Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Boarding Abuse - Delta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 4:58 pm

Wow. I was actually googling the requirements for Delta's pre-boarding for those with disabilities to see if I needed to check with the gate agent or get a special ticket when I came across this thread. I realize it's old, but a lot of these comments are pathetic and some of you should really be ashamed of yourselves.

First of all, flying with children. It's difficult. Even if you don't have a stroller or an infant in your lap or a carseat. A toddler who can walk and talk just fine probably still needs some extra time getting situated in their seat and getting their snacks and entertainment and all that ready to go- especially if a stranger is going to be sitting in a seat adjacent to them, or in the window seat when you have the middle and aisle. An older child may have disabilities or difficulties that you can't see and needs extra time to situate themselves. Both parents boarding with the child isn't going to hurt you, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Secondly, not all disabilities are able to be seen, and it's illegal to ask someone what their disability is. So with Southwest's policy, or AA's policy... if a completely able bodied person wants to pre-board, all they need to do is go up and say "I am disabled and need a special ticket." It HAS to be given to them. There is no way around that. You can't ask what someone's disability is. Furthermore, just because you can't see someone's disability doesn't mean they don't have one. Some people have mental disabilities that may require them to board early and become comfortable with their surroundings, familiarize themselves with the exits, get to know the flight attendants, become comfortable with sitting on the plane, etc. The guy with the tennis racquets someone mentioned earlier? Maybe he was BSing, or maybe he was on he way back from a tournament in which he was injured. And again, just because you can't see someone's injury doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I am disabled, but I'll be traveling with a carry-on suitcase and a backpack. I can't afford to check my bag. It's painful, but I try to get through it so I can get on the plane and make sure I'm comfortable in my seat, and not trying to do all of that while I'm surrounded by other passengers who are bumping into me or trying to get by me to get to their own seat.

Are there people who abuse the system? Of course. Does it affect you? I can't imagine how it would aside from maybe having to gate check your bag if the plane runs out of overhead space. I've never seen a flight with pre-boarding experience a delay- let alone a significant one- due to people boarding earlier than everyone else. Get over yourselves. You have no idea what other people are going through.
moondog, muji, robert53000 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've decided that when I am assigned to row 1, I'm going to pre-board. I've had too many instances of having to put my bags above the first row of Y because pax who sit in rows 2-4 decide to use the bins above row 1. Also, I'll be 65 in January, and over the past year or so I've simply slowed down and need an extra minute or so when I reach my seat. If I am sitting in a window seat, I won't try to bolt off the flight when we land, but wait for a decent sized break in the line to get up and get my things.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
I’m sorry, but this is just insane. The graph lists 8 categories but there are actually 10 with Pre Boarding and Early Access. At the very least, those two need to be combined.

Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by FFSFO
Wow. I was actually googling the requirements for Delta's pre-boarding for those with disabilities to see if I needed to check with the gate agent or get a special ticket when I came across this thread. I realize it's old, but a lot of these comments are pathetic and some of you should really be ashamed of yourselves.

First of all, flying with children. It's difficult. Even if you don't have a stroller or an infant in your lap or a carseat. A toddler who can walk and talk just fine probably still needs some extra time getting situated in their seat and getting their snacks and entertainment and all that ready to go- especially if a stranger is going to be sitting in a seat adjacent to them, or in the window seat when you have the middle and aisle. An older child may have disabilities or difficulties that you can't see and needs extra time to situate themselves. Both parents boarding with the child isn't going to hurt you, so I don't see what the big deal is.

Secondly, not all disabilities are able to be seen, and it's illegal to ask someone what their disability is. So with Southwest's policy, or AA's policy... if a completely able bodied person wants to pre-board, all they need to do is go up and say "I am disabled and need a special ticket." It HAS to be given to them. There is no way around that. You can't ask what someone's disability is. Furthermore, just because you can't see someone's disability doesn't mean they don't have one. Some people have mental disabilities that may require them to board early and become comfortable with their surroundings, familiarize themselves with the exits, get to know the flight attendants, become comfortable with sitting on the plane, etc. The guy with the tennis racquets someone mentioned earlier? Maybe he was BSing, or maybe he was on he way back from a tournament in which he was injured. And again, just because you can't see someone's injury doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I am disabled, but I'll be traveling with a carry-on suitcase and a backpack. I can't afford to check my bag. It's painful, but I try to get through it so I can get on the plane and make sure I'm comfortable in my seat, and not trying to do all of that while I'm surrounded by other passengers who are bumping into me or trying to get by me to get to their own seat.

Are there people who abuse the system? Of course. Does it affect you? I can't imagine how it would aside from maybe having to gate check your bag if the plane runs out of overhead space. I've never seen a flight with pre-boarding experience a delay- let alone a significant one- due to people boarding earlier than everyone else. Get over yourselves. You have no idea what other people are going through.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! If you stick around any longer than this one post, you will realize that most of us fly a lot and would just prefer if the people who dont fly but every once in a while would just stay home and not clog up our routines. That said, this thread reflects those opinions but most of those same people will also provide useful information and help you out with questions, even if it has been asked a hundred times. I also do realize that a majority of the non business less frequent flyers may shop price exclusively and may not be familiar with the nuances of a particular airline because they are looking for the shortest trip for the least amount of money.

As for the question that you had that brought you to this thread, no you dont need to do anything special to board with those who have disabilities or need extra time with boarding. Just line up when they call you or work your way up to the line when you see wheelchairs rolling up.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Marylou
I’m sorry, but this is just insane. The graph lists 8 categories but there are actually 10 with Pre Boarding and Early Access. At the very least, those two need to be combined.

Pre-boarding is legally required. Early access for parents is not, and the law requires they be separate. All pre-boarding passengers should be seated before the next group begins boarding.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Marylou
There's actually an 11th Boarding Zone: Military. which comes after the first group of pre-boards and usually before Delta One/First Class.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
There's actually an 11th Boarding Zone: Military. which comes after the first group of pre-boards and usually before Delta One/First Class.
And possibly even a 12th boarding zone...those who volunteer their seats for a VDB voucher and at the very last second before the doors are closed are told to board as DL ultimately won’t need your seats after all due to no-shows who checked-in or confirmed passengers stuck in Customs or on a tight connection.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Widgets

Pre-boarding is legally required. Early access for parents is not, and the law requires they be separate. All pre-boarding passengers should be seated before the next group begins boarding.
I learned something today. I never knew that. Otherwise, I really see no point in early boarding these days. It doesn't seem to make boarding any quicker.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
And possibly even a 12th boarding zone...those who volunteer their seats for a VDB voucher and at the very last second before the doors are closed are told to board as DL ultimately won’t need your seats after all due to no-shows who checked-in or confirmed passengers stuck in Customs or on a tight connection.
There actually is a "12th" group and (perhaps appropriately) it's those with "12 Status" in Seattle, where if you're signed up for "12 Status", you get to priority boarding on flights in Seattle.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Aug 10, 2019 at 12:44 pm Reason: Fix Typos
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
There actually is a "12th"group and (perhaps appropriately) it's those with "12 Status" in Seattle, where if you're signed up for "12 Status", you get to board priority boarding on flights in Seattle.
Nicoolio, wrp96 and ATOBTTR like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Widgets

Which law is this?

found it: https://wheelchairtravel.org/airline...aw-violations/
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by emma dog
That's a blogger's interpretation of the law and associated regulatory agency guidance.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's a blogger's interpretation of the law and associated regulatory agency guidance.
True. But here’s the DOT’s document:
https://www.transportation.gov/sites...%20Final_0.pdf

pretty interesting. Learned something new today.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I’d rather see people take advantage of the system without justification than have the GAs challenge people who have a disability or illness that is not visible. In regard to pax who board with a wheelchair but disembark without one, it is more confusing, tiring, and stressful to get through check-in, TSA, finding a gate, and standing in a long line to board than it is to walk off the plane and wait for an electric cart or walk straight to baggage claim.

I think the airport size also plays a role. For example my mother has to have a wheelchair in Atlanta. But we fly to Knoxville Tennessee. She can make it from the gate in Knoxville to baggage claim without a wheelchair. Dramatically smaller airport.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: A few
I was on a "Miracle" flight this week, during the boarding process, I watched about 7 people who pre-boarded (I can say for the record that at least 1 of the 7 was faking it). Upon arriving to my seat, one pre-boarder was seated next to me with a cane and was trying to work it into the overhead bin, I helped her maneuver it in so the bin door would close and didn't think much about it until we landed.

Upon arriving at the gate, and as soon as the seatbelt sign was off and the accompanying "ding", she caught my attention when she got up pretty quickly, grabbed her bag(s) and cane and stood in the aisle ... I ended up following her up the jetway and into the terminal, at which point she was miraculously cured, tucked the cane under her left arm while she drug her bags with her right arm, quickly enough that I could barely keep up with her pace.

I laughed to myself and wondered if there was a thread on FT about "Miracle flights" ... when I came across this thread, I had to share!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.