Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hurricane Michaels Potential Impact on ATL

Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

I know its a little premature 72-84 hours out but I have a critical flight out of ATL on Thursday morning and was wondering when DL might start allowing free changes to fly out before the storm.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
My guess is sometime tomorrow at the earliest - and probably not till Tuesday. It's a relatively small and weak storm and there is still a decent chance it veers further south. It doesn't need to veer too far off given that as long as crosswinds stay below 25 mph impact on ATL ops will be limited. And Delta would like to avoid a travel waiver that involves ATL as much as possible.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
The models differ greatly on the timing of this system. If I was in charge, it would be wait and see that is all that could be said.....and that USED to be Delta's approach. BUT in the last couple of years, they have been moving decidedly earlier on such matters.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:26 am

Forecast certainly looking worse today. Now expected to hit the coast as a strong Cat 2 or a Cat 3. And then expected to move virtually right over Atlanta as a tropical storm on Thursday.

Hoping they issue a waiver sooner than later as Im slated thru there Friday
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jk88usa
Forecast certainly looking worse today. Now expected to hit the coast as a strong Cat 2 or a Cat 3. And then expected to move virtually right over Atlanta as a tropical storm on Thursday.

Hoping they issue a waiver sooner than later as Im slated thru there Friday
Since when is Atlanta in central Georgia? Atlanta will be well north of the center, and most of the weather is on the east side of the storm. If anyone needs to worry its people south of Macon.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by sleuth

Since when is Atlanta in central Georgia? Atlanta will be well north of the center, and most of the weather is on the east side of the storm. If anyone needs to worry its people south of Macon.
While I agree...there will still be plenty of wind and rain, and if I can avoid ATL during a potential meltdown - I'll gladly do it. And a lot of the models are actually bringing it much closer to ATL while there are some bringing it further South

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/stor...efs_latest.png
https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/stor...eps_latest.png
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:14 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
I fly back to ATL on Thursday so either

A) nothing will happen
B) I will be sitting at another airport for a long time waiting to go home
C) It will be one heck of a landing!

Here's hoping for A
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Various
I've never travelled through ATL before but will do so on Saturday. I know it's early but is it realistic to expect problems? If yes, would that be true for TLH too or should it be over by then?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
I've never travelled through ATL before but will do so on Saturday. I know it's early but is it realistic to expect problems? If yes, would that be true for TLH too or should it be over by then?
The storm will be long gone by Saturday (at least from ATL, but it is forecasted to be gone from the US completely by Saturday). Presently Thursday is looking like the "at risk" day.

I am surprised that Delta hasn't issued waivers for some of the gulf coast airports. Hopefully those will come out today as the probabilities are near 100% for portions of the panhandle.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: Various
Thanks! I was a little worried at first but not anymore.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am flying out on AA from ATL on Thursday, checked their website, no alerts yet
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:10 pm

Any thoughts about what would happen to a MSP-MCO flight...lets say 9 am departure on Wed...so in theory would get to path of storm a few hours after it has passed by.

Would they typically operate the flight knowing the storm would (should) be past when plane got to its path...or would they just cancel it?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
Any thoughts about what would happen to a MSP-MCO flight...lets say 9 am departure on Wed...so in theory would get to path of storm a few hours after it has passed by.

Would they typically operate the flight knowing the storm would (should) be past when plane got to its path...or would they just cancel it?
It'll operate as long as weather allows it. They should know within about 24 hours of departure if it'll be an issue .
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:49 pm

Delta has an advisory for cities in the panhandle, travel days 10/9- 10/10

Southwest has a much more extensive advisory fit Atlanta starting today through Friday. (And honestly I have no idea why today is included. Im in Atlanta and I dont think the storm is having much impact
Old Oct 8, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, TSA Pre-Check
The other issue that may arise in that area while it will not affect ATL itself will be the airspace in the area, as the storm will probably be just east of ATL causing approach into Atlanta to possibly be an issue depending on winds.....lets hope for the best.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.