FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Hurricane Michael’s Potential Impact on ATL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1934405-hurricane-michael-s-potential-impact-atl.html)

sydneyracquelle Oct 7, 2018 3:05 pm

Hurricane Michael’s Potential Impact on ATL

I know it’s a little premature 72-84 hours out but I have a critical flight out of ATL on Thursday morning and was wondering when DL might start allowing free changes to fly out before the storm.

ethernal Oct 7, 2018 3:14 pm

My guess is sometime tomorrow at the earliest - and probably not till Tuesday. It's a relatively small and weak storm and there is still a decent chance it veers further south. It doesn't need to veer too far off given that as long as crosswinds stay below 25 mph impact on ATL ops will be limited. And Delta would like to avoid a travel waiver that involves ATL as much as possible.

indufan Oct 7, 2018 7:07 pm

The models differ greatly on the timing of this system. If I was in charge, it would be wait and see that is all that could be said.....and that USED to be Delta's approach. BUT in the last couple of years, they have been moving decidedly earlier on such matters.

jk88usa Oct 8, 2018 9:26 am

Forecast certainly looking worse today. Now expected to hit the coast as a strong Cat 2 or a Cat 3. And then expected to move virtually right over Atlanta as a tropical storm on Thursday.

Hoping they issue a waiver sooner than later as I’m slated thru there Friday

sleuth Oct 8, 2018 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jk88usa (Post 30291771)
Forecast certainly looking worse today. Now expected to hit the coast as a strong Cat 2 or a Cat 3. And then expected to move virtually right over Atlanta as a tropical storm on Thursday.

Hoping they issue a waiver sooner than later as I’m slated thru there Friday

Since when is Atlanta in central Georgia? Atlanta will be well north of the center, and most of the weather is on the east side of the storm. If anyone needs to worry it’s people south of Macon.

jk88usa Oct 8, 2018 10:00 am

Originally Posted by sleuth (Post 30291861)

Since when is Atlanta in central Georgia? Atlanta will be well north of the center, and most of the weather is on the east side of the storm. If anyone needs to worry it’s people south of Macon.

While I agree...there will still be plenty of wind and rain, and if I can avoid ATL during a potential meltdown - I'll gladly do it. And a lot of the models are actually bringing it much closer to ATL while there are some bringing it further South

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/stor...efs_latest.png
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/stor...eps_latest.png

vincentharris Oct 8, 2018 11:14 am

I fly back to ATL on Thursday so either

A) nothing will happen
B) I will be sitting at another airport for a long time waiting to go home
C) It will be one heck of a landing!

Here's hoping for A

Fredrik74 Oct 8, 2018 11:19 am

I've never travelled through ATL before but will do so on Saturday. I know it's early but is it realistic to expect problems? If yes, would that be true for TLH too or should it be over by then?

ethernal Oct 8, 2018 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Fredrik74 (Post 30292255)
I've never travelled through ATL before but will do so on Saturday. I know it's early but is it realistic to expect problems? If yes, would that be true for TLH too or should it be over by then?

The storm will be long gone by Saturday (at least from ATL, but it is forecasted to be gone from the US completely by Saturday). Presently Thursday is looking like the "at risk" day.

I am surprised that Delta hasn't issued waivers for some of the gulf coast airports. Hopefully those will come out today as the probabilities are near 100% for portions of the panhandle.

Fredrik74 Oct 8, 2018 11:35 am

Thanks! I was a little worried at first but not anymore.

fotographer Oct 8, 2018 12:54 pm

I am flying out on AA from ATL on Thursday, checked their website, no alerts yet

Live4Miles Oct 8, 2018 1:10 pm

Any thoughts about what would happen to a MSP-MCO flight...lets say 9 am departure on Wed...so in theory would get to path of storm a few hours after it has passed by.

Would they typically operate the flight knowing the storm would (should) be past when plane got to its path...or would they just cancel it?

flyerCO Oct 8, 2018 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Live4Miles (Post 30292693)
Any thoughts about what would happen to a MSP-MCO flight...lets say 9 am departure on Wed...so in theory would get to path of storm a few hours after it has passed by.

Would they typically operate the flight knowing the storm would (should) be past when plane got to its path...or would they just cancel it?

It'll operate as long as weather allows it. They should know within about 24 hours of departure if it'll be an issue .

Orange County Commuter Oct 8, 2018 1:49 pm

Delta has an advisory for cities in the panhandle, travel days 10/9- 10/10

Southwest has a much more extensive advisory fit Atlanta starting today through Friday. (And honestly I have no idea why today is included. I’m in Atlanta and I don’t think the storm is having much impact

WyomingBound Oct 8, 2018 3:06 pm

The other issue that may arise in that area while it will not affect ATL itself will be the airspace in the area, as the storm will probably be just east of ATL causing approach into Atlanta to possibly be an issue depending on winds.....lets hope for the best.