FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   MSP F/G SkyClub Upgrades and New Club (consolidated thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1928001-msp-f-g-skyclub-upgrades-new-club-consolidated-thread.html)

jrkmsp Aug 29, 2018 8:44 pm

MSP F/G SkyClub Upgrades and New Club (consolidated thread)

...and an expansion of the Concourse G gatehold areas.

The most recent Metropolitan Airports Commission agenda includes the airport's seven-year capital improvement plan. Details are scarce, but there's a $30 million project for 2020 involving "partnering with Delta Airlines for expanded Concourse G gatehold and SkyClub space." The F/G SkyClub is a pretty sorry hub club — so I have high hopes for any expansion. Showers? More seating? Better food? Dare to dream.

I'll also be thankful to see more gatehold space in the G concourse. Those gates are too small for the size of planes using the gates today.

Here's the capital improvement plan if anyone else is interested in what MSP will be spending money on over the next seven years.

http://metroairports.granicus.com/Me...&meta_id=42746

tentseller Aug 29, 2018 9:24 pm

While the bar reno looks nice I just can't handle the hallway breakout food atmosphere of the temporary food service area.

flyerCO Aug 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 30146233)
...and an expansion of the Concourse G gatehold areas.

The most recent Metropolitan Airports Commission agenda includes the airport's seven-year capital improvement plan. Details are scarce, but there's a $30 million project for 2020 involving "partnering with Delta Airlines for expanded Concourse G gatehold and SkyClub space." The F/G SkyClub is a pretty sorry hub club — so I have high hopes for any expansion. Showers? More seating? Better food? Dare to dream.

I'll also be thankful to see more gatehold space in the G concourse. Those gates are too small for the size of planes using the gates today.

Here's the capital improvement plan if anyone else is interested in what MSP will be spending money on over the next seven years.

http://metroairports.granicus.com/Me...&meta_id=42746

I'd expect a Skydeck and showers plus additional seating. They've already added food, and while they might reconfigire it, I doubt there would be more food items.

AANYC1981 Aug 29, 2018 10:39 pm

And to think this is one of Deltas revamped clubs.....it’s really terrible.

MSPeconomist Aug 30, 2018 12:12 am

I really wish they would bring back the quiet area--and enforce it. A return of cubicles would be even better.

flyerCO Aug 30, 2018 12:32 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30146736)
I really wish they would bring back the quiet area--and enforce it. A return of cubicles would be even better.

We couldn't hear how important certain people are if they kept people quiet. :(

NOLAnwGOLD Aug 30, 2018 1:01 am

Yeah, I've always hated this club, which is an odd space, poorly used, and they last few changes were just lipstick on a pig, refurbishing it. The bar and food area is the best bit of the club but it needs serious redesign and updating. Lots of room for improvement and can't wait. I like the C concourse club even though it was done some time ago, has a nice feel and the different rooms are nice to give it a nice coziness. to it. Though during the summers, I think the fireplace could be off.

DLmedalliongold Aug 30, 2018 7:31 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 30146859)
Yeah, I've always hated this club, which is an odd space, poorly used, and they last few changes were just lipstick on a pig, refurbishing it. The bar and food area is the best bit of the club but it needs serious redesign and updating. Lots of room for improvement and can't wait. I like the C concourse club even though it was done some time ago, has a nice feel and the different rooms are nice to give it a nice coziness. to it. Though during the summers, I think the fireplace could be off.

I always thought it was strange they ran the fireplace when it's 85 degrees outside. Silly.

jrkmsp Aug 30, 2018 8:03 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD (Post 30146859)

Agreed. The only views are of the connection to the F concourse and the service road along the terminal. If you crane your neck, you can see some planes. It would be awesome if this renovation also delivered a SkyDeck with killer views of the parallel runways.

KissFlyGoodbye Aug 31, 2018 11:26 am

about time really. I hated this club and where it was at as well.

GopherMSP Aug 31, 2018 11:57 am

My preferred lounge at MSP is the Escape lounge. Hopefully they make the F/G SkyClub competitive again.

jrkmsp Aug 31, 2018 2:28 pm

Looks like Delta is planning an all new G concourse club. That would be swell.

https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti...0-million.html

ATOBTTR Aug 31, 2018 4:33 pm

It's funny to me how MSP is a tale of two SC's - one of my favorites and one of my least favorites. I love the C SkyClub with all those nooks creating several mini-areas for some great privacy and relaxation. The F/G Club is very "meh" though.

SJC ORD LDR Aug 31, 2018 6:18 pm

I really don't like the MSP lounges very much. The F/G club has no view and both clubs have horrible bathrooms.

SEA and SFO have much nicer lounges and that should be the standard for DL going forward.

NOLAnwGOLD Sep 3, 2018 1:51 am

The PGA experience for Priority Pass was ok. You get a $15 voucher for food at the nearby restaurants or to use at the bar in the lounge. I grabbed a salad at French Meadow to go. Not bad to quick stop in for this (then head to the C club). Escape seemed nice when it was in PP.

jrkmsp Sep 4, 2018 10:06 am

A few new details came out at the MAC commission meeting today about the proposed new club and concourse buildout. The six-gate "pod five" for gates 17-22 (which we all know is totally overcrowded) will get expanded at the concourse level to provide more space, and then a brand new SkyClub will be built on a new level above the concourse — providing more space and hopefully a SkyDeck that we all want. If it's truly up on a third floor, we could get a SkyClub with views of both runways from there. Sounds pretty ideal to me. Hopefully this all comes together.

jd2601 Mar 18, 2019 9:41 am

New MSP Sky club gate G17

Any additional information on this sky club? Sign in F concourse Sky Club. You’ve been patient now be pampered. Enjoy a new 15,000 square foot Sky Club coming soon.

I have not seen this sign before.

xolinlevh Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...g-skyclub.html

puck021 Mar 18, 2019 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh (Post 30901380)

i sat next to a planning guy at MSP and he said the new SC would be at the end of the G concourse to ultimately serve the international arrivals area when they extend the concourse.

jdrtravel Mar 18, 2019 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 30166028)
A few new details came out at the MAC commission meeting today about the proposed new club and concourse buildout. The six-gate "pod five" for gates 17-22 (which we all know is totally overcrowded) will get expanded at the concourse level to provide more space, and then a brand new SkyClub will be built on a new level above the concourse — providing more space and hopefully a SkyDeck that we all want. If it's truly up on a third floor, we could get a SkyClub with views of both runways from there. Sounds pretty ideal to me. Hopefully this all comes together.

Is this where that observation deck was (or is it still there?)

puck021 Mar 18, 2019 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 30902361)
Is this where that observation deck was (or is it still there?)

There is still an observation deck on the D concourse but it’s strangely closed a lot.

jdrtravel Mar 18, 2019 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by puck021 (Post 30902374)

There is still an observation deck on the D concourse but it’s strangely closed a lot.

I could swear that there used to be one in the G concourse. Not the long part but the section at the very start of G. I believe it was closed for a while after 9/11 but then maybe reopened.

kop84 Mar 18, 2019 4:01 pm

I'm pretty sure there is still an observation deck in D concourse. There is a staircase up just past the McDonalds. I believe it's open most of the time.

Now to me a SkyDeck in MSP, much like owning a pool here, SOUNDS like a much better idea than it actually is. It would be beautiful like 4 months out of the year when it's not too hot or too cold.

Troppy Mar 18, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by GopherMSP (Post 30152823)
My preferred lounge at MSP is the Escape lounge. Hopefully they make the F/G SkyClub competitive again.

i completely agree. It’s even better since they severed the relationship with the CSR cardholders.

pfreet Mar 18, 2019 6:16 pm

It seems to me that airport amenities are improving to the point where the sky club is becoming less and less valuable to me. The restaurant just outside the MSP F/G club is wonderful, stylish, good service and good food. Walking into the sky club sometimes feels like a let down.

KDCAflyer Mar 18, 2019 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by pfreet (Post 30903044)
It seems to me that airport amenities are improving to the point where the sky club is becoming less and less valuable to me. The restaurant just outside the MSP F/G club is wonderful, stylish, good service and good food. Walking into the sky club sometimes feels like a let down.

Especially when PP often gives enough credit for a full meal and a drink.

jdrtravel Mar 18, 2019 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by pfreet (Post 30903044)

If food is the primary objective, then this is true. However, if you are looking for a comfortable place to settle in, with easy access to power, snacks, a clean restroom, wifi, access to DL agents for flight issues and a generally more relaxed environment (I know this is not always the case) than a club usually wins. Especially when you compare a club to a chair or booth at a restaurant, with a server that wants to turn your table over as quickly as possible. I understand that this may not be true at clubs that are overcrowded or in need or renovation.

MSPeconomist Mar 18, 2019 8:26 pm

So it's not an expansion but rather a third SC in a totally different location.

It reminds me of the time when MSP had IIRC four PMNW WCs, with a couple of them being tiny rooms without many amenities.

jrkmsp Mar 18, 2019 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30903368)

It reminds me of the time when MSP had IIRC four PMNW WCs, with a couple of them being tiny rooms without many amenities.

I don't know if we can say for certain that the F/G SkyClub will remain after the G17 location opens. But it does seem somewhat unlikely that there would be no SkyClub in the main mall vicinity.

CoMooter Mar 18, 2019 9:00 pm

The Clubs at ATL used to be on the avoid list...but bow with the rebuilds between the food and drink they are actually a (somewhat) pleasant experience at least at times - hopefully MSP will get back to this point as well. Back in the NW days the clubs at MSP were OK, but space is needed...even more so than DTW...which also has issues on this count...

gruntermen Mar 18, 2019 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 30903117)
Especially when PP often gives enough credit for a full meal and a drink.

Not at MSP. The only PP lounge is the PGA club where you get a 15 dollar voucher good at a couple of restaurants. 15 bucks is not going to cover a meal and an alcoholic beverage at airport prices. The $28 that priority pass gives at most restaurants is sufficient although it annoys me to no end that I can't use any of the $28 for a tip.

sethb Mar 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 30903368)

I remember the situation at LGA D shortly after the merger, with two SkyClubs practically touching. Almost nobody could find one of them (take an immediate hard left/partial U turn after Security Theater).

DTWflyer Mar 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Good. The amount of G-G connections these days at the upper end its a hike down to the F Club or over the the C12 club.

I have always liked the C12 club and the various rooms and types of workspaces, and the views outside. Its always far more calm and quiet than the other clubs.

The F clubs stinks, its overcrowded, the seating sucks, lacks privacy, all you hear are other peoples' phone calls, the worstations too close together. Its a horrible design.

readywhenyouare Mar 18, 2019 11:30 pm

I always thought the C club was much nicer.

puck021 Mar 19, 2019 4:54 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare (Post 30903808)
I always thought the C club was much nicer.

here are the signs for the new G17 club with showers and deck plus new bathrooms and an expansion towards the roadway in the F/G club. That’s all good news.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...2d65ae0fa.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...390a32946.jpeg

puck021 Mar 19, 2019 4:56 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 30903466)
I don't know if we can say for certain that the F/G SkyClub will remain after the G17 location opens. But it does seem somewhat unlikely that there would be no SkyClub in the main mall vicinity.

I just heard from the SC Manager here that the F/G and C will remain open after the G17 club opens

cliburn Mar 19, 2019 6:17 am

Just saw the sign. This is needed... particularly out there.
Although if this goes like the other airport construction, we will be waiting a long time. Work not yet started.

jdrtravel Mar 19, 2019 8:17 am

wow! That looks beautiful! SO glad to see they are not using the same design everywhere and instead giving some unique look to different clubs. The dark colors are a good idea for that climate where they will add a feeling of warmth during cold winters.

mnredfox Mar 19, 2019 1:25 pm

What’s the projected open date? About time MSP get showers.

puck021 Mar 19, 2019 1:27 pm

I heard that they are starting this summer. So 2020 late maybe