Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FO Priority Check-In Denied at PDX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Delta says FO can use SP if no dedicated FO line is available regardless of what signage may say.
I don't think that they actually published the strong wording in the quote.above

Airlines always leave wiggle room in restricting perks which are not published in the ticket fine print. And of course they reserve the right to make changes at any time in the FF benefits. As a passenger expecting a perk one can always ask why the denial and maybe there is some room for accommodation if it was a misunderstanding of the signage or general rule.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Lomapaseo
I don't think that they actually published the strong wording in the quote.above

Airlines always leave wiggle room in restricting perks which are not published in the ticket fine print. And of course they reserve the right to make changes at any time in the FF benefits. As a passenger expecting a perk one can always ask why the denial and maybe there is some room for accommodation if it was a misunderstanding of the signage or general rule.
Even if they did publish it on a website - it doesn't change the fact that the employee standing in front of you may (incorrectly) deny you access.

Most DL agents are usually quite nice. The reaction of some others' in this thread makes you feel for the types of people the poor employees have to put up with.

At the end of the day, a station and it's agents set the standards at their location. A complete picture of this scenario would be to know what PDX's SkyPriority signage allows; if their signage doesn't allow it, I don't think the fine print of a website is going to sway the employee's mind much.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
Blah blah blah I am a DYWIA blah blah blah FO blah blah blah not entitled blah blah blah.

Delta says FO can use SP if no dedicated FO line is available regardless of what signage may say. I suspect op encountered a new employee who doesn't know the rules.
Perhaps the most childish and unhelpful reply I've seen on FT in awhile.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Rather than apologizing for being a jerk and admitting you were wrong, you decide to double-down on being a jerk and make generalizations that you didn't even back up. Can you back up what you're claiming here about "everyone" is "the first to say"? Or is your gross generalization just a poor attempt to divert some of the attention away from your being a jerk to the OP and your mistake?

Of course, even if you prove your generalization, it only hurts your case as your generalization is that "everyone" you're grouping here believes someone should pay the fare difference and fees (thus follow the rules) while those who have pointed out you're wrong have pointed about what OP would be entitled to based on DL's rules. So you managed to back yourself into a corner and look foolish with your double-down. Good job. ^

And there are nice ways to point out things to an OP if you think they're wrong rather than mocking them and being a jerk. You chose not to go the nice route so for you to say someone could "nicely point out" something is a bit comical and ironic to say the least.
Pot, meet kettle.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
As someone who has flown from PDX a lot I am 99.9% sure the sign at the entrance says silver medallion there on the bottom. If anything it’s more embarrassing that they don’t even know what the sign says that they are standing infront of
Old Sep 15, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Even if they did publish it on a website - it doesn't change the fact that the employee standing in front of you may (incorrectly) deny you access.
And yet you mocked the OP and were an unnecessary jerk when the OP had the audacity (in your eyes) to ask here on FT to inquire if he/she was incorrectly denied access to the SP line as an FO....
diburning and jinglish like this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by vincentharris
As someone who has flown from PDX a lot I am 99.9% sure the sign at the entrance says silver medallion there on the bottom. If anything it’s more embarrassing that they don’t even know what the sign says that they are standing infront of

Sorry couldn't resist.
vincentharris likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I have seen what appears to be very new, junior, or even contract employees at the end of those lines. That might be the answer for not knowing the rules.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: Delta, United
For the OP : https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...on-status.html
Amenities at the Airport
  • Priority check-in (5)
Here is for gold: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...on-status.html
Amenities at the Airport
  • Sky Priority® suite of services including check-in, priority security line access, expedited baggage service, and Sky Priority Boarding(7)
But finding this bit is harder

9. Priority Check-In: Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members may use the Sky Priority check-in lanes. Certain airports may have a dedicated check-in lane for Silver Medallion Members. At airports which do not have a dedicated Silver Medallion check-in lane, Silver Medallion Members are permitted to use the Sky Priority check-in lane.
crank1225, MSPeconomist and hi55us like this.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Sep 15, 2018 at 9:57 pm
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
What is it with PDX and rouge Delta employees? Or all they all disgruntled ex-Northwest employees?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 11:31 pm

It has been quite a long time since I have seen a dragon policing the sky check in lane. OP is absolutely 100% right that they are entitled to use it and they should stand up to their right to use it. I use to always point to the sign when I was called out as an FO and said “but the sign says...” and they would begrudgingly let me through. Long story short, I complained when it became clear that the dragon would only ask people if they qualified if they didn’t think they qualified, and the dragons disappeared.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I believe that many of the so called "guards" or "line dragons" are trained to first assume people don't know where they are going or to possibly profile the line for those that might not look like they belong.
I'm a DM but I am usually very casually dressed when I fly. I also normally travel with a backpack. Because of the profiling, I have frequently been turned away from the SkyPriority line at ATL until I turn around and let the dragon see the shiny metal tag on my backpack.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ecaarch
I'm a DM but I am usually very casually dressed when I fly. I also normally travel with a backpack. Because of the profiling, I have frequently been turned away from the SkyPriority line at ATL until I turn around and let the dragon see the shiny metal tag on my backpack.
I normally dress in T-shirt and shorts when travelling long haul. Majority of the time an agent says something. Normally a "I know" is enough. Sometimes they get aggressive. I just stand firm with an "I know" again and then make a complaint with a red coat or manager.
jinglish likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DCP2016
What is it with PDX and rouge Delta employees? Or all they all disgruntled ex-Northwest employees?
There are plenty of Delta-origin employees in PDX, going back ~25 years to the TPAC ops of Delta.

I am through PDX regularly and don't find the employees, on the whole, very different from any other midsize station. There are a few bad/undertrained ones throughout the system.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:36 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

As this thread is filled with so many personal attacks, keeping it open serves no purpose.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.