Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Checking baggage through final destination on two separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC

I'm flying LAX-SEA-CDG on two separate tickets, both purchased from DL.
LAX-SEA and SEA-CDG, which is AF operated.
Will I be able to check my bags directly to CDG at LAX ? It would be a real PITA to have to collect them and go through TSA again.

In a similar occasion, JFK-ZRH-MXP, I was told my bag was going through to MXP, but then it was instead delivered in ZRH and it was only thanks to a series of fortunate circumstances that I saw it on the carousel and took care of the transfer myself.
In that case, though, there was perhaps the additional issue of going through customs; maybe in my present case everything will be easier with a domestic connection point.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Maybe. The GA could interline that for you. However, it really depends on the GA.

Also - if the time is sufficient, I would check them separately without the interline. In that case, any baggage issues, if happens, will be more clear.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I have done this a few times, my job buys a ticket to point A for a Friday but I want to head down to point B. I just tell the check in agent at starting airport to check it into point B. Never had an issue.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL policy is clear on this one. They will indeed interline in this case. DL BY POLICY will interline across tickets with their close partners. Ie AF/KL, MU, VS, AM, etc. Even if not on the offical list, if they have an interline agreement DL will generally interline even though they're not listed in the policy.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Delta will check bags through on separate tickets on certain Delta partner airlines. It is the travelers responsibility to provide proof of the on going flights.
  • Delta ticket plus a ticket on the Delta partner airlines listed below:
    • Aeromexico (AM)
    • Air France (AF)
    • Alitalia (AZ)
    • China Eastern (MU)
    • GOL (G3)
    • Jet Airways (9W)
    • KLM (KL)
    • Korean Air (KE)
    • Virgin Atlantic (VS)
    • Virgin Australia (VA)
  • Delta ticket plus a:
    • SkyTeam pass ticket
    • Ticket with travel on a Visit USA (VUSA) fare
    • Connection to a Delta charter flight
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
I would check them separately without the interline. In that case, any baggage issues, if happens, will be more clear.
What needs to be more clear? The final carrier, by virtue of the interline receipt, is responsible for tracking and compensation.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 12:06 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
Delta will check bags through on separate tickets on certain Delta partner airlines. It is the travelers responsibility to provide proof of the on going flights.
  • Delta ticket plus a ticket on the Delta partner airlines listed below:
    • Aeromexico (AM)
    • Air France (AF)
    • Alitalia (AZ)
    • China Eastern (MU)
    • GOL (G3)
    • Jet Airways (9W)
    • KLM (KL)
    • Korean Air (KE)
    • Virgin Atlantic (VS)
    • Virgin Australia (VA)
  • Delta ticket plus a:
    • SkyTeam pass ticket
    • Ticket with travel on a Visit USA (VUSA) fare
    • Connection to a Delta charter flight
Can you provide the link?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What needs to be more clear? The final carrier, by virtue of the interline receipt, is responsible for tracking and compensation.
Agree. However it should be noted, it's the carrier that delivers you to the last city the bags are tagged to. If final flight was supposed to be KL123 to PRG, but was rerouted and flew OK123 to PRG instead, OK is who you file with.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Being clear does not mean it is a good practice.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Never had an issue usually the GA will just ask for the record locator for the second flight to make sure it goes on the right flight. Done it many times domestically and internationally before with no issues.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by keneshhagard

Can you provide the link?
https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...e-policy-.html
Old Sep 25, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by vincentharris
Never had an issue usually the GA will just ask for the record locator for the second flight to make sure it goes on the right flight. Done it many times domestically and internationally before with no issues.
All on Delta?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:05 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Agree with this.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by OHDL1
All on Delta?
Both all on DL and on DL/SkyTeam too
Old Sep 25, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only is the policy clear, but in this specific case, OP's second ticket is on AF to CDG. AF handles customer service for both DL in Europe, just as DL does this for AF in the US. Thus, the entire issue about what to do if the bag is not properly delivered is irrelevant.

When you check in at LAX, ask to have the bag checked to CDG. Have a printed hard copy of your e-ticket receipt for the onwards flight in your hand and give it to the check-in agent. Less room for error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.