Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skipping last segment with checked bags on DL flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skipping last segment with checked bags on DL flight

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's still an international flight regardless of where you and your bags clear. Domestic itineraries (generally) don't allow for layovers longer than 4 hours.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
It's still an international flight regardless of where you and your bags clear. Domestic itineraries (generally) don't allow for layovers longer than 4 hours.

So would the old rules still apply? Is it an automated system or does the agent have to manually check it thru to JFK
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If over 6 but under 12 system will check through all the way. However as long as its,over 6 between flights you can ask it be short checked. Anything over 12 system will automatically short check.
briti1 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by zagguru
Is there a current set of rules?

Since all bags are pre-cleared at NAS, does this technically not apply under "international contract of carriage"?
So would the old rules still apply? Is it an automated system or does the agent have to manually check it thru to JFK
What old rules are you referring to?

There is one set of rules that apply to your trip: the International CoC.

The system will FORCE you to pick up your bags at JFK because you have an 18 hour connection.

In my experience, the system won't even really recognize this as a connection - it will show up in the app as two separate segments and all they will be worried about on your day of travel from NAS is NAS-JFK.

You have nothing to worry about. Buy it now. And as Often1 says, watch your JFK-WAS flight the following day and if delays etc occur, follow up with them.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What old rules are you referring to?

There is one set of rules that apply to your trip: the International CoC.

The system will FORCE you to pick up your bags at JFK because you have an 18 hour connection.

In my experience, the system won't even really recognize this as a connection - it will show up in the app as two separate segments and all they will be worried about on your day of travel from NAS is NAS-JFK.

You have nothing to worry about. Buy it now. And as Often1 says, watch your JFK-WAS flight the following day and if delays etc occur, follow up with them.
you are right. On my delta it shows just NAS-JFK. When I open up the details then it shows the second segment as well.

Thanks for all your help.
This may be pushing it, but what’s the chance i’ll be able to change the date of the second segment so that I can take it on a future date (months later)?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
The one thing to be aware of.... If the NAS-JFK flight goes south, they may reroute you to your final destination (IAD) via somethere else, like ATL.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:43 pm

you are right. On my delta it shows just NAS-JFK. When I open up the details then it shows the second segment as well.

Thanks for all your help.
This may be pushing it, but what’s the chance i’ll be able to change the date of the second segment so that I can take it on a future date (months later)?
You are welcome. There is a less than 0 % chance you can change the second segment months later. Maybe a day or two later at max - with a qualifying schedule change or IRROP - but otherwise Delta will absolutely not let you violate the "no stopovers" part of the fare rule to fly it that much later (and requesting this without IRROPs will draw attention to what you were doing in the first place)

Originally Posted by zrs70
The one thing to be aware of.... If the NAS-JFK flight goes south, they may reroute you to your final destination (IAD) via somethere else, like ATL.
It is good to be aware of it. But even if DL's auto VIPER system rebooks you - you can always call and make a single change from a qualifying IRROP event. You don't just have to accept what they rebook you on.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
You are welcome. There is a less than 0 % chance you can change the second segment months later. Maybe a day or two later at max - with a qualifying schedule change or IRROP - but otherwise Delta will absolutely not let you violate the "no stopovers" part of the fare rule to fly it that much later (and requesting this without IRROPs will draw attention to what you were doing in the first place)

It is good to be aware of it. But even if DL's auto VIPER system rebooks you - you can always call and make a single change from a qualifying IRROP event. You don't just have to accept what they rebook you on.
IRROPS isn't limited to one change. The limitation is for advance schedule changes.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
IRROPS isn't limited to one change. The limitation is for advance schedule changes.
Fair enough. My point is, if there is an IRROP event and you are automatically rebooked, you don't have to accept the automatic rebooking and can still modify it to your preferences.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

- connection >12 hours = you must collect your bags
Still giving my stink eye to that Delta agent who took my bags as a hostage during my 23hr 45min layover in CDG on my JFK-(DL)-CDG-(AF)-DEL flight.

It took me two days to find my bag after that.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by samwise6222
Still giving my stink eye to that Delta agent who took my bags as a hostage during my 23hr 45min layover in CDG on my JFK-(DL)-CDG-(AF)-DEL flight.

It took me two days to find my bag after that.
CDG is awful for bags

However, you can always request to retrieve your bag upon landing. I have done it in AMS no problem, and would hope CDG would be similar (but I try to avoid as much as possible)

Once an agent and Red Coat messed up and wouldn't let me check to connecting point on a greater than 6 hour, international connection. I was able to get the bag retrieved in SLC on a connection (by speaking to a SLC Red Coat as soon as I deplaned), and they grabbed the bag and retagged it.

The original station got in touch and apologized for their employees not knowing and offered miles. Always a pain to have to quote the pg # of their CoC to have them follow a contract they wrote!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
I'm hesitant to make a new post with such a similar situation...

Wife and I are flying SJC - LAX - PPT on DL with the LAX - PPT leg codeshare on AF. On the return, I'd like to skip the final leg. Layover at LAX is 2hrs. The difference it seems with our situation is that PPT doesn't have the preclearance that NAS does (as here), so we'd conceivably be able to collect a checked bag after clearing customs at LAX, rip off the luggage tag, and exit the airport.

But I don't want to miss something. Any comments/thoughts are appreciated. Finally, any reason to go into the app and cancel the final leg or similar?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by elsenor

Wife and I are flying SJC - LAX - PPT on DL with the LAX - PPT leg codeshare on AF. On the return, I'd like to skip the final leg. Layover at LAX is 2hrs. The difference it seems with our situation is that PPT doesn't have the preclearance that NAS does (as here), so we'd conceivably be able to collect a checked bag after clearing customs at LAX, rip off the luggage tag, and exit the airport.

But I don't want to miss something. Any comments/thoughts are appreciated. Finally, any reason to go into the app and cancel the final leg or similar?
AS long as don't do it regularly, no issues.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:31 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by elsenor

Don't cancel the final leg. There's always the possibility it gets canceled and you can collect a partial refund.

The main caveat when doing this is that you could run into IRROPS and get re-routed to a different connection point. That seems like an extremely unlikely possibility in this case, so you should be fine.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AS long as don't do it regularly, no issues.
Originally Posted by pvn
Don't cancel the final leg. There's always the possibility it gets canceled and you can collect a partial refund.

The main caveat when doing this is that you could run into IRROPS and get re-routed to a different connection point. That seems like an extremely unlikely possibility in this case, so you should be fine.
Thank you. Haven't done it before and don't envision doing it in the immediate future (this is a bit of a one-off since home airport is SAN but found an extremely good deal for SJC - PPT; if only I could eliminate the SJC - LAX legs without botching the whole scenario....).
I'll be sure to leave the final leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.