Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Subpar experience from West Coast to HI

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Subpar experience from West Coast to HI

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ethernal
United Domestic configuration - despite being recently refurbed (2016/2017), this 777 has cramped 8-abreast lieflats that were literally ripped out of old planes and re-installed on these - and there are only 28 of them reflecting the high price sensitive : luxury traveler ratio on Hawaii routes. Compare this to United's new international configuration with 50 very nice Polaris seats (refurbs started late last year).

Delta's old domestic 767-300 that used to be a staple on ATL->ANC and East Coast/Midwest to Hawaii flights.

I'm not sure what American has used historically.
AA uses A321 and at least in past 757s.

AS for DL domestic 767, as for HI routes, it was only used on west coast to HI routes. It hasn't been on anything farther than SLC on HI routes in ages.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AA uses A321 and at least in past 757s.

AS for DL domestic 767, as for HI routes, it was only used on west coast to HI routes. It hasn't been on anything farther than SLC on HI routes in ages.
Ages is a strong word.. as recently as 5 years ago perhaps? I wouldn't call that ancient history. And I know it got subbed in on occasion (much to the chagrin of people that had booked lie flats).

And I'm talking about East Coast to Hawaii. A321s and 757s can't make the East Coast trip. Obviously everyone flying West Coast uses a form of their domestic planes (either smaller 737s, A321s, or 757s).
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Ages is a strong word.. as recently as 5 years ago perhaps? I wouldn't call that ancient history. And I know it got subbed in on occasion (much to the chagrin of people that had booked lie flats).

And I'm talking about East Coast to Hawaii. A321s and 757s can't make the East Coast trip. Obviously everyone flying West Coast uses a form of their domestic planes (either smaller 737s, A321s, or 757s).
Furthest east AA flies is DFW.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by audidudi
Essentially the same? Well I suppose it's similar in that A330s and B772s are utilized, but it's definitely not a Delta One soft product!
That is how it is marketed and represented to customers though, as "Delta One".
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:50 pm

Ahh TIL. Looks like they fly that route with a 777. In theory they might be able to swing it with a 757 but would be cutting it close, especially with lack of diversion points.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
And from DFW AA has always used (at least for last 10+ years) 767s most of the time, sometimes 777s. Comparable hard product to DL 767s, superior to DL's aged 777s.

AA has never used A321s or 757s on the two daily HNL-DFW flights (single-aisle aircraft are only used from LAX). It's always been 767s and sometimes 777s subbed in (during higher traffic times). Hard product on those is very good now, though the HNL routes were some of the last to get the refurbished planes, and were running the really ancient angled lie-flats, with the cabin and signage reminiscent of the old movie "Airplane!", until not too long ago.

While from PHX AA (former US) has now recently used the rather nice US A330s, but earlier was using single-aisle aircraft.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
And from DFW AA has always used (at least for last 10+ years) 767s most of the time, sometimes 777s. Comparable hard product to DL 767s, superior to DL's aged 777s.
We're getting real off topic here, but this order implies that Delta's 767 D1 is better than DL's 777 D1 ?

I've only flown the 777 D1 once but I found it to be quite decent - no A330 but worlds better than the 767.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by audidudi
Essentially the same? Well I suppose it's similar in that A330s and B772s are utilized, but it's definitely not a Delta One soft product! But still a nice ride nonetheless! You can add SLC to the departures list also.

In what way is this not a Delta One soft product? The meals might be slightly downgraded but otherwise it's Delta One, and is advertised as such.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:31 pm

We're getting real off topic here, but this order implies that Delta's 767 D1 is better than DL's 777 D1 ?

I've only flown the 777 D1 once but I found it to be quite decent - no A330 but worlds better than the 767.
It sure is. The 777s (prior to refurb) reverse herringbone seats are some of the worst lie-flats of any airline. Very tight. Little storage. No table to put things on while getting out of seat (no way to get out unless the tray is collected by FAs, which always takes a painfully long time on DL). The seats break all the time. Can't watch IFE during take off and landing. And so on..

But of course it's largely a matter of personal preference.

Can't speak about the so-called "suite" 777s after refurb, though, and may be that is what you are comparing it against.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
In what way is this not a Delta One soft product? The meals might be slightly downgraded but otherwise it's Delta One, and is advertised as such.
Other than the nicer bedding, aren't the meals pretty much the only difference? So I think it's fair to say that the soft product isn't International J equivalent.

That said, I really only pay attention to the hard product and (to a far lesser extent) the bedding - so to me it is the same. Everything else is gravy (I never even open the amenity kits and food is just food). But others who care about food for some reason will say it is not a true D1 experience.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
It sure is. The 777s (prior to refurb) reverse herringbone seats are some of the worst lie-flats of any airline. Very tight. Little storage. No table to put things on while getting out of seat (no way to get out unless the tray is collected by FAs, which always takes a painfully long time on DL). The seats break all the time. Can't watch IFE during take off and landing. And so on..

But of course it's largely a matter of personal preference.

Can't speak about the so-called "suite" 777s after refurb, though, and may be that is what you are comparing it against.
Fair enough. They aren't great, but I found them better than the 767s - I can't lie flat on my back or stomach on a 767 but I can with the 777. Not completely unrelated, the "cubbyhole" for feet are also much larger. I'm 6' 4" with broad shoulders so may be biased. I don't care about the storage or IFE so that may be a difference there.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Other than the nicer bedding, aren't the meals pretty much the only difference? So I think it's fair to say that the soft product isn't International J equivalent.

That said, I really only pay attention to the hard product and (to a far lesser extent) the bedding - so to me it is the same. Everything else is gravy (I never even open the amenity kits and food is just food). But others who care about food for some reason will say it is not a true D1 experience.

Well, there is also Sky Club access, amenity kits, noise reducing headphones, and it's not like the meals are just standard domestic F. They do serve upgraded meals, including a pre-arrival meal.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

But others who care about food for some reason will say it is not a true D1 experience.
Same as other "Delta One" routes, it is true to the name in that all (save for dessert) comes on one tray.

Since it became "D1" the addition is that now there is a cheese plate option for dessert, and that the ice cream toppings are back, that were gone for a while until recently. With those added in now, it is same as int'l "D1" service.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Well, there is also Sky Club access, amenity kits, noise reducing headphones, and it's not like the meals are just standard domestic F. They do serve upgraded meals, including a pre-arrival meal.
True, but none of those matter unless you're an infrequent traveler - elites have SkyClub access regardless of cabin and if you're a frequent flyer you'll usually have your own (better) eyemask, earplugs, and headphones if you care about that sort of thing.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
West Coast to Hawaii is shorter than some transcons. i.e. SFO - HNL is shorter than SFO - JFK. I guess living on the West Coast, I don't see flying to Hawaii as all that special. It's just a long flight, but you end up at a nice beach instead.
vbjd1111 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.