FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
So out of curiosity, is it rude for an elite that has status and thus access to preferred seats to book their entire party into the preferred seats? Of course DL limits C+ to only 1 companion so one can't really get more than that without paying for it. But if I had a group of 3, 4, or more all traveling under my name, would it be rude of me to book, say, the entire exit row if it's labeled as "preferred"?
What? No, you misundertand I think.

It's rude if you board during Premium or SkyPriority time and sneak a whole bunch of people with you who do not, on their own, have that same boarding rank.

If you actually book them into Comfort Plus or preferred seating, their tickets will already have improved boarding zones. Sky Priority for the Comfort Plus people for example. If their seat is in C+ you aren't sneaking them in, it's a part of their seat already.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by marcworld
What? No, you misundertand I think.

It's rude if you board during Premium or SkyPriority time and sneak a whole bunch of people with you who do not, on their own, have that same boarding rank.

If you actually book them into Comfort Plus or preferred seating, their tickets will already have improved boarding zones. Sky Priority for the Comfort Plus people for example. If their seat is in C+ you aren't sneaking them in, it's a part of their seat already.
Preferred seats don’t come with a higher zone. C+ is limited to one companion anyway (unless paying for it). But one can only select preferred seats if an elite or on the same reservation as an elite.
So I ask again: if it’s rude to have others in my party board with me based on my status, is it rude to also select preferred seats for them when they otherwise wouldn’t be entitled to access preferred seating (such as the exit row).
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:10 pm

Smells like troll in here

It's not rude to ask for favors and see if you can get people seated nicely

But when it's time to board, you each board according to whatever seat you are assigned and whatever zone that comes with. Except for the occasional +1.

Premium does not include the Midas touch. +3 or +4 is obnoxious.

Last edited by flyerUSA; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:15 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle

Preferred seats don’t come with a higher zone. C+ is limited to one companion anyway (unless paying for it). But one can only select preferred seats if an elite or on the same reservation as an elite.
So I ask again: if it’s rude to have others in my party board with me based on my status, is it rude to also select preferred seats for them when they otherwise wouldn’t be entitled to access preferred seating (such as the exit row).
It’s definitely not rude to have companions board with their traveling medallions (this isn’t WN) and if all of the companions were on the same PNR, they would all have the medallions boarding zone on their BP. If someone is flying with me on a different PNE, I will always have them board with me.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Smells like troll in here

But when it's time to board, you each board according to whatever seat you are assigned and whatever zone that comes with. Except for the occasional +1.

Premium does not include the Midas touch. +3 or +4 is obnoxious.
You not liking the answer/response isn’t “trolling”. While an elite is limited on the number of companions they can upgrade to either F or C+ complimentary (1 companion), an elite is not limited on the number of companions they can select preferred seats for (well, I guess they’d be limited to 9 or 10 or whatever the limit is they could book on single PNR). So if I have a party of 3 or more, though I could not put all of us in C+, I could select preferred seats for all of us. This includes the exit row on many aircraft types. That means if I am traveling with say, 5 others on the same PNR who otherwise meet age and mobility requirements for the exit row, I could book half of the exit row seats for myself and my companions on a 737-800 - seats that if they were non-elites, they would not be able to select themselves. Thus the question remains: if you’re saying that non-elites shouldn’t piggyback off the status of another for boarding - or rather than elites shouldn’t allow more than one companion to piggyback off their status for hoarding and that to otherwise do so is selfish, I’m asking if you think elites should also not select exit rows and such for their companions who otherwise would not be entitled to select such seats in that this is also “selfish”.

See if you can answer that without reverting to calling those who don’t agree with you “trolls”.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:34 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:33 pm

Very clearly already answered your question

Why people get so bent on here is beyond me

Go outside, get some air.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very clearly already answered your question

Why people get so bent on here is beyond me

Go outside, get some air.
You didn't answer the question because you don't even know what you're talking about:
When one member on the PNR is elite, getting multiple other companions seated in Preferred seating is not a "favor". Elites can put their entire party on that PNR into preferred seating. That's how the benefit is published. This is different than C+ and F upgrades in which an elite can only upgrade 1 companion. If you refuse to wise up on program rules once corrected, it is you who is trolling the forum (despite your accusations of trolling to others) by purposely continuing to post wrong information and remain ignorant just to try to defend your position. You haven't answered the question because you're trying to use false information and a false premise to answer the question, rather than answering the question with the facts as the program rules are written. Answer the question as the facts and rules of the program are written: if you view multiple companions "piggy-backing" off the status of an elite to board with priority as poor etiquette, do you also believe it's poor etiquette for an elite to put multiple (more than 1) companion in preferred seats as well? That's a simple yes or no question.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by lost_perspicacity
I'd be much more inclined to keep a bag under my seat if the airlines didn't keep cramming seats closer and closer together.

I've noticed at some non-US airports check in staff will put a special tag on the "personal item" containing instructions that it must be stored under a seat. I just deposit it in the first trash can I see and stow it overhead, since in my experience, OHBs are rarely full on international flights.
Indeed - airlines have created the situation where the space under the seat in front of one, has become essential as passenger space vs. baggage. I have zero problem whatsoever placing my backpack above me, right next to my roller bag and reserving the under seat space for my feet as flex room.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FF524
Indeed - airlines have created the situation where the space under the seat in front of one, has become essential as passenger space vs. baggage. I have zero problem whatsoever placing my backpack above me, right next to my roller bag and reserving the under seat space for my feet as flex room.
And on top of that, they've also created the issue of boarding chaos and making many passengers want to board as early as possible to secure OH bin space because of charging for checked bags. This, combined with wanting to put bags in the OH bin to make Y seating a little more tolerable makes overhead bin space a premium commodity. I do realize the issue did still exist prior to checked-bag fees as many people still brought roll-a-board sized carryons rather than checking and Y seat pitch has been tight the past couple decades, but the problem certainly grew upon the implementation of bag fees. But I guess the problem of limited OH bin space and the fight for bin space is outweighed by baggage fees and it's offset by enabling the airline to monetize priority boarding or sell branded Credit Cards that come with "Priority" boarding, from which the fees help line the airline's pockets.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:02 pm

So out of curiosity, is it rude for an elite that has status and thus access to preferred seats to book their entire party into the preferred seats? Of course DL limits C+ to only 1 companion so one can't really get more than that without paying for it. But if I had a group of 3, 4, or more all traveling under my name, would it be rude of me to book, say, the entire exit row if it's labeled as "preferred"?
You didn't answer the question because you don't even know what you're talking about:

When one member on the PNR is elite, getting multiple other companions seated in Preferred seating is not a "favor". Elites can put their entire party on that PNR into preferred seating. That's how the benefit is published. This is different than C+ and F upgrades in which an elite can only upgrade 1 companion. If you refuse to wise up on program rules once corrected, it is you who is trolling the forum (despite your accusations of trolling to others) by purposely continuing to post wrong information and remain ignorant just to try to defend your position. You haven't answered the question because you're trying to use false information and a false premise to answer the question, rather than answering the question with the facts as the program rules are written. Answer the question as the facts and rules of the program are written: if you view multiple companions "piggy-backing" off the status of an elite to board with priority as poor etiquette, do you also believe it's poor etiquette for an elite to put multiple (more than 1) companion in preferred seats as well? That's a simple yes or no question.
You are malfunctioning.

The original question - read up, friend - is:
"Regarding this boarding order, what is the proper etiquette and DL policy for having family members board with the family member of the highest priority? (when on different PNRs)."

WHEN ON DIFFERENT PNRS.

You are ranting about people on the SAME PNR.

Like I suggested prior, go do something else with your time, it will be healthy for you. Mwah.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:04 pm

You are malfunctioning.

"Regarding this boarding order, what is the proper etiquette and DL policy for having family members board with the family member of the highest priority? (when on different PNRs)."

WHEN ON DIFFERENT PNRS.

Like I suggested prior, go do something else with your time, it will be healthy for you. Mwah.
And, btw, if you are kind and polite and discreet and not demanding about it, it is very possible to get loved ones on DIFFERENT PNRs into nice seats. I've done it many times. And it surely is a favor that I am grateful for.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are malfunctioning.

WHEN ON DIFFERENT PNRS.

If you're worried about whether a family traveling together boarding with an elite is on the same PNR or different PNRs and that being the factor on whether or not they should board together or not, you're the one who needs to go do something more healthy with your time. Obviously plenty of people travel on separate PNRs from their companions for plenty of valid reasons. Perhaps one ticket is booked for the Medallion for work through their company and the family is accompanying along on the trip but on a separate reservation for obvious reasons. Or perhaps a Medallion bought a cash ticket for themselves and used miles or a voucher for their family/companions which then puts them on separate tickets. Thankfully GAs and DL apply a little more common sense then you are right now when it comes to benefits across the entire travel experience when it comes to elites traveling on separate PNRs from their companions. When it comes to boarding, you, as a bystander, unless you see the groups individual boarding passes, have no way of knowing whether that group or family boarding with an elite is all on one PNR or not. and if you're actually trying to do this, again, take your own advice and go do something more healthy with your time.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:24 pm

If you're worried about whether a family traveling together boarding with an elite is on the same PNR or different PNRs and that being the factor on whether or not they should board together or not, you're the one who needs to go do something more healthy with your time. Obviously plenty of people travel on separate PNRs from their companions for plenty of valid reasons. Perhaps one ticket is booked for the Medallion for work through their company and the family is accompanying along on the trip but on a separate reservation for obvious reasons. Or perhaps a Medallion bought a cash ticket for themselves and used miles or a voucher for their family/companions which then puts them on separate tickets. Thankfully GAs and DL apply a little more common sense then you are right now when it comes to benefits across the entire travel experience. When it comes to boarding, you, as a bystander, unless you see the groups individual tickets, have no way of knowing whether that group or family boarding with an elite is all on one PNR or not. and if you're actually trying to do this, again, take your own advice and go do something more healthy with your time.
This pedantic nonsense, my god

I'm getting a massage now

Much love to the rest of you FT'ers
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Delta changing boarding order January 23rd

Looks like Delta in changing their boarding process on January 23rd. I haven't flown Delta lately, but it looks like sky priority is being shuffled after Comfort Plus.

These images came from an email sent directly to myself as a Plat.

Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Announced awhile ago. Existing thread --

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.