Wiki Posts
Search

Got an op-up AMS-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Got an op-up AMS-LAX

Yesterday I flew DL 79: AMS-LAX. When I look ated -8 hours I still had a whole row of 4 to myself in Economy Comfort. When I got to the airport about -4 hours (I was coming from Belgium and I always extra, extra time if I can -- the Belgians taught the French how to strike ) I had been upgraded to D1. I was going to see about DoD upgrades (in October I was able to get one on the same flight for 35K Skymiles and no $$$).

There ended up being at least 5-6 empty seats in D1. After reading the other thread "Everybody Got Updated" is it possible for a 333 weight and balance issues that they need to move everybody forward? Or maybe it was just to consolidate passengers on a very empty flight to make service easier? *Move everybody up to the front of Y and those in EC to D1)

Or maybe it was just "Merry Christmas" from KLM.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 18, 2018 at 9:31 am Reason: clarity
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Weight and balance is incredibly unlikely on a relatively full A330. It’s much more probable that the flight was full, and the many empty seats on the seat map were just waiting to be assigned to basic economy passengers at checkin/the gate.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
DL seat maps are not accurate DoD at AMS.
MSPeconomist and SDQBound like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Forget seat maps. How full or empty was the flight?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 12:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mnbp
DL seat maps are not accurate DoD at AMS.
This. Anything past T-48 is just a snapshot of what seatmap looked like before the flight was transferred to departure control system.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA
Weight and balance is incredibly unlikely on a relatively full A330. It’s much more probable that the flight was full, and the many empty seats on the seat map were just waiting to be assigned to basic economy passengers at checkin/the gate.
It was not an op up in the traditional sense (the title was changed by the moderators). The flight was J9/Y9 according to EF and went I went for a walk it was at least half empty in back -- hard to judge the exact percentage but as empty as I've seen a 330 in a long time.

I didn't think W&B was a big deal on A330 but things are different on very empty planes and that was a legitimate question on my part -- I don't know.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just be happy, and consider it a Christmas present from DL
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Forget seat maps. How full or empty was the flight?
The flight was very empty -- maybe 50% full in back, at least 5-6 empty in D1 -- wasn't really trying to count but no way was it an OpUp in the traditional sense.

That is why the original title mentioned "Phantom Upgrade" -- PMNW would sometimes upgrade Plats when there were a lot of empty seats up front.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

That is why the original title mentioned "Phantom Upgrade" -- PMNW would sometimes upgrade Plats when there were a lot of empty seats up front.
Maybe the phantom upgrades are back. At the big ATL DO shortly after the merger both Jeff R and Bob S (the WorldPerks manager who started them) said that was a possibility
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mot29

Maybe the phantom upgrades are back. At the big ATL DO shortly after the merger both Jeff R and Bob S (the WorldPerks manager who started them) said that was a possibility
This would really be against DL and their FCM model. However it wouldn't be the 1st, nor the last time they did something opposite of their norm.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Maybe they needed your seat to accommodate a family sitting together or something and since you are DM decided to just upgrade you on a very empty flight.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Maybe they needed your seat to accommodate a family sitting together or something and since you are DM decided to just upgrade you on a very empty flight.
According to the KLM seat map there were only 2 seats taken in the first four rows of the center section of Economy Comfort at about 8 hours out (me and somebody else). Yes, I know seat maps are not definitive but that is an empty flight
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
Seems very atypical for a flight to go with so many empty seats. Your status is probably what triggered your upgrade. It is a small or negligible cost to DL to please a Diamond who will remember that experience for years to come and therefore feed DL the business.

Closest I came to an OpUp was LAX-SYD about 10 years ago. I jokingly asked upon checking into the SkyClub about "any space up front?" Desk Agent said it actually looked possible and to stay within sight of the desk while in the club because economy was full and there were standbys they needed to clear. I was Gold at the time and ended up not getting the upgrade, but was surprised at what looked like a chance to spend 15 hours in the pointy end rather than with the hoi polloi.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by GlobeTrttr83
Seems very atypical for a flight to go with so many empty seats. Your status is probably what triggered your upgrade. It is a small or negligible cost to DL to please a Diamond who will remember that experience for years to come and therefore feed DL the business.
They had light loads as well last month. Lots of open seats. On LAX-AMS counted 14 empty seats in D1, 12 NRSA's who got upgraded in the end. Would have expected some better loads on those segments (the KLM one seems always full)
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Grouchy
They had light loads as well last month. Lots of open seats. On LAX-AMS counted 14 empty seats in D1, 12 NRSA's who got upgraded in the end. Would have expected some better loads on those segments (the KLM one seems always full)

I have to assume it's a time of year/week thing. There's plenty of opportunity to downgauge this route (A330->767 and.. 747->pretty much anything else) so would assume this would be done if it was needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.