Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Change flight to "connect" via final destination

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change flight to "connect" via final destination

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
OP, at the end of the day you are trying to get something for nothing. If it’s imperstive you get your stuff from the East Coast, fly LAS-LAX, store that stuff, fly a separate ticket LAX-JFK-LAX and pick everything up on the return.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by VX N281VA
For LAS-LAX it says travel must be nonstop, with the exception of a FULL F fare where an SLC connection is permitted. I therefore declare the routing rules to be hogwash because I have SDCed into a SEA connection which is clearly not permitted under any routing rules. To say that the routing rules govern same day changes is true in theory only - in practice that's just not the case.
The routing rules are the routing rules. Agents can choose to ignore them for what seems reasonable - LAS-SEA/SLC-LAX is reasonable to most agents eyes at the Medallion line.

However, you cannot buy a First Class ticket and SDC to Delta One. It is forbidden by the rules and few agents make exceptions.

Also, I would bet you any amount of money that you cannot find one agent to convince allowing a JFK connection on a LAS-LAX flight - if they let an F ticket switch to Delta One and fly it LAX-JFK and back, Revenue Management would surely fire that agent. The value of those seats for sale is so much more than a cheap G fare on a Skywest operated plane LAS-LAX.
MSPeconomist and hi55us like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I'd say lets make a bet on this, since you're so certain — but alas, I am not certain or as experienced as others in the intricacies of SDC.
Clearly you are more of an expert than any of us based on your unwillingness to accept our answers, so please, do start wasting your time calling DL and let us know how it turns out.
indufan and jinglish like this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:21 am

On United, I've same-day changed SFO-PDX to SFO-EWR-PDX, and then to SFO-EWR-SFO-PDX right after boarding the SFO-EWR flight for free, but no idea how Delta handles this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tomst
On United, I've same-day changed SFO-PDX to SFO-EWR-PDX, and then to SFO-EWR-SFO-PDX right after boarding the SFO-EWR flight for free, but no idea how Delta handles this.
UA is usually strict on routing rules. However once you made it to EWR, going back through SFO was ok. I've done plenty of SDC backtracking through a hub again.

What can't be done is land at final destination and ask to fly onwards to come back to same. You've arrived at the final destination you paid to be taken to. There is no more value left in ticket at that point. It defies logic that the question was asked, muchless asked seriously.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP is free to ask an agent to reroute him as he seeks. The answer ought to be "no" but it is free to ask. Rather than debating whether some agent wants to help OP enough to put his own job at risk is not worth the debate. Maybe such a person exists.

The largest problem OP faces is that he holds a ticket LAS-LAX. Whether he could route LAS-xxx-LAX is a different question than whether he can route LAS-LAX and then add on additional segments once he has been delivered to his final ticketed destination. What OP seeks is a change, not a SDC and that would be dealt with under the fare rules which would presumably price this as whatever the route prices at. As he is booked in F, no change fee.
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
This has nothing to do with connections. Once you land at your destination (LAX), it is over. Done. Get off the plane. Go home. Why would anyone think any airline in the world would allow to then fly to another city, and come back to your destination AGAIN?
Once you land and disembark, the flight is over. I understand that part... Why can't I get back on another plane and fly somewhere else?
OP seems to believe the airline is like a city transit system: pay once, travel wherever. You can do what OP wants on the New York subway, but not here.
hi55us likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Hey OP, please let us know how it goes. Just don't do it with checked luggage.

I want to know how surprised someone is when you say "you know how I want to go to LAX. Yeah, can I go to LAX, but then add LAX-JFK-LAX for 'reasons' "
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Often1
OP is free to ask an agent to reroute him as he seeks. The answer ought to be "no" but it is free to ask. Rather than debating whether some agent wants to help OP enough to put his own job at risk is not worth the debate. Maybe such a person exists.

The largest problem OP faces is that he holds a ticket LAS-LAX. Whether he could route LAS-xxx-LAX is a different question than whether he can route LAS-LAX and then add on additional segments once he has been delivered to his final ticketed destination. What OP seeks is a change, not a SDC and that would be dealt with under the fare rules which would presumably price this as whatever the route prices at. As he is booked in F, no change fee.
No changs fee for a DL FC ticket? Unlikely. I've never seen a G or A fare without the standard change fee. The same is true for most P fares, although there are refundable P fares that are probably exceptions.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
G and A are not F. F is F. OP says he is in F. If means G or A, then he will be subject to the fare rules for what he is booked into.

F is fully refundable (even after the flight has departed).
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:42 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Why can't I get back on another plane and fly somewhere else?
You absolutely can do this. Delta would be more than happy to help you here. They even have a documented process for doing it.

It's called "buying another ticket"

stop wasting everyone's time with this baloney.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
G and A are not F. F is F. OP says he is in F. If means G or A, then he will be subject to the fare rules for what he is booked into.

F is fully refundable (even after the flight has departed).
F means the First Class cabin. You've been here long enough to know that F,J, and Y are short hand for the cabin.
jinglish likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:06 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by tomst
The UA app/website have been known to offer all sorts of out of the box SDC possibilities that you probably would not be able to get from an agent, see the UA SDC thread...
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm no expert either, but why would you ask for LAS LAX JFK LAX instead of just LAS JFK LAX? the latter gets you your stuff to California too.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm no expert either, but why would you ask for LAS LAX JFK LAX instead of just LAS JFK LAX? the latter gets you your stuff to California too.
It's in the OP. Second line. He wants to drop off stuff from LAS back at LAX before going to JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.