Wiki Posts
Search

Book same person twice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Book same person twice

I need to rebook SIL on BDL/CUN in April. The award price has dropped enough to make this worthwhile. But, I want to use Amex credits that are not available till Jan 1 for redeposit fee. So esstionaly she would be booked twice until Jan 1 when I would cancel the first booking. Would this cause problems? Can a person hold two bookings for the same flights?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by thebat
I need to rebook SIL on BDL/CUN in April. The award price has dropped enough to make this worthwhile. But, I want to use Amex credits that are not available till Jan 1 for redeposit fee. So esstionaly she would be booked twice until Jan 1 when I would cancel the first booking. Would this cause problems? Can a person hold two bookings for the same flights?
No. System will see the double booking and cancel one or both of the reservations.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Proceed with extreme caution. Could end up costing lots.

Okay.. explain the "Amex Credits" to pay for redeposit fee? What are those?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Proceed with extreme caution. Could end up costing lots.

Okay.. explain the "Amex Credits" to pay for redeposit fee? What are those?
AMEX gives a yearly credit for airline purchase. I believe $200 or $250 last time I checked . Helps cover some incidental fees.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by audidudi
And it's spelt ESSENTIALLY, not ESSTIONALY! Doesn't everyone proof read their posting either prior to posting or right afterwards?! Definitely DO NOT do a double booking!
think we all try to. However sometimes things slip through. My auto correct also sometimes change correctly spelled words to incorrect spellings.
nancypants and tvnwz like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
It's risky, but you could go ahead and book the 2nd ticket without her SM #, and then add it back after you've cancelled the first ticket.

Though it would still be extremely easy for DL to flag it as the same person since the name, DOB/gender info, and account used for miles purchase are all the same.

It's not a 100% guarantee that DL will find the duplicate and cancel one, but if it's literally the exact same flight, it's at least a 50/50 proposition. Would be less risky if the new booking was at least a different flight on the same day.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
Can you book either including or omitting a middle name or initial so there's a difference in how the ticketed name reads, but it won't cause problems when flying?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL uses sophisticated anti-fraud software. Anyone who tells you to skip the SM # or drop a middle name or somesuch is basing their advice of 10-year old software.

DL may well cancel one or both tickets. Where are you then?

Doing this is all up to you and your risk tolerance.
Mr. Tickets likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Thanks for all the informative replies. I guess I will hold off on doing anything until the new year and hope that the price decrease doesn't disappear.
I was using speech to text on my tablet, so mistakes are forgivable are they not?

Again thanks to you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Often1
DL uses sophisticated anti-fraud software. Anyone who tells you to skip the SM # or drop a middle name or somesuch is basing their advice of 10-year old software.

DL may well cancel one or both tickets. Where are you then?

Doing this is all up to you and your risk tolerance.
I did say there was still a risk.

But I've booked myself, using SM# on both bookings, on multiple conflicting flights many times and never had a problem. DL phone agents have even advised me of no need to cancel the conflict since doing so would trigger an unnecessary add/collect. All this despite some FTers advising that the world would end if I did this.

Granted, the only times I have booked myself twice on the exact same flight was in a situation like OP, where a lower fare came up but I didn't want to release my existing booking until the new fare had been secured - and in those cases my double bookings only existed for a few minutes, not days.

Yes, it's all up to OP's risk tolerance. He/she could also call DL and just tell them what he is trying to do, and they could perhaps note a PNR that it will be cancelled by 1/1. Or they can go ahead and book into the new fare but hold reticketing until the change fee add/collect is processed (which OP would call back in to deal with on 1/1).

If someone wanted to pay in person for a change fee, isn't there a way that they can call in for the change, and then have several days after that to go by a ticket counter to pay the fee and finish reticketing?
emrdoc likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AMEX gives a yearly credit for airline purchase. I believe $200 or $250 last time I checked . Helps cover some incidental fees.
Ah... thanks.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by thebat
Thanks for all the informative replies. I guess I will hold off on doing anything until the new year and hope that the price decrease doesn't disappear.
I was using speech to text on my tablet, so mistakes are forgivable are they not?

Again thanks to you all and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Bummer. I was hoping you would book it. So we could have a real time update of how awesome Delta's anti-fraud algorithms are.
emrdoc likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Plat, VS Gold, UA Plat, VX Gold (RIP), AS MVP 75K, Starriot Plat, Hertz President's Circle
The anti-fraud is not that strong.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:33 pm

Book sil using a slightly diff name. Does she have a middle name, initial, anything? Add it or dont use it... depending on how you booked the first ticket.
Family has same name we use last/first M and last/first all the time and never had anything cancel.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gagajm
Book sil using a slightly diff name. Does she have a middle name, initial, anything? Add it or dont use it... depending on how you booked the first ticket.
Family has same name we use last/first M and last/first all the time and never had anything cancel.
Yes but then it looks at DOB/gender/card used/etc....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.