Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Upgrades on DL Metal when booked on a AF/KL/VS Codeshare Flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.

I have a domestic flight booked, DL metal but with a VS flight number.

I requested to go on the C+/F UG list. The response from DL via Twitter is I can't, as it's not on DL ticket stock.

Is that right?

Thanks
Old Sep 1, 2017, 5:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rpjepson
I have a domestic flight booked, DL metal but with a VS flight number.

I requested to go on the C+/F UG list. The response from DL via Twitter is I can't, as it's not on DL ticket stock.

Is that right?

Thanks
Completely right. When I have AF-stock, AF flight number operated by DL, I cannot be added to the Upgrade list until check-in.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond
No Medallion Upgrade when on AF Ticket

I am Plat and will be flying PVR-ATL-CDG-BCN with the first flight on DL. However ticket is on AirFrance stock. Delta res says I can't request comp upgrade until I get to airport because their system has no way to enter an upgrade request if tkt not purchased on Delta. Agt says she also checked with supervisor and help desk.

Has this happened to anyone before? I intentionally chose itin with first flight on DL so I could get an upgrade so I'm not happy about this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by msp_flyer
I am Plat and will be flying PVR-ATL-CDG-BCN with the first flight on DL. However ticket is on AirFrance stock. Delta res says I can't request comp upgrade until I get to airport because their system has no way to enter an upgrade request if tkt not purchased on Delta. Agt says she also checked with supervisor and help desk.

Has this happened to anyone before? I intentionally chose itin with first flight on DL so I could get an upgrade so I'm not happy about this.
Yes, this is standard. You are not, in this case, a Delta customer. While you are on DL metal, you are an AF customer. Your benefits would be Sky Team Elite Plus. Perhaps a red coat or gate agent at PVR would be willing to do something for you, though I would not expect a lot of help at that airport. Sorry, I know this is frustrating.

Did you just buy the ticket? Possible to cancel and rebook through Delta?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Did you just buy the ticket? Possible to cancel and rebook through Delta?
I had to purchase at Amex website to use my Amex points. I tried to get ticketed on DL but the (awful) Amex website would not cooperate. (Came up priced $1,000 more on DL)
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This topic is discussed pretty frequently here (someone seems to discover it for the first time every few weeks and start a new thread on it). Here's a thread started a couple weeks ago -- PM no access to C+ on DL metal if ticket booked through KLM?
You are also not eligible to be added to C+ upgrade list. The DL upgrade processor uses special fare classes and inventory (RU and SU for F and C+) for comp upgrades and partners have no such equivalent classes under their marketing codes.
wxman22 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Nov 18, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite

Did you not login to the website or app to look at the reservation at all before the risk-free period expires?

If there is a new booking, I am expecting to see me (same with you as PM) in C+/SU class immediately after ticketing. If not, I want to know why, and if this happened it would be immediately on my radar.

How to get around it:
*risk free cancel / cancel and rebook (did you ask DL if they would take over the ticket and what the fare difference would be?)
*apply an upgrade certificate - then they will switch it to a DL flight number to clear the upgrade
*experience a schedule change etc and change the flights and flight coding then
*find a nice agent willing to change it to DL flight numbers for you because you didn't know this previously**

** ---> when this issue first happened to me personally, a very nice agent somehow took over the ticket and even exchanged it for DL flight numbers. I've learned since to never book like this again if upgrades are important to me on DL, or simply select an exit row until DOD if the savings are great enough
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I had to purchase at Amex website to use my Amex points. I tried to get ticketed on DL but the (awful) Amex website would not cooperate. (Came up priced $1,000 more on DL)
What is the Sky Miles rate? You could transfer your MR to your Sky Miles account if it works out to be similar (and if you are still within 24 hour window).
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
To be clear, ticketing carrier does not matter. What matters is the code of the flight you purchase. Only DL prime flights (meaning DL operated and coded) can get window upgrades. Any flight on DL metal but sold as a codeshare can only be upgraded day of departure. Till then you are booked on an AF/KL/AZ/etc flight, and thus can't be upgraded.

Think of it as this. AF sold you an AF flight. However they know they won't be operating that flight and thus have reserved a seat on a flight operating at same time by another carrier. Helps make a little more sense as to why can't upgrade. It's also why when using a certificate they must change codeshare flight numbers to operating airline flight numbers.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:10 pm

Thanks for the informative replies. It's only a 4 hour flight and we have exit row so I'm not going to spend more time on this. Maybe the agents at the airport will help on day of departure if there are better seats still open.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Think of it as this. AF sold you an AF flight. However they know they won't be operating that flight and thus have reserved a seat on a flight operating at same time by another carrier. Helps make a little more sense as to why can't upgrade. It's also why when using a certificate they must change codeshare flight numbers to operating airline flight numbers.
I know you've used this analogy in similar threads, but it only operates this way in a vacuum.

In reality, the airlines are selling one another's flights as codeshares. Period. They know DL is operating this flight 330 days out or whatever when they load it in the system.

They have a joint venture and could invest in either making this possible when coded as AF or KL flights, or have a policy that would allow Medallions to change over to DL flight numbers just prior to their upgrade window clearing or something. They choose to do no either, which says something about their investment in loyalty and pax experience.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
It used to be. As an AF PM I was often upgraded on Delta and NW. It was really Delta who changed it. Same as I used to be able to choose a Comfort+ seat until they made that a fare class. I am still at a loss why AF accepts DL upgrade certs given that AF doesn't issue them and Flying Blue members will never get them.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
What really makes me wonder is that you can't even PAY for an Y+ seat. If you look up your ( AF/KL ) flights on Delta you get the "upgrade to Economy comfort" button but once you click it....."sorry everyone else but not you mate"...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I know you've used this analogy in similar threads, but it only operates this way in a vacuum.

In reality, the airlines are selling one another's flights as codeshares. Period. They know DL is operating this flight 330 days out or whatever when they load it in the system.

They have a joint venture and could invest in either making this possible when coded as AF or KL flights, or have a policy that would allow Medallions to change over to DL flight numbers just prior to their upgrade window clearing or something. They choose to do no either, which says something about their investment in loyalty and pax experience.
It's not poor IT or thoughtlesness. This was a deliberate change made by DL to eliminate a perceived lack of reciprocity. AF does not offer freebie UG's based on status and thus this would be a one-way benefit for AF customers flying DL who have DL status.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not poor IT or thoughtlesness. This was a deliberate change made by DL to eliminate a perceived lack of reciprocity. AF does not offer freebie UG's based on status and thus this would be a one-way benefit for AF customers flying DL who have DL status.
First, AF doesn't have a Comfort + equivalent...only XL seats or PE - and DL doesn't do free upgrades to PS either...

Second, I'm not talking about Flying Blue elites getting free upgrades on DL flights. I am only suggesting my change for DL Medallions booked on AF or KL flight numbers but what are DL operates flights.

This is frequently due to the fare used for each leg. For example, I have a string of 3 flights OSL-AMS-BOS-LGA. Because the first leg is KL, it seems it uses a KL fare and all KL flight #s . Have asked DL how much to change BOS-LGA to a DL flight # and the agents can't even get the computer to save the change to that flight - keeps kicking it out supposedly.

Point being, sometimes DL Medallions book on DL.com and end up with KL or AF #s on DL metal. DL should have a process to accommodate these Medallions more than requesting it at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.