Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does this flight exist?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kaasschaaf
Sometimes airlines fly ghost flights because otherwise they'll lose their slot if they don't use it. Slots are expensive. Not sure if this is the case here but it's interesting how airline business works.
If you are referring to BDL and CLE, no those airports are not slot controlled and airlines do not need to purchase slot rights for flights. Only DCA, LGA, and JFK are slot controlled in the US.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...dministration/
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
CVG-CDG survived the general dehubbing because of cargo- lots of plane parts that need to go from there to France.

While Pellston itself it tiny, the very tip of the northern lower peninsula has enough people to justify EAS service and it's nearly a two hour drive to Traverse City or Alpena for an alternate scheduled air service airport. (The slightly closest commercial option to there involves crossing the border to pick up an Air Canada and such flight out of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario)
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO; DL GLD
Originally Posted by dEagleS
From what I can tell, Pellston has an essential air service subsidy, and it requires twice a day departure to the DTW hub. One of those departures has the aircraft originate at APN airport (nearby) at 5:05am, with only a 25 min stop picking up passengers in PLN, before arriving to DTW. This also allows twice a day departure from APN airport (albeit one with a brief stop in PLN). The other flight in the afternoon is DTW-PLN-DTW.

Anyway, a very interesting route, since Pellston has only a population of 800 people!
I take the DTW-PLN flight about a dozen times in the summer. It's full almost every time and runs 3x a day then. Pellston serves as an easy gateway to a lot of summer vacation towns like Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Mackinac Island, as well as the Upper Peninsula. In winter, there are two ski mountains that people will go to, Boyne Highlands and Nubb's Nobb
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by beachmouse
CVG-CDG survived the general dehubbing because of cargo- lots of plane parts that need to go from there to France.

While Pellston itself it tiny, the very tip of the northern lower peninsula has enough people to justify EAS service and it's nearly a two hour drive to Traverse City or Alpena for an alternate scheduled air service airport. (The slightly closest commercial option to there involves crossing the border to pick up an Air Canada and such flight out of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario)
The CVG-CDG flight also routinely sells out. It's one of DL's best-performing TATL flights.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Originally Posted by Kent
I take the DTW-PLN flight about a dozen times in the summer. It's full almost every time and runs 3x a day then. Pellston serves as an easy gateway to a lot of summer vacation towns like Petoskey, Harbor Springs, Mackinac Island, as well as the Upper Peninsula. In winter, there are two ski mountains that people will go to, Boyne Highlands and Nubb's Nobb
I think the intrigue of the original commentor was surrounding the APN-PLN flight itself, not DTW-PLN. But your point is noted
Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:50 pm

I think the intrigue of the original commentor was surrounding the APN-PLN flight itself, not DTW-PLN. But your point is noted
Right. Anyways, the aircraft that does the APN-PLN leg in the morning overnights there as the final flight in the evening does DTW-PLN-APN. When I've been on it the most I've seen remain on the plane in Pellston is 6 people and the most I've seen when I've boarded the morning flight that has come into PLN from APN is 4,so I imagine there has to be a subsidy out of Alpena as well.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
I was just on the CLE-BDL flight last week and it was fairly full in both directions. As a Platinum, I appreciated the upgrade both ways but didn't clear either until gate. Surprising number of people for a once a day flight to two non-Delta hubs. I had business in Central Mass and avoid Logan whenever able so this worked out well for me.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Right. Anyways, the aircraft that does the APN-PLN leg in the morning overnights there as the final flight in the evening does DTW-PLN-APN. When I've been on it the most I've seen remain on the plane in Pellston is 6 people and the most I've seen when I've boarded the morning flight that has come into PLN from APN is 4,so I imagine there has to be a subsidy out of Alpena as well.
Have you seen anyone board at PLN, and disembark at APN? Or, board at APN, and disembark at PLN? That would be quite unique. You can, in fact, buy APN<>PLN as a standalone leg.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:03 pm

Have you seen anyone board at PLN, and disembark at APN? Or, board at APN, and disembark at PLN? That would be quite unique. You can, in fact, buy APN<>PLN as a standalone leg.
That's an interesting one. Not that I recall. Only so many FT'ers around that would do something like that.

Security always takes a while as all the tourists ignore the signs telling them to remove the fudge from their bags to be scanned separately. Apparently its consistency makes it appear similar to a plastic explosive when being x-ray'd.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
From what I can tell, Pellston has an essential air service subsidy, and it requires twice a day departure to the DTW hub. One of those departures has the aircraft originate at APN airport (nearby) at 5:05am, with only a 25 min stop picking up passengers in PLN, before arriving to DTW. This also allows twice a day departure from APN airport (albeit one with a brief stop in PLN). The other flight in the afternoon is DTW-PLN-DTW.

Anyway, a very interesting route, since Pellston has only a population of 800 people!
That little town has a bit more than that. University of Michigan owns and operates a research facility in that area; I think they teach there on a seasonal basis too. Not sure if that adds to DL's business, but EAS is probably the primary reason.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by WWads
DL has a corporate contract on this route. They picked it up after UA closed their CLE hub.
How many people could actually be flying it every day? 10? 20? I always ask this about CVG–CDG.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
My favorite random flight is the Alpena, MI to Pellston, MI.
Or vice versa. You can actually buy tickets for the flight between these two airports, both of which receive federal essential air subsidies. I asked the DGS manager at Pellston about this and he said a couple times a year someone buys a ticket for Pellston–Alpena, which requires them to call in TSA to man the checkpoint for a single passenger as they don't normally work the airport at night since there are no other departing flights.

I believe in the old Northwest days the flight from Sault Ste. Marie to Detroit (and vice versa?) stopped in Alpena too on some or all days.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:25 pm
Suspended

There is also an afternoon Detroit–Alpena–Detroit service.

Originally Posted by beachmouse

Actually, Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, is about 45-50 minutes away and has daily flights to Minneapolis and Detroit.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:26 pm
Suspended

The wait for bags in Pellston is normally at least half as long as the 45-minute flight from Detroit to Pellston.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There have been some intereesting "triangular" routes with DL and possibly PMNW. Fior example, between SYR and DTW, some are direct flights that stop at ROC or even BUF and similarly some ROC (or BUF?) flights to DTW are direct with a stop (no plane change) at SYR. These are generally mainline flights and AFAIK the RJ routes, such as ITH-DTW and vv, don't do the triangle.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.