Wiki Posts
Search

Why does this flight exist?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Why does this flight exist?

I fly out of Hartford CT (BDL) once a month or so and I've noticed that there's a daily CRJ-900 nonstop from BDL to Cleveland. Why does this exist? There's a Detroit flight every morning too so they're not trying to reduce hub traffic. Out of every random city pair to go point-to-point on instead of hub-and-spoke, they picked Hartford and Cleveland? How many other flights are there like this?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
DL has a corporate contract on this route. They picked it up after UA closed their CLE hub.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doesn't take much to make money off a micro-haul on a -900. The real question is finding an aircraft with the downtime to perform the route. Put the three of them together and it's an easy call.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Isn't the BDL aand DTW route seasonal?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Isn't the BDL aand DTW route seasonal?
BDL-DTW definitely isn't seasonal. The frequency might vary slightly based upon the time of year, but it operates year-round.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by just_wondering
I fly out of Hartford CT (BDL) once a month or so and I've noticed that there's a daily CRJ-900 nonstop from BDL to Cleveland. Why does this exist? There's a Detroit flight every morning too so they're not trying to reduce hub traffic. Out of every random city pair to go point-to-point on instead of hub-and-spoke, they picked Hartford and Cleveland? How many other flights are there like this?
There are a couple of oddball ones from DCA too. LEX for one. And Omaha too, I believe.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by koreanair720
There are a couple of oddball ones from DCA too. LEX for one. And Omaha too, I believe.
Yeah those DCA flights are inflexible slots that Republic holds. They've chosen to market them through DL.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by WWads
Yeah those DCA flights are inflexible slots that Republic holds. They've chosen to market them through DL.
That's so interesting. Why would they not choose to market via AA, which has the advantage of the hub?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF
That's so interesting. Why would they not choose to market via AA, which has the advantage of the hub?
Maybe because AA has a hub, and probably didn't have much need for those flights because of it, they were not interested in paying Republic as much as DL was for the route slots.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
My favorite random flight is the Alpena, MI to Pellston, MI.
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1MM
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
My favorite random flight is the Alpena, MI to Pellston, MI.
From what I can tell, Pellston has an essential air service subsidy, and it requires twice a day departure to the DTW hub. One of those departures has the aircraft originate at APN airport (nearby) at 5:05am, with only a 25 min stop picking up passengers in PLN, before arriving to DTW. This also allows twice a day departure from APN airport (albeit one with a brief stop in PLN). The other flight in the afternoon is DTW-PLN-DTW.

Anyway, a very interesting route, since Pellston has only a population of 800 people!
Air Houston likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SamOF
Possibly AA couldn't get merger with US approved if all those flights got counted as AA .
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum
Sometimes airlines fly ghost flights because otherwise they'll lose their slot if they don't use it. Slots are expensive. Not sure if this is the case here but it's interesting how airline business works.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by just_wondering
I fly out of Hartford CT (BDL) once a month or so and I've noticed that there's a daily CRJ-900 nonstop from BDL to Cleveland. Why does this exist?
I can't remember where I saw this cliche but I'll offer it:

What makes a plane fly? Money!
strickerj likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:44 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Why can't we get a ghost flight from GSP to MSP or SLC? Come on Delta you listening!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.