Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Stop the Sky Priority Boarding Cattle Call!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stop the Sky Priority Boarding Cattle Call!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Fair--but people without SKY status should not board there (but I know they sometimes do). Being on the upgrade list does not entitle anyone to any perk, it's just being on a list. Between FO's, ST elite and corporate contracts that add pax to the upgrade list, I would think there are plenty of flights with lots of people who are on the UG list who are not SKY. In this case, this is an enforcement issue.
Are you saying Zone 1 is not supposed to board through the Priority lane? They are obviously supposed to wait till they are called, but they are asked to use the Priority lane (assuming no pillars). Or at least that used to be the case. Delta still considers Zone 1 to be priority (you will never be Zone 1 if you are in Main Cabin and do not have something else - Silver status, partner status, credit card, etc). As I mentioned in my post, it seems a little silly to call "Zone 1" priority when over half the plane has already boarded before Zone 1 even starts, but that's besides the point.

I'm not talking about boarding order here, I'm talking about general gate crowding.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire
...plus pax seated in C+, most of whom are usually GM and above anyways.
I'm not seeing that lately. 10/30 (a Tuesday!?) I couldn't catch a non-middle upgrade to C+ on any segment. Seatmates in the exit rows were GMs and Plats. C+ was mostly families w/kids flying on what I would think was a school day.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Cyberian
I'm not seeing that lately. 10/30 (a Tuesday!?) I couldn't catch a non-middle upgrade to C+ on any segment. Seatmates in the exit rows were GMs and Plats. C+ was mostly families w/kids flying on what I would think was a school day.
If it's any consolation I'm a DM and can't even catch a C+ middle seat upgrade regardless of the day.

I just wish there was more airplane mixing so that they could board the darn plane quicker - e.g., board some random people in the middle and back of the plane while PREM and SKY is underway. Would shave at least 5-7 minutes off of boarding if they did that.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Until Delta actually enforces the rules, this is all moot anyway. It would be much easier if the system simply refuses boarding passes when passengers try to board out of turn. It would eliminate the awkwardness the agent must feel asking people to step aside to wait for the proper zone. And once that is obvious, people will self regulate for fear of certain embarrassment- since the machine won't look the other way.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Another all too common issue is GA's not opening the Sky Priority Lane while boarding a flight. Often I see GA's who will board PREM/SKY through general boarding line and then follow with Zone 1,2.. through the same line.

That is fine for those PREM/SKY pax at the gate when boarding first starts. But usually I prefer to hang in the club until about T-20 or so. I though that benefit was a guaranteed feature of being SKY. The ability to show up later during boarding and be able to skip past the scanner line is important to me.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTitanium, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by mridley2
Another all too common issue is GA's not opening the Sky Priority Lane while boarding a flight. Often I see GA's who will board PREM/SKY through general boarding line and then follow with Zone 1,2.. through the same line.

That is fine for those PREM/SKY pax at the gate when boarding first starts. But usually I prefer to hang in the club until about T-20 or so. I though that benefit was a guaranteed feature of being SKY. The ability to show up later during boarding and be able to skip past the scanner line is important to me.
+1. It's frustrating having to leave the lounge early to avoid boarding last. BA's boarding process is far better in this regard. The same applies to those local handling companies who start boarding way too early when the aircraft isn't even ready and all the PAX have to wait in a holding pen for 10-15 minutes. SP boarders have no way of getting to the front of the line as the holding pen only has one very long merged line.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:52 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I don't understand, you guys want to stay in the lounge and not board first, but not board last either? Why not just board last? I would think that in 90% of cases the overhead situation in the area around your seat is going to be the same boarding in the middle as boarding last (everyone in your general area will be boarding before you).
Old Nov 13, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by pvn
I don't understand, you guys want to stay in the lounge and not board first, but not board last either? Why not just board last? I would think that in 90% of cases the overhead situation in the area around your seat is going to be the same boarding in the middle as boarding last (everyone in your general area will be boarding before you).
Agree and sort of true, although I spend a lot of time in the last row so I can safely not board first but I also want to board with at least 30% of the plane empty so I can guarantee OHB space. Your statement only applies if someone is in F or C+. F because there will probably still be space, and C+ because there won't be space as soon as SKY finishes boarding anyways.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
OK, yeah, if you're at the back of the plane that makes a bit more sense.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Enforcing Boarding Zones

With so many negative posts about the boarding process, I witnessed the opposite yesterday. The GA was ACTIVELY enforcing boarding zones to the point they were asking people to show their phones before scanning, and I watched them kick 2 people out of the line during pre board and people behind me during PREM who were trying to board with SKY.

I was so surprised I didnt get a chance but would have loved to give them a JWD certificate. With lots of negatives on how boarding is handled I thought a positive post would be warranted.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Just calling zones doesn't make people feel special. Look around for posts where people need to feel special. My favorite was the guy who thought the pet fee should be waived because he's Diamond.
So maybe the answer is another group before Prem: DYKWIA. I wanna be next to that line and listen to all of the DYKWIAing
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
Are you saying Zone 1 is not supposed to board through the Priority lane? They are obviously supposed to wait till they are called, but they are asked to use the Priority lane (assuming no pillars). Or at least that used to be the case. Delta still considers Zone 1 to be priority (you will never be Zone 1 if you are in Main Cabin and do not have something else - Silver status, partner status, credit card, etc). As I mentioned in my post, it seems a little silly to call "Zone 1" priority when over half the plane has already boarded before Zone 1 even starts, but that's besides the point.

I'm not talking about boarding order here, I'm talking about general gate crowding.

I was under the impression that Zone 1 was supposed to board through the general lane, and that they are the first to do so. My understanding, and experience, is that the SP lane is supposed to remain open the whole time for SP to use whenever they come to the gate.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by vincentharris
With so many negative posts about the boarding process, I witnessed the opposite yesterday. The GA was ACTIVELY enforcing boarding zones to the point they were asking people to show their phones before scanning, and I watched them kick 2 people out of the line during pre board and people behind me during PREM who were trying to board with SKY.

I was so surprised I didnt get a chance but would have loved to give them a JWD certificate. With lots of negatives on how boarding is handled I thought a positive post would be warranted.
Not sure why this post was moved here? Seems not relevant to this conversation at all.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:03 pm

I was under the impression that Zone 1 was supposed to board through the general lane, and that they are the first to do so. My understanding, and experience, is that the SP lane is supposed to remain open the whole time for SP to use whenever they come to the gate.
This is not the case - or at least it wasn't true two years ago. Zone 1 always boarded through the priority lane as it is considered a priority boarding zone* and as such boards through the SKY lane at airports without the pillars. Whenever I arrive late, it generally appears that this is still the case.

Again, it is farcical since a lot of flights mean that 80%+ of the plane (between Delta and partner status, credit cards, and corporate bookings) gets "priority boarding" but it is what it is.

* Delta even sells priority boarding as an Extra for ~$15 and this slots you into Zone 1
Old Nov 13, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Gig103
AA does: CK, F, EXP, PP/P, G
then general boarding 5-9

​​​​​​I like the separation of F from the elites. But who, when they qualify for a particular benefit, find fault with it?
I happen to like this system on AA (admittedly, it works particularly well for me, but even aside from that, it seems fair and reasonable).

The worst system imho is on UA, where Premier 1K get to pre-board (and that's often quite a few people) and then FC is in the same group as Platinum and Gold. So if you are in FC and aren't at the gate to line up well ahead of time, you're in for a lengthy wait to board (at least given the elite loads on the flights I've taken recently).
Spanish likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.