duke787 and TheHorta like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BA
Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful for a Delta newbie such as myself.

I just looked at the cost of buying MQMs, and the lowest cost option is $999 just to get 1000 MQMs, 3 MQS, and $999 in MQDs. Far too expensive...

Looks like I'm just going to have to go for the rollover and have a nice jumping off point.
Looks from your profile like you're maybe based in Seattle. Any chance you want to fly to Portland on Friday or Saturday? Looks like you can take a 1:20 flight down to POrtland and turn around and fly right back, getting back to SEA at 4:30. That would net you 1000 MQMs for just $251. That's pretty painless and pretty affordable for all the above mentioned benefits. Up to you though.

(If you're based in Denver, which is the other option I see on your profile, there's a $207 option to SLC, but it involves spending basically the whole day there. But it's damn cheap and as a PM currently, you could try and standby for an earlier flight.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:07 pm
BA
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

I am Seattle-based, but am currently in Denver for the holidays (until after the New Year's).

I was looking at doing a quick SLC run, I'll have to see if it's worth my time. What day did you see the $207 option?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by BA
Thanks for the reply.

I am Seattle-based, but am currently in Denver for the holidays (until after the New Year's).

I was looking at doing a quick SLC run, I'll have to see if it's worth my time. What day did you see the $207 option?
I see that option on Saturday, the 29th.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL DM
If you have a Reserve card, the free companion certificate books into FC if you're PM. It books into coach if you're GM.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl

This.
I am a leisure flyer and usually book 2-6 weeks in advance. I can always get C+ aisle or window.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lrtalk
If you have a Reserve card, the free companion certificate books into FC if you're PM. It books into coach if you're GM.
This is not true. The Reserve card companion certificate is good for either FC or coach (subject to availability) no matter what your Medallion status level.
TheHorta and gooselee like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flamingocrazyfl

+1000. Including award tickets including international Y award tickets with companion. That alone is worth the $ if you have any TATL or TPAC Y travel next year
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BA
Thanks for the reply.

I saw it on 12/29.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by LBJ
This is not true. The Reserve card companion certificate is good for either FC or coach (subject to availability) no matter what your Medallion status level.
+1 - including no Medallion status at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.