Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy vs Main Cabin vs Comfort

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Basic Economy vs Main Cabin vs Comfort

I'm flying to Milan from NYC in February 2019 and found a great deal ($479 r/t) for basic economy with Delta. I am trying to weigh the options or spending more for Main Cabin which allows seat selection and changes (for $300!) or the Comfort seat which is $843. The Main Cabin benefit seems to not be much of a benefit. I'm traveling with my wife and I would assume that Delta would try to keep us together or at least assist us in switching seat once on board. Is that giving them too much credit?
The comfort level has somewhat bigger seats and you get free drinks. We don't plan on drinking so I don't want to pay for that. The entertainment system"upgrade" is not enticing either. It's just the seat that sounds good. Is it that much better?
Any flown to Milan on an Airbus A330? Is it a big difference? I love the low price but...
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:24 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by NYCConcierge
I'm flying to Milan from NYC in February 2019 and found a great deal ($479 r/t) for basic economy with Delta. I am trying to weigh the options or spending more for Main Cabin which allows seat selection and changes (for $300!) or the Comfort seat which is $843. The Main Cabin benefit seems to not be much of a benefit. I'm traveling with my wife and I would assume that Delta would try to keep us together or at least assist us in switching seat once on board. Is that giving them too much credit?
The comfort level has somewhat bigger seats and you get free drinks. We don't plan on drinking so I don't want to pay for that. The entertainment system"upgrade" is not enticing either. It's just the seat that sounds good. Is it that much better?
Any flown to Milan on an Airbus A330? Is it a big difference? I love the low price but...

Welcom to FlyerTalk!

As your question is about Delta, we’ve moved it to the more approximate forum for the experts here to address. /JY1024, AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:49 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
So the Basic vs Main cabin doesn't change the seat experience, just no seat assignments until the end. I wouldn't count on being together with your wife, you'll be likely in middle seats.

If you check a bag it is $60 one way on Basic. Main you get one free up to 50#.

The comfort seats are more leg room and that's very valuable to me. (I'm 6'5)
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
I flew two legs in Basic Economy yesterday. Got a middle seat in the very last row on both. It was fine. I arrived at my destination the same time as the rest of the passengers!
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
The alcohol and entertainment selection is identical in main cabin, basic or not, and comfort plus, on an international flight - complimentary for all.

Domestic connections (if any), entertainment is theasy same but alcohol is not free on domestic connections outside of basic economy or first class
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm traveling with my wife and I would assume that Delta would try to keep us together or at least assist us in switching seat once on board. Is that giving them too much credit?
Delta (or AA, or UA) will not try to keep you together; the intent of BE tickets is to allow passengers to sacrifice conveniences like sitting together and checked bags in exchange for a rock bottom price.

Now, if you were price shopping Main Cabin for $779 or C+ for $843, I would say the extra legroom is definitely worth $64.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL DM
I flew my first BE domestic RT yesterday. Outbound was an A320. The GA did a "courtesy upgrade" to put me in a C+ seat as there was only one other person seated in C+ out of 18 seats, with 50+ empty seats in Y. Return was on a CRJ900, so there was no danger of middle seats. Boarded with Sky each direction, checked 3x 70lb bags (camera equipment) for free as a PM.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:02 am
Original Poster

The choices are:
$479 Basic Economy
Pros: Price
Cons: Small seat, no seat assignment
$643 Main Cabin
Pros: Pick seats, earlier access to overhead storage
Cons: Price, same small seats
$841 Comfort
Pros: Bigger seats, better meals
Cons; Higher price
Cons: Price
I haven't included the alcohol perk because it doesn't matter to us and having a dedicated storage area (comfort) is no big deal. The meal thing isn't much of a pro or con really because we can pack better food than they'll serve us.
Just can't decide to roll the dice on the cheap seats.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It's the same seat - the difference is pitch: more legroom in a Comfort+ seat. Basic Economy seats are the same as Main Cabin seats - you're just more likely to be in the back or in a middle seat.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:17 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The choices are:
$479 Basic Economy
Pros: Price
Cons: Small seat, no seat assignment
$643 Main Cabin
Pros: Pick seats, earlier access to overhead storage
Cons: Price, same small seats
$841 Comfort
Pros: Bigger seats, better meals
Cons; Higher price
Cons: Price
I haven't included the alcohol perk because it doesn't matter to us and having a dedicated storage area (comfort) is no big deal. The meal thing isn't much of a pro or con really because we can pack better food than they'll serve us.
Just can't decide to roll the dice on the cheap seats.
On international flights, you already get free booze in main cabin/basic economy.

I am pretty sure C+ gets the same meal as the rest of coach unless something has changed very recently. C+ will get served first, so they'll all get their choice, in the back you may get stuck with whatever is left.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:59 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
If you are ok with a middle seat, book basic economy. Everything is the same. If you want to choose your seat book main cabin. I wouldn't pay that much extra for C+ unless you're really tall. As others have said, it's also the same seat and service, just a little more legroom.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Great info! Thank you!!!
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:12 am

Save the $300 or $240 if you check a bag. I’m sure loads will be lighter that time of year, and Delta does seat you together if possible. I’ve never been separated from a traveling partner when flying basic economy.

Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:40 am

Do basic economy fares allow for buy-up to an exit row or other preferred seat?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATLMike1234
Do basic economy fares allow for buy-up to an exit row or other preferred seat?
"*Basic Economy (E) fares are not eligible for paid or complimentary Preferred Seats, regardless of Medallion or other elite status."

https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...d-seating.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.