Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DeltaOne JFK - LAX or United PS EWR - LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:05 am
Original Poster

I have a flight coming up in a few months and with prices for the two being about the same, I am up in the air as to whether it was worth Lyfting out to JFK (I'm about 15 minutes from EWR). It looks like the D1 flight would be on a 767 if that helps with anyone's responses.

I don't have status with either airline and really just want to have the best experience going out to LAX (within reason of course). If anyone has flown the two and can compare/contrast or wants to weigh in, it would be appreciated.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I've never flown United PS, but I don't think D1 on a 767 is worth going an extra hour out of your way.

The 767 is great in Y, but it's not the nicest in D1. In addition, DL at LAX is undergoing a lot of construction and work right now, so the product there (lounges, etc) isn't exactly up to par, if you're planning on buying a round trip ticket.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's a Delta A330 in the schedule most days in November. That might be worth the Lyft ride.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's a Delta A330 in the schedule most days in November. That might be worth the Lyft ride.
I’m looking at the end of March so right now it looks like the 767.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cerps343
I don't have status with either airline and really just want to have the best experience going out to LAX (within reason of course).
Neither will give you the best experience.

Since you don't have status, suggest you fly JetBlue Mint, the absolute best premium transcon experience, much better than DL especially on their crappy old 763.
Here is my comparison of the two...
JetBlue Mint
Delta One
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM 3MM
I have flown DL D1, UA J and JetBlue Mint in the last 12 months NYC-SFO. I agree with SFO777 - JetBlue is incredible - especially if you get the 1 x 1 row (it alternates 2x2, 1,1, 2x2). I would take JetBlue Mint anytime - Food, IFE, service way above DL/UA. Between UA and DL, I look at the aircraft. UA dense 777 (8 across!) is the worst unless you have a companion - and even then, you better be comfortable close to each other! However, it is an experience flying backwards (1/2 the J seats face backwards) on the 777 once. DL 767 comes in next to last for me in D1 - I try to avoid that bird although the seats do all have aisle access. I had 2 of my 3 767's this year have problems - once, my seat was broken and stuck in the upright most uncomfortable position, the other time the IFE was out. They are old. The DL 330 is above the 767 but below the 757 for me but I am sure there are 330 cheerleaders who will chime in otherwise. Like the 767 the 330's have aisle access but the interiors are old. I like the DL 757 and the UA 757 for seat comfort / IFE screens but they are 2x2 layout which seems OK to me for a 6hr flight. I do like DL soft product much better than UA (blankets, food, clubs, IFE). UA food has been really nasty lately (IMO). I give the nod to DL if you get a good seat and I like JFK much more than EWR to wait for the flight (also note, a Delta D1 domestic gets you access to the lounge whereas you won't get access to a UC on a domestic first class ticket)

Last edited by rileydogmi; Sep 17, 2018 at 11:21 am
Old Sep 17, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by SFO777
Neither will give you the best experience.

Since you don't have status, suggest you fly JetBlue Mint, the absolute best premium transcon experience, much better than DL especially on their crappy old 763.
Here is my comparison of the two...
JetBlue Mint
Delta One
Second the Mint experience. I've done PS a few times but not D1. My experience with B6 and the Mint product was very good, including seating in the single seat option.

Without status on either airline there isn't much benefit on the ground anyways.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Decision is simple - should be either Jet Blue Mint or AA Flagship F, which is comparable to the throne seats Jet Blue is flying JFK-LAX.

United is such a lousy experience out of Newark, I wouldn't consider it unless it's $100-$200 less than Delta/JetBlue.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I've done both quite a few time. I prefer DL and JFK.

DL advantages:
1-2-1 seating
better lounge at JFK (but UA wins at LAX)
cleaner aircraft
somewhat more reliable, somewhat more consistent service
better amenity kit (if that matters at all)
don't have to deal with EWR

UA advantages:
better food
better seat (DL uses same seat on their 757s)

If you fly DL, it's best to enter at JFK T2 and take the shuttle to T4.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hi55us
Decision is simple - should be either Jet Blue Mint or AA Flagship F, which is comparable to the throne seats Jet Blue is flying JFK-LAX.

United is such a lousy experience out of Newark, I wouldn't consider it unless it's $100-$200 less than Delta/JetBlue.
AA Flagship F is an F, not J product. Despite this it uses the same seat type as J on DL A330. Also costs at least a thousand or two more. AA J uses same seat as J on DL 757.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
AA Flagship F is an F, not J product. Despite this it uses the same seat type as J on DL A330. Also costs at least a thousand or two more. AA J uses same seat as J on DL 757.
+1 Although depending on how far in advance you book, you can get JFK-LAX in AA First is as "little" as $1,150 OW. I'll fly AA First if I can get a cheap J fare, then use a SWU to upgrade to F.
But service is usually so-so from senior entitled FAs. Food is not very good and the in flight wines even worse. B6 catering is far better IMO.

The only advantages that AA First has going for it are the single seat and especially Flagship Dining at JFK.

Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:28 pm
Suspended

I have a flight coming up in a few months and with prices for the two being about the same, I am up in the air as to whether it was worth Lyfting out to JFK (I'm about 15 minutes from EWR). It looks like the D1 flight would be on a 767 if that helps with anyone's responses.

I don't have status with either airline and really just want to have the best experience going out to LAX (within reason of course). If anyone has flown the two and can compare/contrast or wants to weigh in, it would be appreciated.
No brainer -- Neither DL, AA or B6 are close to worth flying into JFK if you are 15 minutes from EWR. Depending on traffic 60-120 minutes. Lyft is showing $100 + If you are headed south or west of EWR will be even longer and more expensive. Also, B6 doesn't have a lounge at LAX. I'm not a fan of UA but unless you were chasing status on another airline, no way to justify flying into JFK on this one.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m looking at the end of March so right now it looks like the 767.
The 7:00AM and 6:15PM flights are A330's (the other 8 daily flights are a mix of 757 and 767). The 757's do not have direct aisle access from the window seats.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LBJ
The 7:00AM and 6:15PM flights are A330's (the other 8 daily flights are a mix of 757 and 767). The 757's do not have direct aisle access from the window seats.
And the 330 is light years better than the DL 767 (or UA's 752s).
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
I don’t think there’s enough of a difference to outweigh the distance of JFK. UA’s 757 has my least favorite business seats, the BE Diamonds with the absurd triangular footwells and bulky headrests that get in the way for tall people like me when fully flat, but DL’s 767s are old and tired. At the end of the day, if you’re that close to EWR, I’d choose UA 100% of the time instead of risking dealing with bad traffic to JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.