Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serfty
Print Wikipost

New Delta Boarding Process Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by tonyrocks922
Having to board after the 20 people in C+ instead if with them is a "gigantic, unmitigated 'F*ck You'"?

Can you expand on this? I'm not seeing it.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
My personal takeaway from this is that it's the preamble to PMs losing their C+ at booking "upgrade" benefit, which jives with the new boarding position and DL's repeatedly stated goal of monetizing their seats to the n'th degree. Further supporting is the "new and improved" opportunity to use your miles for seat upgrades to C+ or F.

We will see...
Thinking this as well. Otherwise not much is lost to Plats.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The Situation
How come nobody has mentioned priority boarding for Seahawks fans in SEA? Don't forget about their spot in the boarding process. Probably should add green on the chart for them
Depending on where it falls in the new hierarchy, 12Status could suddenly become very meaningful for unupgraded PM and GM passengers
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by JB1000
Most people can’t pay attention to when they are supposed to board according to their boarding pass so adding in another two layers is supposed to help this?

Also, for first class, boarding LAST would actually be better. If I’m not carrying on then I wait as long as possible. If I have a carry on it’s another story to make sure I get the overhead space.
F last? Enjoy your stay in the tunnel.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
They already have video of the new boarding process in action (some strong language so be advised):

Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by JB1000
...Also, for first class ... (if) I’m not carrying on then I wait as long as possible. If I have a carry on it’s another story to make sure I get the overhead space.
bingo ... last Sunday night SEA-JFK
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by EricThe Actor
Wow where does your emotional support peacock go?
I answered a question about why someone may want to board early as opposed to waiting towards the end. At my height, even C+ and FC seat pitch is pretty tight and I highly value the space under the seat in front of me to stretch my legs as much as possible. It’s even worse if I get stuck in a regular Y seat. But I still get to board before DMs, so this new policy won’t negatively effect me for now, even if I can recognize that this is a poor policy for other PMs. Have a nice day.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by DCP2016
They already have video of the new boarding process in action (some strong language so be advised):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGe265pwvU

YES - in case you missed it, we have a copy of the marketing presentation showing how the boarding works. Gotta watch it.
Renes Points and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
A new idea

I think the airlines should just board people based on price paid, starting with the highest priced ticket. They could line them up at the gate using the value printed on the passengers’ boarding passes. The overhead monitors could count down the dollar amounts like a game show, appealing to the young hip gamers that marketers seem to covet these days. Connecting on a $17,000 ticket to SYD in D1, step to the front! El cheapo ticket purchased from your cousin’s home based travel agency, you have time to visit the rest room and still wait to board.

* mileage award tickets could be assigned the value of one cent per mile, allowing all FT know-it-all’s to proclaim once and for all that DL really did always intend to value miles at one cent a piece.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta, United
The biggest issue with named boarding groups/zones is that the overwhelming majority of PAX do not know what the ordering is supposed to be. So when boarding starts they are just going to crowd around the gate. The boarding groups/zones need to be SIMPLE. A,B,C,D,E, etc, or 1,2,3,4,5, etc. This new process is just a waste of time and money.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
And another indication that PM is going to start getting marginalized.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by sdix
I actually don't mind this change. As a Plat who buys or is upgraded into D1 or F I can see where Plats might be upset but generally speaking I wonder how many Plats are not in C+ or F? Yes I know there's the last minute purchase but how many per flight I wonder? 1? 2?

To me the Priority line was getting completely out of hand with half the plane in it. This at least gives some sanity to the process.
I guess this is basically where I stand on it. On the surface, I am upset because I am a platinum and am annoyed that I technically have had benefits taken away.

Then I objectively looked at the situation and realized that I only flew main cabin twice this year (and have had 0 upgrades, so 100% of the time paid C+ or FC). Hence, I really won't be affected at all.

It puts a negative taste in my mouth about how Delta values me, but I also realize my spending (about $20k) is peanuts compared to many and that in reality I won't be affected at all since I control my travel as an exec. and can always choose to travel in C+ or FC.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
IMO this will make gate lice worse. Pissed off PM/GM's will want to get on as soon as they can.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Bellevue Lifetime Premiere Mega Elite Supreme
We’re all just ham sammiches complaining about what condiment they use before devouring us.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier

Dare I say it, but I almost *enjoy* the boarding process on WN since it is (1) logical (2) self-policing (3) orderly and (4) usually pretty fast. Plus I get to decide on the fly what is important to me that day -- aisle, window, closest to the front regardless of seat, guarantee of OHB space, etc. And if I can't deal with the possible indignity of a B or C boarding card, I can just buy my way out of it for $15 or $20 a few days in advance with EBCI.
Except it's not self policing. I would say almost half of people skip the line and conceal their boarding position. I always call one or two but then I get tired of confrontation. If I stay next to number 40, it's guaranteed there are at least 15 geezers with 40+ position in front of me. Why I'm forced into position of confrontation in order to get fair access?

Also, It's more like $45+ for gate upgrade. Any major city EB will get you mid-B aka no Exit rows. What if I want extra legroom or come to gate a bit late?

Southwest is extremely divisive. It's great for non-frequent fliers, families and below average sized people.

Even Delta's colorblind & foreign people hostile (there is no way to explain to non-english speaker the order of SKY+/PREM-/Zone 3 salad) is less divisive than Southwest.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by vj_rama
I definitely do not feel bad for the "elite" frequent flyers.

I am fortunate to have a relatively normal job and am blessed to be able to travel in premium cabins with my family on the few vacations I get. It's disturbing to me how often people look shocked when we all sit down in first class section - usually because they think we are in the wrong place.

Note to all you angry "elite" flyers - chill out. It's not your plane and not your company. I know it sucks to wait a while to board a plane, but you'll just have to get used to it. The whole concept of rewarding people with "status" for flying coach all the time is silly. It actually goes to people's head and makes them crazy. If i fly a few times a year and am able to afford first, business, or even comfort plus, then tough luck. I pay more money than you so I get to board before you with your silly little medallion card.

Referring to other travellers as "gate lice" sums up how out of touch all of you are. We are all consumers of the same product. Those that pay more get treated better - bottom line.

Take your medallion status and shove it you know where.
Well, except you don't really pay more than FF members. Your paid First fare twice a year is less profit for Delta than frequent fliers 50-100 segments in Y.
What you don't understand is that people work on the road. It's often not their choice. Every 30 minutes lost per day in baggage claim or to be 10 minutes early at the gate due to Byzantine boarding accumulates to days or weeks of lost time per year. You're not with your kids for a week, because Delta cannot board a plane under 45 minutes.

They couldn't care less about you and Sally and wifey, you can come first on the plane, it doesn't matter. They are "crazy" because another byzantine boondoggle is adding 5,10,15 minutes to their workflow, resulting in a lost week over those 100 segments.

Last edited by danielSuper; Dec 12, 2018 at 1:18 am Reason: typos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.