Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles account hacked, points drained

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat

I was trying to logon to delta.com today. I kept getting a login/password error. Went and changed the password so I could get in. I look at my miles and was horrified to see that it was drained! Now, I'm not like many of you here with millions of miles; I had a modest amount that I was holding onto for a future trip to Europe. Looks like that, on October 7, someone used up the miles twice for "Skymiles Marketplace" purchases.

I've sent an account query to DL to see what happened. Anyone have an idea of what I can expect?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
My Sympathies

I won’t speculate on how the crooks got into your account. Same thing happened a year ago on IHG hotels. Common denominator is the ability to redeem stolen points for gift card or other marketplace transactions where the thief can “redeem and run.”

You inquiry with Delta isn’t “What happened?”, but “Points stolen via Delta Marketplace, please restore them!”

Good luck and please report back your resolution with Delta.
LuoboTiX likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I didn't do "what happened", but "account hacked and points stolen"...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I won’t speculate on how the crooks got into your account. Same thing happened a year ago on IHG hotels. Common denominator is the ability to redeem stolen points for gift card or other marketplace transactions where the thief can “redeem and run.”

You inquiry with Delta isn’t “What happened?”, but “Points stolen via Delta Marketplace, please restore them!”

Good luck and please report back your resolution with Delta.
Got hit at IHG also. Cleared out account. Luckily they recognized the activity was abnormal and locked account. They then called before the scheduled checkin to verify I had requested. Got all points back.

Hopefully DL treats OP better than what a UA member just went through. MP locked my account due to "Fraud", Help {caused by UA error, access restored}
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by slidergirl
I was trying to logon to delta.com today. I kept getting a login/password error. Went and changed the password so I could get in. I look at my miles and was horrified to see that it was drained! Now, I'm not like many of you here with millions of miles; I had a modest amount that I was holding onto for a future trip to Europe. Looks like that, on October 7, someone used up the miles twice for "Skymiles Marketplace" purchases.

I've sent an account query to DL to see what happened. Anyone have an idea of what I can expect?
This has happened to a number of readers. I expect Delta will give you all the points back.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Boy, what a miserable thing to have happen. You seem to be taking it pretty well, though. I don't know if I could compose such calm, sane messages under the circumstances!
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hotturnip
Boy, what a miserable thing to have happen. You seem to be taking it pretty well, though. I don't know if I could compose such calm, sane messages under the circumstances!
You do understand the same IT folks who protect DL SkyMiles are the folks who run the SkyMiles booking page? I am not shocked at all. #LowestCostSubContractors
Old Oct 10, 2018, 12:00 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I find it highly unlikely that security/fraud/loss prevention folk write web site/booking engine code.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Hertz PC, National EE, Bonvoy TE, GE, CLEAR
I got hacked while I slept. They put the miles back before I woke up.

Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:26 am
Suspended

Statement on [24]7.ai cyber incident

Originally Posted by Zorak
I find it highly unlikely that security/fraud/loss prevention folk write web site/booking engine code.
https://news.delta.com/updated-state...cyber-incident
On Saturday Delta launched delta.allclearid.com to offer free credit monitoring services to customers who believe they may be impacted, and updated delta.com/response.
Last week, on March 28, Delta was notified by [24]7.ai, a company that provides online chat services for Delta and many other companies, that [24]7.ai had been involved in a cyber incident. It is our understanding that the incident occurred at [24]7.ai from Sept. 26 to Oct. 12, 2017, and that during this time certain customer payment information for [24]7.ai clients, including Delta, may have been accessed – but no other customer personal information, such as passport, government ID, security or SkyMiles information was impacted. Delta customers who believe they could be impacted should visit https://delta.allclearid.com to enroll in free protection services being offered.Upon being notified of [24]7.ai's incident, Delta immediately began working with [24]7.ai to understand any potential impact the incident had on Delta customers, delta.com, or any Delta computer system. We also engaged federal law enforcement and forensic teams, and have confirmed that the incident was resolved by [24]7.ai last October. At this point, even though only a small subset of our customers would have been exposed, we cannot say definitively whether any of our customers' information was actually accessed or subsequently compromised.We appreciate and understand that this information is concerning to our customers. The security and confidentiality of our customers' information is of critical importance to us and a responsibility we take extremely seriously. On Thursday Delta launched delta.com/response, a dedicated website, which we will update regularly to address customer questions and concerns. We will also directly contact customers who may have been impacted by the [24]7.ai cyber incident. In the event any of our customers' payment cards were used fraudulently as a result of the [24]7.ai cyber incident, we will ensure our customers are not responsible for that activity.

Posted at 5:15 p.m. Wednesday:Last week, on March 28, Delta was notified by [24]7.ai, a company that provides online chat services for Delta and many other companies, that [24]7.ai had been involved in a cyber incident. It is our understanding that the incident occurred at [24]7.ai from Sept. 26 to Oct. 12, 2017, and that during this time certain customer payment information for [24]7.ai clients, including Delta, may have been accessed – but no other customer personal information, such as passport, government ID, security or SkyMiles information was impacted.Upon being notified of [24]7.ai's incident, Delta immediately began working with [24]7.ai to understand any potential impact the incident had on Delta customers, delta.com, or any Delta computer system. We also engaged federal law enforcement and forensic teams, and have confirmed that the incident was resolved by [24]7.ai last October. At this point, even though only a small subset of our customers would have been exposed, we cannot say definitively whether any of our customers' information was actually accessed or subsequently compromised.We appreciate and understand that this information is concerning to our customers. The security and confidentiality of our customers' information is of critical importance to us and a responsibility we take extremely seriously. Delta will launch delta.com/response, a dedicated website, noon ET April 5, which we will update regularly to address customer questions and concerns. We will also directly contact customers who may have been impacted by the [24]7.ai cyber incident. In the event any of our customers' payment cards were used fraudulently as a result of the [24]7.ai cyber incident, we will ensure our customers are not responsible for that activity.

Statement issued earlier Wednesday by [24]7.ai on Information Security Incident[24]7.ai discovered and contained an incident potentially affecting the online customer payment information of a small number of our client companies, and affected clients have been notified. The incident began on Sept. 26 and was discovered and contained on Oct. 12, 2017. We have notified law enforcement and are cooperating fully to ensure the protection of our clients and their customers' online safety. We are confident that the platform is secure, and we are working diligently with our clients to determine if any of their customer information was accessed.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are many ways accounts can be compromised without any fault due to Delta. There's no point in speculating without knowing the details.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by LBJ
There are many ways accounts can be compromised without any fault due to Delta. There's no point in speculating without knowing the details.

I agree with this 110%. Why folks want to slam Delta (or any company) without knowing what really happened.

By design, access to accounts will have the basic security.

End users often do things making it easy for others to hack in. Or maybe the end users computer was hacked.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I agree with this 110%. Why folks want to slam Delta (or any company) without knowing what really happened.

By design, access to accounts will have the basic security.

End users often do things making it easy for others to hack in. Or maybe the end users computer was hacked.
I always wonder when people have to sign into websites, especially less reputable ones, if the passwords are ever sold or used elsewhere as MANY people use the same email/password combo for everything from ESPN.com, Facebook, Twitter, Online Banking, Delta.com, Flyertalk, etc.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 11:03 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Renes Points
https://news.delta.com/updated-state...cyber-incident
On Saturday Delta launched delta.allclearid.com to offer free credit monitoring services to customers who believe they may be impacted, and updated delta.com/response.Last week, on March 28, Delta was notified by [24]7.ai, a company that provides online chat services for Delta and many other companies, that [24]7.ai had been involved in a cyber incident.
if this is supposed to be a reply to what I said, you're going to have to spell out the connection for me.

You asserted that "the same IT folks who protect DL SkyMiles are the folks who run the SkyMiles booking page". I get that you want to use any excuse to bash their IT, and I'm not by any means saying it's a shining example or anything, but for a company Delta's size that statement is almost certainly untrue. You *could* be correct, but based on 20+ years as a software developer I'm going to remain skeptical unless you can produce an internal org chart. (And sure, eventually they probably report to the same VP somewhere but that's not what we're talking about)

Replying with an example of what is essentially a website plugin component outsourced to a third party being compromised feels like a complete non sequitur.
bergamini, sky303 and jinglish like this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by kop84
I always wonder when people have to sign into websites, especially less reputable ones, if the passwords are ever sold or used elsewhere as MANY people use the same email/password combo for everything from ESPN.com, Facebook, Twitter, Online Banking, Delta.com, Flyertalk, etc.
Somebody has to be a complete idiot or super naive to use the same credentials they use on facebook, twiiter, flyertalk etc as they do for online banking. And if one has any decent amount of miles, same with dl.com.

Get yourself a throwaway username/password for all the sites you think do not need an actual signon. And for me that includes this site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.