Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold
China Southern to leave Skyteam

https://onemileatatime.com/china-sou...aving-skyteam/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN1NK0ZS

Can't say I'm surprised by this.

I am interested if DL will allow you to credit flights purchased before today to Skymiles (not that the earning rate is great, but still could be consequential for some).
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:24 am

Programs: Delta PM
I have a CZ flight (GMP-PEK) as a part of an award ticket in June of 2019. I know I am still ticketed, but I wonder what will happen to the STE+ benefits. I assume they won't exist so that kinda sucks.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Bummer, but not unexpected.

I wonder if and when this will affect Xiamen Airlines. They’re 55% owned by CZ, so you kind of expect they will follow the mothership, but they may wait to make the move for another year or two until CZ’s new alliance membership is solidified (almost certainly in OneWorld).

This leaves SkyTeam with a gaping hole in South China you can fly an A380 through, although I do agree CZ/MF weren’t really filling that hole well given the limited nature of the partnership. I wonder if HX would be interested in an alliance?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by jfadool
I have a CZ flight (GMP-PEK) as a part of an award ticket in June of 2019. I know I am still ticketed, but I wonder what will happen to the STE+ benefits. I assume they won't exist so that kinda sucks.
It does suck, though so does the Skyteam lounge at GMP.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Well this royally sucks. My main travel route is MEM>DTW>PEK>KWE.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Answering my own question, MF is staying for now:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/15/reut...next-year.html

Xiamen Airlines Co Ltd, a subsidiary of China Southern that is also a SkyTeam member, however, has no plans to quit the alliance, Xiamen spokesman Qiu Dapeng said on Thursday.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well while their service wasn't exactly great, it is disappointing since that means less options where you can earn miles or use award tickets. Sure DL has China Eastern, but this will leave a good size gap in coverage.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:18 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by JCM3535
Well this royally sucks. My main travel route is MEM>DTW>PEK>KWE.
You can connect in PVG on Shanghai Air or ICN, so you still have A350 options.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BenA
Bummer, but not unexpected.

I wonder if and when this will affect Xiamen Airlines. They’re 55% owned by CZ, so you kind of expect they will follow the mothership, but they may wait to make the move for another year or two until CZ’s new alliance membership is solidified (almost certainly in OneWorld).

This leaves SkyTeam with a gaping hole in South China you can fly an A380 through, although I do agree CZ/MF weren’t really filling that hole well given the limited nature of the partnership. I wonder if HX would be interested in an alliance?
-CX has veto power in OW, and does not want any Chinese partners
-AA and CZ can tango to their hearts' delight in Daxing
-Southern China is a pretty easy hole to fill
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:34 am

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/chin...leave-skyteam/

Looks like Xiamen is leaving too.

I don't know if the spokesperson for CZ has all the information, but I hope they didn't jump ship anticipating getting a JV with AA. DOT won't approve any JV's without a full open skies treaty and the US and China don't have one. Now as far as I know that's a guideline, not a law, but I would certainly expect the rule to change or an exception to be made under the current administration.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by kop84
https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/chin...leave-skyteam/

Looks like Xiamen is leaving too.

I don't know if the spokesperson for CZ has all the information, but I hope they didn't jump ship anticipating getting a JV with AA. DOT won't approve any JV's without a full open skies treaty and the US and China don't have one. Now as far as I know that's a guideline, not a law, but I would certainly expect the rule to change or an exception to be made under the current administration.
Huh. That article doesnt actually quote anyone saying Xiamen leaving. I mean, we all assume it's going to happen at some point if not immediately, but I wonder if it's just the author assuming it will happen because it's a CZ subisidary, or if it's actually sourced with a statement from a spokesperson. (I ask because Reuters specifically reached out to a Xiamen spokesperson and was explicitly told they're staying for the foreseeable future, so somebody here on one side or the other is confused..)
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by moondog
-CX has veto power in OW, and does not want any Chinese partners
-AA and CZ can tango to their hearts' delight in Daxing
-Southern China is a pretty easy hole to fill
This is a common meme, but I think the CX-blocking-CZ thing is overblown here on FlyerTalk. While ambitions may be there, I really don't think they're competing for the same passengers in most cases; CX is mostly focused on HK O&D traffic and long haul transfer traffic, while CZ's business is mostly operating a gateway into the PRC. Sure, there's some overlap, particularly on Australia routes. But by and large, I don't think anyone is going to stop booking CX flights because CZ is suddenly an option that earns miles.

In fact, competition from CZ could be a reason CX's thinking is changing on the topic. CX is losing money hand over fist, and part of the problem is long haul competition (especially from Hong Kong Airlines). Bringing CZ into the OneWorld fold could open the gates to a bit of coordination so they don't step on each other's toes, and can focus instead on squeezing out HX and other low cost interlopers.

Remember, there are central planners for the aviation industry in China, and diversifying their three major airlines across the three major alliances has to be an attractive goal for them. While CX is still a Hong Kong airline and the Hong Kong aviation market is still free, they operate a lot of routes to the mainland, and there could certainly be some behind the scenes favors on offer to convince CX to cooperate if they really want to get China Southern into OneWorld.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by BenA
Huh. That article doesnt actually quote anyone saying Xiamen leaving. I mean, we all assume it's going to happen at some point if not immediately, but I wonder if it's just the author assuming it will happen because it's a CZ subisidary, or if it's actually sourced with a statement from a spokesperson. (I ask because Reuters specifically reached out to a Xiamen spokesperson and was explicitly told they're staying for the foreseeable future, so somebody here on one side or the other is confused..)
I think the article implies that MF is leaving too by saying Skyteam will be left with just one Mainland Chinese carrier but as you said, the MF spokesperson had said yesterday in the Reuters article that they will be staying in ST. I tend to believe the Reuters article as the Airways one also has other mistakes (eg saying that AA’s request for dormancy for ORD-PVG/PEK has been approved even though it has not).
Old Nov 16, 2018, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

CX doesn't want any Chinese carriers in OW. If AA drops its HK routes, perhaps they will change their tune.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.