Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Weekly travel between two locations with Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

For work reason, I will travel between STL and ELM almost weekly and since ELM is only serviced by delta, so I take delta.

In this case, I am wondering whether you guys have some tips regarding how I can get good ticket prices or additional benefits.

Currently, I am a silver medallion and hold amex platinum credit card and amex delta gold credit card. Thank you!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PG
There's not much price variation on that route, so if saving $20 each time is important to you, then leaving on Saturdays or Tuesdays (instead of Sun-Mon) is about it. Benefits come with higher status levels. Probability of upgrade depends a lot on the route and day of week, but generally odds are low until you reach PM and DM.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by jingh04
since ELM is only serviced by delta, so I take delta.
UA services ELM from EWR.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UpgradeMe
UA services ELM from EWR.
E145 STL-EWR to another E145 EWR-ELM? Not for me, thanks.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 5:35 am

If you are renting a car anyway there are sort of nearby airports that you can look at for lower fares, ITH & BGM being the closest. SYR is further out but will get you larger aircraft and the drive isn’t terrible except during the winter.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a route where BE might make some sense. It is 2 roughly 1 hour flights on aircraft with 2-2 seating in Y, so no middle seats. Neither F nor C+ present a significant benefit, but the BE savings is roughly $50 on the round-trip.

That is a greater savings than pretty much anything else you might achieve other than subjecting yourself to driving to other airports. Even then, you could likely achieve BE savings as well.

For all the rants on this board about BE, there are places where it makes sense and micro-hops in 2-2 seated aircraft are one of them.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Often1
It is 2 roughly 1 hour flights on aircraft with 2-2 seating in Y, so no middle seats.
Who out there can not tolerate a middle seat for one hour?
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by RRDD
a more relevant question here would be “Who out there can not tolerate two short flights on two-cabin jets with (per the rules, at least) absolutely no chance of riding in either C+ or F?”

... aircraft with 2-2 seating in Y, so no middle seats. ...
a couple of STL-DTW trips (at least in Nov) use 717s which are 2-3 in Y
Old Sep 29, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Personally, I would not book into a middle seat in a non-emergency situation. I would certainly book a BE seat on a 2-2 aircraft for a <1 hour flight in order to save $50. Especially where OP is expressing concern about the cost of typical Y tickets on the route which are running in the $280-300 range if booked in advance.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold

I have well over 1600 flights in a row without a middle seat. Won't do it. Too tall, too stocky. I don't even like a window seat in coach because of the curvature of the fusalage, but I'll do it in C+ if needed.

This is the number one reason I have status on DL/BA (so AA) and WN.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

The breeze produced by the multitude of rapidly raised hands was impressive.

The ultimate purpose of middle seats is to demonstrate the disdain that airline management (all airlines) have for mankind.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
This is a route where BE might make some sense. It is 2 roughly 1 hour flights on aircraft with 2-2 seating in Y, so no middle seats. Neither F nor C+ present a significant benefit, but the BE savings is roughly $50 on the round-trip.

That is a greater savings than pretty much anything else you might achieve other than subjecting yourself to driving to other airports. Even then, you could likely achieve BE savings as well.

For all the rants on this board about BE, there are places where it makes sense and micro-hops in 2-2 seated aircraft are one of them.
Excuse my ignorance but what is BE in this instance.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by apodo77
Basic Economy
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77
I also thought Business Elite for a while, then realized it wasn't.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
A Silver on DL booking BE will still have access to the preferred seats at the 24 hour checkin window. You'd be surprised how many are still left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.